Vehicle Showcase

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Ever heard of Ford's nicknames? Found On Road Dead. Fix Or Repair Daily.
Yeah, I've heard them before. Ever heard the Chevy nicknames?
Cracked Head Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

and my favorite, Can't Handle Even Volkswagen Yet

And of course, mopar
Made Of Plastic And Rust or My Old Parts Are Rusty

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You're getting a sweet car, no doubt. I don't dislike the Mach 1. I think it looks awesome, esp. w/ the handling package wheels and the appearance package. Question: The Ford build site shows the upgraded Mach 1 wheels as a PP2 style wheel, but previously it showed a Mach 1 handling package style wheel, but narrower. Which is it going to be for the upgraded wheels?

I'm also getting my ZL1 for a good amount under msrp FWIW.

And that makes you happy? Ford slowed progress on the GT and came out flat in 2010 with only 315 hp in the GT, while the 2010 Camaro SS had 426 hp thanks to continued GM small block development via the Corvette. Thanks mostly to the Camaro SS, we got the awesome Coyote in 2011.

Ever heard of Ford's nicknames? Found On Road Dead. Fix Or Repair Daily.

A GT350 weighs 3,800+ lbs, just like a PP1 GT. I'm guessing the Mach 1 will be 3,900 lbs with the additional coolers and fluids.

The BMW M4 has a higher quality interior and better fit and finish than both Ford and Chevy. And from a performance standpoint, it simply matches my GT PP1 w/ MagneRide, so yeah, it's sort of a rip-off if you're going for pure performance. Most M4 buyers probably want the additional refinement/quality, or whatever BMW has over Ford/Chevy.
It was a $395 option, same size as pp1 staggered setup. I will put all-seasons on these and buy some lighter weight, better looking black wheels for the PS4's next winter.
This gives me time to recoup from being so riped off! lol

w.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I've heard them before. Ever heard the Chevy nicknames?
Cracked Head Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

and my favorite, Can't Handle Even Volkswagen Yet

And of course, mopar
Made Of Plastic And Rust or My Old Parts Are Rusty
Did you know if you listen really hard you can hear a Ford rust at night?

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has been building the "same" damn thing since 2011. The design was paid off long ago.
Hyperbole

shogun32 said:
Yes, GM does better engineering for re-usability and I will readily concede that the Camaro benefits from this wisdom by recycling Caddy and Corvette technology. What's stopping Ford from following the same playbook?
Simple. They don't have any other divisions in the company to draw from.

shogun32 said:
I don't go to C&C to brag or preen about how 'rare' my car is/not. I go to look at (not so) cool cars, talk to interesting people and answer questions from fellow enthusiasts. Could care less if mine was one of a hundred there.
So, you must care SOME then, because you could care LESS.

shogun32 said:
what possible other reason is there to buy a high-performance (pretending) car? Ok, they look 'cool'... Obviously we each piss huge money away on stupid crap that has no rational defense. That's the luxury of not having to dig up beetles and catch mice in the fields to have dinner tonight.
Bingo. We buy what we buy because it give us some level of pleasure. Does anybody think Starbuck's coffee is so much better than alternate choices that they have no issue paying the astronomical per-cup price they charge?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
If Ford Engineering ever decides to pull their head out of their ass and build the Mustang to be an actual sports car I might revisit that break point.
I know this is a hate Mach 1 thread and I'm kinda jerking your chain, but I just wouldn't own a car you dislike as much as the Mustang. I just don't get it. My bad, I shouldn't be on the thread I guess.
You all have fun ripping the Mach I. It's what makes America for great. I'm moving on to greener pastures.

tofo17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 #M3560, FJG, 10R80
Frankly you guys in the US are spoiled for choice relatively. Many cars in Australia are a rip off compared to their prices in other geographies. The Mustang is actually closer to parity (AUD to USD considered) than many models such as the Euros, which in my mind makes it better value.

I put together this spreadsheet trying to better understand what the Mach 1 delivered compared to the Bullitt and GT. Keep in mind all of our models are quite loaded with few options (this is normal with most Australian cars). I've tried to ignore cosmetic options where value will be very subjective. I've also included a bunch of other cars in the same ballpark price wise that one might cross shop to give a sense of where Mustang sits in the market in Australia... this might help explain why it's Australia best selling sports car.

The Mach 1 is the pinnacle of Mustang in Australia (from the factory that is, we had the R-Spec but no Shelbys). 20k premium over the GT, though 6k of that disappears if you option MagneRide and Auto, which are standard on the Mach 1.

The Mach 1 seems to offer plenty of extra goodies. Are they worth ~14k? Up to the individual buyer to decide but for me the answer is an easy yes. There will only be 700 in Australia (same as the Bullitt) so I've put my order in!

