Sponsored

GT350R VS ZL1 1LE On Track

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I almost agreed with you, but then I looked at the lap time and thought about it for a second. 6 seconds out of 3 minutes isn't very much. Just a longer track produces longer times.
Actually, it's a lot. Translates to ~ 1.5 seconds / mile of track. That's a 1.5 mph average advantage all the way around the track. It doesn't sound like much, but if you assume you cross start/finish at 60mph (which is pretty slow for most tracks), the gap on a one mile track is 132 feet. On a longer track, or faster section, that gap is larger. The average road course is somewhere around 2 miles. Let's say it's 100mph at start finish. The gap would be 440 feet. At VIR, the GT350R was doing ~ 135mph at start finish, so that gap was ~1200 feet. You can't tell me that's "not very much". And it gets bigger by that amount every lap.

If you don't think that's significant, go find someone that much faster at your next track day and try to stay with them. Let us know how that looks from your driver's seat. ;)
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What is your excuse on this one then?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-times-historical-data

Best Time by Porsche 911 GT2 RS 2:37.8
ZL1 1LE Lap Time 2:45.7
GT350R Lap Time 2:51.8

Give it up already. You have nothing to prove you are right while the evidence is solid and against you.
Excuse? I never claimed the GT350R was faster than the 1LE, because it's not. The 1LE has bigger wings, splitter, more tire, wider tires, and is faster than the GT350R. The GT350R is faster on track than a ZL1.

Having said that, Lightning Lap is a joke. A bunch of amateur journalists driving different cars (there isn't 1 journalist that drives then all) so you have a HUGE variance in driver ability driving competitive cars. It's not much better than watching a ZL1 turn faster laps than a Ford GT at a random track day.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually, it's a lot. Translates to ~ 1.5 seconds / mile of track. That's a 1.5 mph average advantage all the way around the track. It doesn't sound like much, but if you assume you cross start/finish at 60mph (which is pretty slow for most tracks), the gap on a one mile track is 132 feet. On a longer track, or faster section, that gap is larger. The average road course is somewhere around 2 miles. Let's say it's 100mph at start finish. The gap would be 440 feet. At VIR, the GT350R was doing ~ 135mph at start finish, so that gap was ~1200 feet. You can't tell me that's "not very much". And it gets bigger by that amount every lap.

If you don't think that's significant, go find someone that much faster at your next track day and try to stay with them. Let us know how that looks from your driver's seat. ;)
I've passed many vehicles that magazines have said are much faster than my lowly GT350. The last time I was at the track there was a new Corvette Z06 that I whipped by a few times. The first time I came up behind him he didn't let me by right away because he thought he would pull me on the straight. That didn't happen. He apologized in between sessions and in the later sessions he let me by immediately.

I may not even reply again because you don't seem to comprehend what I'm telling you. The 6 seconds in a 3 minute lap is close enough in performance that you don't know which car/driver combination will be faster until you get on track.

I'm not saying the cars are equal performers. I'm saying they are close enough that typical driver variation is significantly larger than the actual performance variation between the cars.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The 6 seconds in a 3 minute lap is close enough in performance that you don't know which car/driver combination will be faster until you get on track. I'm not saying the cars are equal performers. I'm saying they are close enough that typical driver variation is significantly larger than the actual performance variation between the cars.
Maybe in the novice group...

Have fun out there. :like:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

According to Hack, since someone can hang with other faster cars on the track he belives that makes the cars close in performance due to again driver capability. However he refuses to believe that any other lower spec car can hang with his car or the GT350R! I pointed this out. He disagreed 100%. For example in a Golf R or Focus RS forum there are other guys similar to Hack who believe their car can hang with the big boys like GT350R since they did it on track days. So in conclusion any car can be faster than any other on a track or close in performance due to who is behind the wheel. This is all psychological. I know i know but it makes them feel better. Lets leave it at that!

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ok lets fix it. ZL1 1LE and GT350R are close in performance with different levels of drivers, so is any other car which can endure some laps around a track without breaking down.

ZL1 1LE and GT350R are not close in performance and they are in a totally different league with the same professional driver onboard who can push these cars to their absolute maximum limits! There i fixed it for you :)

So true!

The supercharger helps the ZL1 1LE be faster in the straights.

and the superior suspension of the Shelby Mustang GT350R makes it handle far better in the corners.

That’s where the GRT350 shows its greater potential. It’s the superior car.

Put them on the same FI playing field and the R obliterates the ZL1.

The fact that the NA R can hang with an FI ZL1 with 1LE package with pro drivers shows how great it is.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

There's no group where all drivers are equal. It's just silly to think that. Like I said before, people aren't even equal to themselves at different times or on different days.

