winter storage

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I've never been in Canada during the winter, but I have been in Minnesota, and was born and raised in NE Ohio. Aren't there days when the roads are clear and dry? Can get some 'Stang time that way. My .02
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I've never been in Canada during the winter, but I have been in Minnesota, and was born and raised in NE Ohio. Aren't there days when the roads are clear and dry? Can get some 'Stang time that way. My .02
Yes but our roads are salted with brine heavily. I have to move my car in late December 20mins down the street once so it’s not a big deal. Just pick a clear dry day after a rainfall.

W/Summer tires traction is always a problem. Most people store there muscle cars here in winter.

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
What's this "storage" ya'll speak of?

<---born and raised Texan

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I just drive it whenever the roads are clean. It don't snow everyday :facepalm:

lF8JXiO.jpg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
You're a brave man driving a soft-top in a Canadian winter. I hope your heater works real good. :like:
I have been known to drive top down as low as around 40F, and that’s without a wind blocker. Heat, seat and steering wheel on, plus the windows up, quite comfortable, and that’s on the highway to boot. The cockpit is much more comfortable than the old British stuff I’ve had in the past. And as regards snow, in Toronto we only get the occasional big dump and the roads are clear shortly after. The small dumps get pounded down by the traffic in short order. I’d say that between November and the end of March last winter, I drove on snow perhaps a dozen times, the rest is wet or bone dry.

Sponsored

Stealthfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
At -40 the MT-82 needs a few minutes to warm up before it will slot into gear nicely, the block heater only warms the engine so easy does it until everything is warmed up.
As a side note alcantara is far easier on the bare hands than the standard steering wheel in the cold.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. For everyone giving a jab and telling me to drive it, I made this for some help with winter storage. I use a chevy cruze for daily/winter driving.

Right now from what I got from the thread I will:
Fill with high oct fuel w/ stabilizer
add air pressure to tires few PSI past suggested
Park on top of tarp with carpet slab for each wheel
Remove battery, store indoors heated

Read a few different opinions of oil change before storage. Last one was done in may 2019 with 3.5kms put on since then.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When I had my 15’ GT I lived in South Dakota and stored it for the winters while I lived there.

I changed the oil, filled the tank, washed and waxed the out side, put car cover on, put a little xtra air in tires, put some rubber mats under tires, dryer sheets in exhaust pipes and around engine bay to ward off mice or other critters, put a battery tender on battery. Avoid starting car unless it’s dry roads and am able to take it out for a decent ride.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
When I had my 15’ GT I lived in South Dakota and stored it for the winters while I lived there.

I changed the oil, filled the tank, washed and waxed the out side, put car cover on, put a little xtra air in tires, put some rubber mats under tires, dryer sheets in exhaust pipes and around engine bay to ward off mice or other critters, put a battery tender on battery. Avoid starting car unless it’s dry roads and am able to take it out for a decent ride.
I would agree. If you can't take it out to drive, then it should stay in storage. I can't wrap my head around the owner's manual saying start the car every 15 days and run for 15 minutes. To me, this would result in a lot of cold start engine wear.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Back in the day I just put winter tires on and threw 2 bags of 80lb cement in the trunk I had traction for days.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would agree. If you can't take it out to drive, then it should stay in storage. I can't wrap my head around the owner's manual saying start the car every 15 days and run for 15 minutes. To me, this would result in a lot of cold start engine wear.
Don't you technically cold start your car everyday? I wouldn't think 2 times a month is doing anything to it. What's the difference in 24 hours between starts and 15 days? Not being a smartass actually asking?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you technically cold start your car everyday? I wouldn't think 2 times a month is doing anything to it. What's the difference in 24 hours between starts and 15 days? Not being a smartass actually asking?
Most people probably cold start there cars at least 2 times per day before work and after work. So yeah whatever damage this is doing is not much. Also I guess if the car manual suggest you to start it and drive it for a bit every 15 days than that's what is supposed to be done.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would say the only difference is IF the protective oil film coating the moving parts somehow thins out and drains back to the pan more in two weeks vs 24hrs. Then obviously there is a difference. I don't know enough about the properties of oil to know if this would even be something to consider. On the other hand when oil is cold it tends to flow less and stick better.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
There is a big difference between starting the car and letting it idle 15 minutes in frigid weather and starting it and doing a 25 minute commute on the highway at speeds in excess of 60 mph where the engine gets up to temp and the fluids get warm (or maybe even hot)

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
There is a big difference between starting the car and letting it idle 15 minutes in frigid weather and starting it and doing a 25 minute commute on the highway at speeds in excess of 60 mph where the engine gets up to temp and the fluids get warm (or maybe even hot)
Interesting thought. From an oil perspective though what is the difference between the two scenarios you mentioned? The engine may be hotter, but how does that help cut down on wear and tear? If in storage for say 5 months, that would be 10 starts. if you drive every day, that is 80-100 (think just working days) cold starts if only counting one per day which is probably generous. Not sure how you scientifically analyze that, but maybe Ford did and that is why they are recommending to start it every 15 days? Maybe it is really a longer period that could be used in-between, but Ford is leaning on the safe side? In my personal experience, I have had several cars at the same time for a long time (not counting my wife's car) and I always have one that is setup for yearly driving. the others are mainly warm weather cars. Being in NJ there are plenty of days that I can take one of the other cars out, not planned like Ford's schedule of every 15 days, just happenstance. Rarely is it to go anywhere far, 15-20 minutes of run time local roads. I have never ever had an issue with only using a car for a couple short duration trips. I opinion is that starting a car and letting it idle will do it no harm. I also change the oil and top off other fluid lvl's etc before they are (stored). I also think not using it at all is probably fine too as long as you change the oil etc before driving it. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored