Sponsored

Whose redesign is better Corvette or Mustang?

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Corvettes always looked close to Ferraris, Mustang got look from Aston Martin, what's your point? The reason why mustang was harder design (wasn't) because Ford was afraid to go with bigger leap forward and decided to play safe... What we could get..
looks good for Need 4 Speed, but not much else

anyways why do we give a #$%@ about corvette vs mustang except in performance of the same price point cars

all this design stuff is eye of the beholder - bought the GT500 over the corvette as it had 4 seats and same performance (GS vs Gt500). Bought the GT500 as it had better performance than the M3. But if i did not need space would have bought a 911. was the 911 redesign better or not (since they kept it looking like the 911 over the last 50 years)
Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Compare apple to orange again? Mustang design and produce with lower budget, while Sting Ray with much higher budget so off course C7 will be better looking and way more advance.

Btw I still don't like the rear end of C7 look too camaroish.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Like others I was hoping for a more "Astonish" modern look. Aston Martins are truly the most "beautiful" cars made, unfortunately I do not have $150k+ to buy one. :love:

CurlyQHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Mustang by far. I find the Corvette looks to be so bad that I have no desire what-so-ever to own one.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
The Sarge; said:
You want a foreign exotic with zero visibility, go buy one. This is a Mustang and a Mustang forum.
You sound like such a fanboi. The newer Camaros have very limited visibility and they seem to be selling rather well. Go figure.

Evos concept looks much better than Mustang. I wish the Mustang looked more like the Evos.

Interior changes are not drastic or edgy. Only minor changes to the dash & pod cluster. Remember the Mark Vs with the double decker dash? THAT was new & edgy. The only real improvement I see in the new Mustang interior is the back seat bolsters. Everything else is bland.

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
"Better" is a rather subjective term.

If the question is which design is more attractive looking to me when compared to the other, I would absolutely say the Stingray. That is a gorgeous car.

If, however, the question is which is "better" in terms of being a more dynamic leap from it's predecessor, then that's more complicated.

The C6 Corvette was always a world class performer (especially in the special trim levels), but it was brought down by the cheap, rattle trap interior and aging looks. It was a car that appealed to middle age and retired men, hence "the successful plumber's car" description that been thrown around. A midlife crisis car for moderately successful average joe.

They took the interior and made it much better (still not German level, but good), and they came up with a design that has the cues but is much edgier and more exotic looking.

The S197 Mustang has been facing similar image issues. Declining sales, and it was in danger of becoming a baby boomer's time machine due to the very retro looks, rather than being the affordable performance machine for young buyers.

Current Mustangs handle decent and have a good engine lineup, but the archaic suspension kept them from being a truly solid handling car on roads and on the track. And the Mustang also had issues with a cheap interior.

To me, the Mustang is an improvement over its predecessor in all three categories: design, performance, and interior quality.

The Corvette really only needed improvement in two areas: interior and design.

So I would say the Mustang is probably a better leap forward than the Vette in terms of comparing generations, but only slightly.

MD

Threads
Reaction score
mustang is still using that cheap, dirty, textured hard plastic in the centre console for their "all-new" 2015 mustang. I guess they're trying to keep that retro too.

I have seen the corvette up close and that car is just not comparable. way better looking and the interior is actually VERY nice. And to be honest it has more retro cues in the design than the mustang.

one other thing that I like about it is that it shares nothing with other chevy cars. The taillights look similar to the camaro but they changed the camaro so the vette stays a stand alone design. whereas the "all-new" mustang's front end looks like a fusion and fiesta.

but I would still buy a mustang though :)

CurlyQHoward

Threads
Reaction score
"they came up with a design that has the cues but is much edgier and more exotic looking" Make that uninspired and cheap, and I'll agree. Each time I see the C7 I think of dime-store jewelry and wonder how anybody could tolerate it. And why? Other performance, sports, or super cars can be beautiful - even stunning. But not the C7. In a world of Hollywood smiles, Chevrolet once again delivers an advanced case of meth mouth.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
mustang is still using that cheap, dirty, textured hard plastic in the centre console for their "all-new" 2015 mustang. I guess they're trying to keep that retro too.
:)
Can't expect luxury grade materials in every corner of a car that starts at 23K.

"they came up with a design that has the cues but is much edgier and more exotic looking" Make that uninspired and cheap, and I'll agree. Each time I see the C7 I think of dime-store jewelry and wonder how anybody could tolerate it. And why? Other performance, sports, or super cars can be beautiful - even stunning. But not the C7. In a world of Hollywood smiles, Chevrolet once again delivers an advanced case of meth mouth.
To each their own, I think the car is great looking. I was very impressed viewing it in person. I don't think it looks cheap at all, and the edges and creases are much sharper than the C6, which looked a bit stale. To me there's a big difference.

Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Can't expect luxury grade materials in every corner of a car that starts at 23K.
True dat. However, we paid >$60K for our 2013 GT500 vert and other than the steering wheel & seat stripes, it has the same cheap interior as the base Mustang.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Shelby's cars were never about luxury. You're paying to go fast with a factory warranty. Just watched the Top Gear episode where Clarkson complained about the base interior. We can't have our cake and eat it too.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Shelby's cars were never about luxury.
What year did the Shelby Mustang start having AC & radio?

Maybe it would be better to say Shelby's race cars because there were luxury options available on the first gen factory Shelby cars.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
What year did the Shelby Mustang start having AC & radio?

Maybe it would be better to say Shelby's race cars because there were luxury options available on the first gen factory Shelby cars.
I'm not a Shelby expert, but probably around 1967 or 68 did you see creature comforts become an issue. But IIRC, didn't the '65 GT350 have the battery in the trunk and no rear seat? I know things like color options, rear seats, and automatic transmission quickly became options as their popularity rose. But Ford took over by '69 anyway.

Just seems to me that Shelby was about taking production vehicles and stripping them as much as possible. Luxury was definitely second-tier.

CurlyQHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Yes, I had a chance to buy a low mileage '66 GT350 in August of '70 for a thousand bucks, and I passed on it as it was, "Just an engine and a transmission."
Sponsored