Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll get the chance on a track at some point, but going in this is a street car for me.
so if you're not going to pick a "useful" color, nor leverage any of the "track ready" features, why would you be interested in a Mach when you can buy a GT (equipped however you like) for vastly less? You didn't mention "gotta be Tremec or bust" in your thoughts.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Seems like the best solution is to just buy a GT and get it how you want it, and if you like the mach 1 front end just swap it on then you can have the look without the overpriced useless garbage they made mandatory on the mach 1

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
so if you're not going to pick a "useful" color, nor leverage any of the "track ready" features, why would you be interested in a Mach when you can buy a GT (equipped however you like) for vastly less? You didn't mention "gotta be Tremec or bust" in your thoughts.
Why does a dog lick himself - because he can. I have the jing to pay for it and want an old school (or as close as you can get today) muscle car. I do like the Tremec and this will likely be a one and done for me. Maybe my boys will track it.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
Seems like the best solution is to just buy a GT and get it how you want it, and if you like the mach 1 front end just swap it on then you can have the look without the overpriced useless garbage they made mandatory on the mach 1
Maybe, but nice to get it out of the box ready to go with a warranty. If not, I'd go the Bullitt route.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious if anyone knows what the price differences were back in 2003/2004 with that Mach1 and the GT and Cobra? From what I can see ( and I'm no expert on them by an means ) there was not a huge amount of visual difference between the GT and Mach 1 back then, other than the Shaker and some stripes, and some badging as well?
2003 Mach 1 was $4k more than GT premium, $4k less than Cobra. Adjusting for inflation, that’s 4.5k up or down for the Mach 1. But the 03 Mach 1 wasn’t as differentiated from the GT as the current one is. The interior was largely the same, the trans was the same, the suspension had minimal changes, the rear end was the same (GT spec instead of Cobra), and the only aesthetic changes were the shaker, grille, front air ram, wheels, and stripes/badges

I think the people who have an issue with the current Mach 1 are just the kind of people who see a car as just an engine on wheels rather than looking at the package as a whole

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at this from a different angle.

I like the GT350 but the motor reliability is a big concern. The reliability question coupled with the extra jing pushes the car into the next level for me. It is over kill for the street and if I wanted a track car, I'd want the -R and then the car is pushed 2-3 levels up. The last thing I want is a temperamental expensive vehicle that I'm always fussing with.

In my opinion, the Mach 1 car is a "best of" Mustang that has its share of compromises. There are proven subsystems and components installed without the risk of major redesigns. I may be different than some in planning to keep the car for a long time. Maybe I'll get the chance on a track at some point, but going in this is a street car for me. I don't consider it a rip off. It may be a bit higher priced than I'd like, but not enough to chase me away. The design is in the latter stage of the lifecycle. Your not going to get a big splash on the S550. If you need that, wait for the S650. I looked at and drove the Camaro. I liked it and it offers some advantages. In the end, it feels like a pill box that you ride in versus the Mustang that you ride on (older buyer so it matters to me). I want a more practical muscle car and for some reason, the Mustang beats the Camaro in my book.

I'm not into flash so most of the exterior colors are out - white and silver being the two that I'm deciding between. HP is overkill for my street car use case, the added splitter is an accident waiting to happen (scrapped off or banged into parking curb) and the aft spoiler looks excessive if not out of place for the street. The HP wheels are great, but if your installing street tires later the cost will be higher for the added width, plus the added lip looks like unfinished business and a last minute "lipstick on a pig" fix. If your not tracking, the rest of the HP features just don't make sense, so I'll go without. The red calipers are nice, but for $500 you can keep them. If there were four piston Brembos out back, maybe I'd give it another look but likely would still walk.