Aus Mach 1 comparison

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a hate Mach 1 thread
no it's a hate on the PRICING thread, not the car itself.
, but I just wouldn't own a car you dislike as much as the Mustang.
who said anything about disliking Mustangs?

I bought the 2017 v6 my first Mustang. I almost bought a 2014 but despite the cheap price and quite decent condition, the S550 was just a better interior and overall (surface) quality.

5 months later bought a GT/PP1, 4 months later bought a SS/1LE and a month later bought a EB/PP. Yes 2019 was a busy year. Threw suspension/bushing/IRS money at the PP Mustangs. I've been down to just the GT and SS since June of 2020.

(ASIDE: Here's my EB/PP. They paid me 26.5 for it. I have the SCT tuner with Unleashed tunes for '93 and E30, and Steeda bracing/suspension for it if anyone wants to upgrade it back to what it was. )

I can and do appreciate both V8 offerings. I commend Ford for finally getting off their ass and offering a direct competitor to the SS/1LE. They just priced it WAAY wrong. It's no Shelby but the price tag would have you believe otherwise.

Last edited:

Sponsored

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Yet the Mach 1 will still out sell the camaro and the Mustang in general will be the leading seller in the segment as usual

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
A Mach 1 similarly equipped to a Camaro ZL1 is only $3k cheaper:

I built a Mach 1 Premium with:
A10
Elite package (for the upgraded stereo to compete with the BOSE that comes standard on ZL1)
Leather Recaros
Handling package (since it's not avail. in the builder I had to add in $3,500 manually)
Total: $63,495

An A10 ZL1 is fully loaded with heated/cooled Recaros, forged wheels, lots of bells and whistles, 650 hp, etc., and costs $66,690 with the current $1k GM incentive.

I know many here aren't a Camaro fan, but the ZL1 is in another league from the Mach 1 in terms of power, handling and overall performance, even when the Mach 1 is equipped with the handling package. The fact that GM got as much performance out of a ZL1 (faster than a GT350R around a track and in a straight line) at the price it did, is an accomplishment.

Exactly with the zl1 its fully loaded as one trim. 52k for a mustang with cloth seats just baffles me, such as why isn’t the security package standard. Same with leather seats like the Bullit. Used base ZL1s seem like a better buy in the used market. I seen some used for high forties or mid fifties. Im a mustang guy at heart , But a 650hp and 650tq camaro seems like the better buy.

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
:) never heard that one before.
I'm curious if anyone knows what the price differences were back in 2003/2004 with that Mach1 and the GT and Cobra? From what I can see ( and I'm no expert on them by an means ) there was not a huge amount of visual difference between the GT and Mach 1 back then, other than the Shaker and some stripes, and some badging as well?

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
I'm looking at this from a different angle.

I like the GT350 but the motor reliability is a big concern. The reliability question coupled with the extra jing pushes the car into the next level for me. It is over kill for the street and if I wanted a track car, I'd want the -R and then the car is pushed 2-3 levels up. The last thing I want is a temperamental expensive vehicle that I'm always fussing with.

In my opinion, the Mach 1 car is a "best of" Mustang that has its share of compromises. There are proven subsystems and components installed without the risk of major redesigns. I may be different than some in planning to keep the car for a long time. Maybe I'll get the chance on a track at some point, but going in this is a street car for me. I don't consider it a rip off. It may be a bit higher priced than I'd like, but not enough to chase me away. The design is in the latter stage of the lifecycle. Your not going to get a big splash on the S550. If you need that, wait for the S650. I looked at and drove the Camaro. I liked it and it offers some advantages. In the end, it feels like a pill box that you ride in versus the Mustang that you ride on (older buyer so it matters to me). I want a more practical muscle car and for some reason, the Mustang beats the Camaro in my book.

I'm not into flash so most of the exterior colors are out - white and silver being the two that I'm deciding between. HP is overkill for my street car use case, the added splitter is an accident waiting to happen (scrapped off or banged into parking curb) and the aft spoiler looks excessive if not out of place for the street. The HP wheels are great, but if your installing street tires later the cost will be higher for the added width, plus the added lip looks like unfinished business and a last minute "lipstick on a pig" fix. If your not tracking, the rest of the HP features just don't make sense, so I'll go without. The red calipers are nice, but for $500 you can keep them. If there were four piston Brembos out back, maybe I'd give it another look but likely would still walk.

I'm glad there is a thread for the people post their negatives. While I'm locked in, I don't mind the other point of views. Many seem to be current GT owners that can't justify the jump from what they have (which is fine BTW) and others need to remember that Ford is high volume auto manufacturer production cost, profit and warranty cost matter especially in the twilight of the lifecycle where you can make your bones. Cars usually are value engineered after release and the S550 is not immune. At the end of the day, it's a large volume business not a super car shop. So if there is a deal breaker (color, cost or small features), wait until next year. Maybe they will be addressed. If you want something more radical, I'd wait for the S650.
Sponsored