corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ya, I was thinking that might say more about the Subie automatic than it does about their manual.
The counterpoint obviously being that if you were looking for an automatic that wasn't a CVT, you'd have ended up spending your money at somebody else's store.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Shouldnt it be the civic type r since they only come in manual? Or are they grouped in with the other civic variants?
You really have to treat low-production special models like the Type R and the GT350s separately from the question because of there being no choice. Not that adding 7000-ish GT350s to 50000-ish GTs @ 50% MT changes the overall mix all that much (56-ish% MT).

Norm

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Actually, it's the WRX that has the highest MT take rate in the industry. And it's not even close. The Mustang appears to be tops within the V8 2+2 segment (Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers).

Norm
It's not fair to count WRX/STI. They don't have a real alternative.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
You really have to treat low-production special models like the Type R and the GT350s separately from the question because of there being no choice. Not that adding 7000-ish GT350s to 50000-ish GTs @ 50% MT changes the overall mix all that much (56-ish% MT).

Norm
Makes sense. I figured. If the Honda s2000 were still made, that would be a nice one to add. Manual only

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
I got a manual because it's likely the last manual I will own. Next car will likely be a DCT.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The counterpoint obviously being that if you were looking for an automatic that wasn't a CVT, you'd have ended up spending your money at somebody else's store.

Norm
Good point. I'd buy/drive an A10 car all day long, but a 'CVT only' automatic is a non-starter.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Good point. I'd buy/drive an A10 car all day long, but a 'CVT only' automatic is a non-starter.
For sure . . . and that's with some understanding of how they might at least in theory be the top choice for straight line acceleration.

Norm

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I’d never buy a car like this with a automatic. I have no doubt the A10 is fast and great but all the fun is in the stick for me :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Because I wanted a fun and engaging driving experience.
I don't care how much faster the auto may be... to me, there is nothing more boring than sticking it in drive and driving with one foot. And don't get me started on those laggy paddle shifters, lol.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It's worth noting that any reasonable modern racecar has a paddle-shift gearbox. I just don't want one to play with personally.

One of the guys I autocross with said to me, "You might like the experience of shifitng, but this is a _racecar_! I go with what's fastest." He's kinda right in that he does care about speed and the auto is somewhat faster. I just can't be that arsed to win an autocross to drive an auto every day. I _want_ it to be a difficult thing to do.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think the ZF 8 speed will be the "go to" transmission for many manufacturers before long. It's really good, much less complex than any DCT, more reliable and less expensive. BMW is switching over to it. Jaguar has been using it for several years. It's performance matches any DCTs I've driven.

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I bought a manual for the involvement and enjoyment. Driving a manual trans is cathartic for me; it's the way I de-stress.

JRHolliday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Guys

I want to get a GT and can't decide if I should get a manual. I have never driven a manual car but getting a GT without a manual seems be just wrong, just wrong I say. Sad thing is that the wife can drive stick, I guess I could let her teach me, oh the embarrassment.

I'm guessing with 400 pounds of torque it can be that hard to learn.
An automatic may be faster and easier but
Hey Guys

I want to get a GT and can't decide if I should get a manual. I have never driven a manual car but getting a GT without a manual seems be just wrong, just wrong I say. Sad thing is that the wife can drive stick, I guess I could let her teach me, oh the embarrassment.

Hey Guys

it is more fun to drive
Hey Guys

It is more fun to drive and that is what a sports car is all about.
Sponsored