I'm glad there is a thread for the people post their negatives. While I'm locked in, I don't mind the other point of views. Many seem to be current GT owners that can't justify the jump from what they have (which is fine BTW) and others need to remember that Ford is high volume auto manufacturer production cost, profit and warranty cost matter especially in the twilight of the lifecycle where you can make your bones. Cars usually are value engineered after release and the S550 is not immune. At the end of the day, it's a large volume business not a super car shop. So if there is a deal breaker (color, cost or small features), wait until next year. Maybe they will be addressed. If you want something more radical, I'd wait for the S650.
I couldn’t of said it better, well written!
Except I had to pay for the red brembos even though it was a ripoff, goes to good with black.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
so if you're not going to pick a "useful" color, nor leverage any of the "track ready" features, why would you be interested in a Mach when you can buy a GT (equipped however you like) for vastly less?
Vastly? Not really. What's a few grand in the end? If you spec it with the optional good stuff then GT is not that much cheaper. Secondly, why the heck not. Thirdly, better handling on the road is important too, no need to spend every other weekend on the track to be able to appreciate it. Why? Because we can. Don't forget better looks and better sounds than GT. Pretty sure it'll tickle the ego better too :sunglasses:

Last edited:

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
prop rods don't fail and break like stupid pressurized hydraulic cylinders do. If you want reliable you go for prop-rod every time. :)
More like Ford cutting every corner possible to make a buck

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I swear some of you folks would complain it you were hung with a new rope ... good grief Charily Brown

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Can you please stop comparing Chevrolet's top-of-the-line Camaro trim with the Mach 1? They are not direct competitors from a performance standpoint. I sincerely hope (since you ordered one) that you are going to enjoy the car more than any Mustang you could have bought in the same price range, but stop trying to convince everyone here that if they would just drive one, they would be as smitten/impressed as you are. I have driven both the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE trim levels and I still have no interest in either from an ownership standpoint.
The ZL1 is in the same price range as the Mach 1 so it's only logical it'll be compared. And regardless of your opinion on the ZL1, I can assure that anyone but the obviously biased will think the the ZL1 is miles ahead of a glorified GT with a intake manifold and trans.

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
The ZL1 is in the same price range as the Mach 1 so it's only logical it'll be compared. And regardless of your opinion on the ZL1, I can assure that anyone but the obviously biased will think the the ZL1 is miles ahead of a glorified GT with a intake manifold and trans.
Isnt the ZL1 more comparable to the Shelbys?

0wen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Owen
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, MX-5 30th Anniversary
If you think the price difference is bad in the US, then our UK pricing is going to look even worse! The Mach 1 I've ordered is £58,835 vs £50,150 for a loaded UK-spec GT with premium paint, Mag ride, Recaros, custom pack etc.
And that's before any discounts on the GT you can readily achieve from dealers.
In some respects I wish I hadn't checked that!

So why did I buy it?
I think I'm of the same opinion as Charlemagne and Fishtales - this is a 'best of' Mustang and also just happens to the best Mustang we can get here, officially and with a warranty.

The odd import Shelby GT350 can be found for sale in the UK but at ~£70-80k, it's a unicorn car over here, but has no warranty, incredibly limited support that is totally outside the Ford dealer network, and the wheel is on the wrong side for us ;)
For me it's not a realistic option to be used and enjoyed. I think I'd probably pay the premium if it was sold here in the UK by Ford. But it isn't.

The Bullitt? There's a few still kicking around, great car and spec if you like DHG.
Sadly I don't...

As for the GT? Is the Mach 1 worth that much more?
Well, I suppose it is to me - they've thrown a lot of otherwise unavailable upgrades at it and - in my opinion - the much improved front fascia treatment helped justify the cost.
I'm hoping it's a bit like the 911 GTS I've had - initially viewed as a parts bin special too, but the combination of upgrades made a bigger difference than might have been suggested by the spec sheet. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm looking forward to what could be my last chance to buy a new, naturally aspirated, V8, manual, RWD car.
Those with other cars to choose from or who can't square the cost increase, I totally get it.

-O.

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908