corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also, you're wrong about traditional autos wearing when you're idling at a stop. That's what torque converters are for. The converter makes up the difference between engine idle and lack of drivetrain movement by slipping, which being a low speed fluid coupling has as close to zero wear as is really mechanically possible, second to sitting with the clutch out in neutral at a light.
Clutch pack discs still experience wear, though it's due to engagement when a gear is selected/commanded rather than when idling at a stop in some non-neutral range. That's also a little clutch pack wear on every shift, though it does get spread out over more than one clutch disc.

Back when externally contracting band brakes were more common, sometimes the anchor end of a band would suddenly break off, typically leaving you without Reverse. It was a long time ago, but I've been there. DIY'ed that one, too.

Norm
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Clutch pack discs still experience wear, though it's due to engagement when a gear is selected/commanded rather than when idling at a stop in some non-neutral range. That's also a little clutch pack wear on every shift, though it does get spread out over more than one clutch disc.

Back when externally contracting band brakes were more common, sometimes the anchor end of a band would suddenly break off, typically leaving you without Reverse. It was a long time ago, but I've been there. DIY'ed that one, too.

Norm
Yeah, that I agree with. In that sense 118 lights still has wear in an automatic, but he relayed it to me as if sitting there itself was doing that. I'm actually looking forward to rebuilding a Ford AOD/AOD-E/4R70W sometime soon to learn how to do it. The older style transmissions are a lot more forgiving and generally don't require special tools.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
What am I missing here? Why wouldn't you want all of your driving to be fun and engaging?

Serious questions, actually.
I agree. When someone complains about shifting I'm reminded of:

1608906183409.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If yo
Oh of course. I took my Mustang to work every single day for like 6 straight months. I'm not really the person arguing against daily use, if I thought it was that bad I wouldn't have bought one (and come back from auto for that matter). I just understand the logic of the person who was quoted earlier.
If you're referring to Jason, I'm afraid I'll never understand why if something is fun and engaging to do that he wouldn't choose to put a little of that fun into the kinds of driving where the only reason he does them at all is because he has to.

It's been over 8 years since I last had a commute, but I never minded it when I had one, and I still consciously enjoy the driving part of running errands as mundane as the weekly trip to the grocery store. Driving ends up being a part of your life, so you might as well enjoy it instead of simply tolerating it.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my EB in manual and am loving it so far... but have been drooling over the short throws from MGW and Barton. Any preferences or recommendations? (I’m having a hell of a time deciding on x-spec or regular for the mgw)
Xspec only way to go . I'm close to 800 whp and shifts great .

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
As a teenager, I learned to drive on a manual (three-on-the-tree Simca, then VW bus). I'm 75 now, and until lately 95% of my many cars have been sticks, usually convertibles. For the past four years I haven't had a manual simply because the cars that fit my parameters have been only available in automatics, and not even ragtops. But I still reflexively reached for a shifter whenever I approached a corner, though in vain...
When it came time last month to answer my perennial urge for another car, I knew I had to get a stick again. And it fit me immediately! Hadn't considered a Mustang - too common after my Jags and Genesises (note this non-conformist didn't say Vettes and BMWs). But I found a 'Stang utterly unlike the others on my block, and it's now sitting alongside my F Pace.

After all, a proper car has more pedals than doors! (Except maybe VW buses...)

Stang.jpg

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I’ve desired a Mustang, seriously, since ‘79 when I wanted a medium blue glow (that was the paint name 😀), Ghia hatchback, V6 with a manual transmission.

During the ‘79 production year, they quit importing the German V6 and switched to the in-line six. I read in some auto mag the in-line six sounded like a tractor engine, so the Mustang came off my list.

I told myself if I ever got the chance to order a Mustang I’d make sure it was a manual.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Seems like a weird thing to attack me over. I didn't say it was a rational concern. But given I do all my own work, and that means me dropping the trans out of the car to swap clutches, that thought has more weight in my mind than the average person. Not only that, but its not JUST the clutch disc that wears, there's the throw out bearing and slave cylinder as well, which are doing even more work every time you slam that pedal in. If you think 118 lights every day isn't going to massively wear all those items compared to someone who has 8 lights, then I don't know what you're smoking. It's just like when you start on a steep hill, you have to physically sit on the clutch release longer and with more throttle to get going than a level surface. Everything is additive. Skill can only do so much.
Nowadays not so much. The manuals have like a "creep mode" from red lights and also have a "hill hold" mode that keeps it still when on an incline, so clutch modulation is minimal when doing those tasks nowadays.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Nowadays not so much. The manuals have like a "creep mode" from red lights and also have a "hill hold" mode that keeps it still when on an incline, so clutch modulation is minimal when doing those tasks nowadays.
I tried the "hill hold" for a little while. The second time it made me stall, I turned it off. When you're very in tune with exactly how much modulation the gas and clutch take to get underway, the extra (unexpected) braking can be enough to kill it. I remember thinking, "let me go!" I'm sure it's great for 16 year olds learning to drive in San Francisco, though...

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I tried the "hill hold" for a little while. The second time it made me stall, I turned it off. When you're very in tune with exactly how much modulation the gas and clutch take to get underway, the extra (unexpected) braking can be enough to kill it. I remember thinking, "let me go!" I'm sure it's great for 16 year olds learning to drive in San Francisco, though...
I agree. I prefer without it as well. But its a nice extra feature for those who want or need it.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am not a huge fan on hill assist either but I have noticed in Colorado where sometimes you can be stopped on some really steep inclines with people right on your rear bumper, it can come in handy.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I’ve desired a Mustang, seriously, since ‘79 when I wanted a medium blue glow (that was the paint name 😀), Ghia hatchback, V6 with a manual transmission.

During the ‘79 production year, they quit importing the German V6 and switched to the in-line six. I read in some auto mag the in-line six sounded like a tractor engine, so the Mustang came off my list.

I told myself if I ever got the chance to order a Mustang I’d make sure it was a manual.
I had a '79 Indy Pace car model with an anemic 302 that I eventually built up to run as fast as late model 5.0's. It wasn't faster than the efi cars, but considering what I started with and my budget, I was pretty happy with it.
Sponsored