According to Hack, since someone can hang with other faster cars on the track he belives that makes the cars close in performance due to again driver capability. However he refuses to believe that any other lower spec car can hang with his car or the GT350R! I pointed this out. He disagreed 100%. For example in a Golf R or Focus RS forum there are other guys similar to Hack who believe their car can hang with the big boys like GT350R since they did it on track days. So in conclusion any car can be faster than any other on a track or close in performance due to who is behind the wheel. This is all psychological. I know i know but it makes them feel better. Lets leave it at that!
I already said I thought the regular GT PP Mustangs were close to my GT350. I understand you think I've won the argument and now you have to misrepresent what I've said previously. Here's something to jog your memory.

Hack said:
The car by itself just sits there, it doesn't spank anything.

On the road course I've passed many cars that are supposedly faster than mine. If the cars are close in capability it will come down to drivers. I've driven next to some Mustang PPs in my GT350 and they were close to the same as my GT350 - until we got to a tighter section of track and they fell behind. If they had better tires, a tune, even just a significantly better driver (I'm a novice) they probably would have walked away from me and their lap times would have been a few seconds faster than mine per lap. As it was, my lap times were several seconds faster.

Some people have no common sense and don't understand the real world. There was a ZL1 1LE at the track the last time I was there. He passed me once because I was held up by traffic and I was taking it somewhat easy. That was the only time all day he caught me. I did push harder in the later sessions. I'm not saying my regular GT350 is close to a ZL1 1LE in speed, but it wasn't fast enough to catch up to me a second time.

To be abundantly clear: when I say the cars are close I'm saying if you are in a GT350R and there is a ZL1 1LE on the track as well, you won't know whether you will be faster or not until you actually make some laps.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
So true!

The supercharger helps the ZL1 1LE be faster in the straights.

and the superior suspension of the Shelby Mustang GT350R makes it handle far better in the corners.

That’s where the GRT350 shows its greater potential. It’s the superior car.

Put them on the same FI playing field and the R obliterates the ZL1.

The fact that the NA R can hang with an FI ZL1 with 1LE package with pro drivers shows how great it is.
It can only hang with it depending on the driver, so can lets say a Golf GTI or Scion FRS! You agree but disagree! We don’t know with the current chassis and handling goodies if a force fed GT350R can hang with the ZL1 1LE! Extra power and torque may actually upset the car. GT500 will show us what actually will be required to beat the ZL1 1LE.

Don’t jump into conclusions. If you are really impressed with the potential of the GT350, then SS1LE has 70 less HP and still hangs with the GT350 or may surpass it depending on the track. Now tell me, which one is a greater car again? Its all about putting the power down effectively and taking advantage of the chassis. This still goes to camaro. ZL1 is one step above the SS1LE and ZL1 1LE is even above ZL1.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lol calling me a fanboy! I am not arguing over something not real! Its you! Call me a reality check! These two cars are not even close in performance.
Don’t jump into conclusions. If you are really impressed with the potential of the GT350, then SS1LE has 70 less HP and still hangs with the GT350 or may surpass it depending on the track. Now tell me, which one is a greater car again? Its all about putting the power down effectively and taking advantage of the chassis. This still goes to camaro. ZL1 is one step above the SS1LE and ZL1 1LE is even above ZL1.
You are really invested in "Camaro" being better than "Mustang" aren't you?

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You're the guy making all the excuses for a car that's objectively slower... :facepalm:

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Call me just impressed with the Chevy offering better all around performance for less money (actual sale prices) compared to the competition. It also bugs me that people are ok with it. I feel like if Ford guys like you keep believing that their cars are better or good enough, then Ford is not going to act on it.

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Call me just impressed with the Chevy offering better all around performance for less money (actual sale prices) compared to the competition. It also bugs me that people are ok with it. I feel like if Ford guys like you keep believing that their cars are better or good enough, then Ford is not going to act on it.
Let me get my lawyers and sue Ford asap to force their hand!

When I post the ZL1 > Ford GT thread there are going to be a lot of answers needed :)

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looks like you had fun. Although not a good example of the true capabilities of both cars with equal drivers. I can only assume if you 2 had switched cars and your drivermod was in the 1LE it would not have been close. Looked fun tho!

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Let me get my lawyers and sue Ford asap to force their hand!

When I post the ZL1 > Ford GT thread there are going to be a lot of answers needed :)
Lol! I m glad you pointed that out. Looks like the GT350R is pretty close in performance to a Ford GT as well :)

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Lol! I m glad you pointed that out. Looks like the GT350R is pretty close in performance to a Ford GT as well :)
The GT350R is faster than the ZL1, therefore the GT350R is faster than the Ford GT.
Sponsored