Sponsored

Whose redesign is better Corvette or Mustang?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
IMO the Corvette is a second or third car, something to have fun with on the weekends if you have bank. The Mustang is good enough to be your only car, so it get's my vote without question.

Mriley

I think Ford had to walk a much finer line than Chevy with the vette. Going from retro/popular classic design to something more modern was not an envious task. Much more at stake for the Stang also. From this point of view the Mustang hands down wins my vote.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
To me the Mustang looks more different than the Corvette.

Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
I like both redesigns,
the Corvette is better though.

RIParker

Mustang underwent a more dramatic change. And as others said much more of a balancing act. As this isn't about which design is a better per se, but which redesign, I give this one to the Stang.

J. Dub

I heart newbz
Threads
Reaction score
The VETTE wins this thread.
We're not going to see any widebody mustangs... It simply doesn't have the rear for it.

The vette will see many widebody projects and can pull it off. Not to mention that targa top roof is pure sex.
Admittedly, the mustang with glass roof will most likely be my purchase next year despite the fact that I see the vette as more appealing through my eyes.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
IMO the Corvette is a second or third car, something to have fun with on the weekends if you have bank. The Mustang is good enough to be your only car, so it get's my vote without question.
The question isn't what car is more practical. It's what is the better redesign. With that said I'm torn. I think the Vette probably gets the nod for being more edgy.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Same topic was posted on the corvette forums (no surprise). Here's what I wrote:

I think both companies did a fantastic job on their new designs, and one of these two cars will likely be my next vehicle. I like how both companies made evolutionary design changes, that give new details yet clearly recall the emotion and history of the past versions. Looking at the C7 next to a C6 clearly shows the relationship between the two. Same with the Mustang.

In terms of the exterior, I think the C7 makes the C6 look very tame, but at the same time there are some things about the C7 that I am not thrilled with. Mostly I get bothered by all the vents, especially the ones around the tail lights on the rear end. However, my favorite C7 color is LRG, which does a good job minimizing the impact of those vents, so they don't bother me too much. Also, the front grille on the C7 is a little boring. Just a large gaping mouth with the silver "braces" strip across the middle. Seems a little plain (although, looking at the 350Z in my Avatar clearly shows that I am not overly troubled by a somewhat boring front end). The surfacing of the C7's doors is just fantastic though, as is the hood, headlights, and tail lights themselves. I don't even mind the large black area on the rear, as it helps reduce the visual height of the C7's rear end. For me, the C7 is a home run from afar, but maybe a ground-rule double up close, when I start to investigate some of the details that bother me.

I really like the new Mustang's exterior. I don't think there are any aspects of the design that bother me, but at the same time it doesn't make the old version look dated (so maybe not as much a step forward as the C7). The front end is interesting, and looks like a clear evolution of the current Mustang as well as integrating the new Ford corporate identity in a bold manner. It also has great surfacing on the doors, pulling in the "waist" of the car and making the rear fender flares that much more dramatic. I really like the rear of the new Mustang, how it is lower and sleeker than the previous, as well as the interesting tail light design that continues the 3-bar theme but in a more modern way. The Mustang exterior I'd characterize as a triple. It isn't quite as striking as the C7 as a whole, but doesn't do anything wrong either, and has a great mix of power and elegance.

From an interior perspective, let me say that I am mostly interested in layout and ergonomics, and less concerned about material quality and cheap plastic.
With that in mind, I feel that both are clearly an improvement over previous generations.

The C7 once again has the largest departure from the immediate predecessor, and seems to be a huge step forward in material. I like the large radio screen, and some things about the IP digital screen. I do wish the IP used a mechanical tach as I find the 3-D nature of the mechanical design easier to view. My ideal IP would have a large mechanical central tach, with a digital speed readout in the center. The sections to either side would both be LCD screens, and would allow configurability to show things like oil temp, oil pressure, voltage, diff temp, navigation, radio info, etc. The C7 is close, but the electronic/mechanical aspects are inverted from my idealized setup. The center stack on the C7 is pretty good, with a nice layout, but again, there are certain details that bother me. The air vents bug me because they are all different sizes, and seems to be tacked-on, wherever they will fit. The start button seems to be an afterthought as well. While I like the "cockpit" style layout, part of me thinks a more traditional layout that would have invited the passenger to control the radio would have been better. I also am not a big fan of the C7 steering wheel's hub. It has that stingray shape that is a little gimmicky IMO.

The Mustang interior is pretty cool IMO. I like the layout, although I am not a fan of the IP with the two circular gauges on the sides with the center screen. As metioned above, would rather have the central gauge with two screens on each side. I like the steering wheel, with its straightforward 3-spoke design. The center stack has a nice organization to it. I agree that there is an aspect of the design that is a bit busy, due to the many surfaces and parting lines. I'd need to sit in both to decide which I like better. The C7's looks a bit nicer overall, especially in the door panel details and center armrest area, but it's tough for me to say for sure whether one is "better" than the other or whether they are just different. I do like how the Mustang has accentuated the start button a bit more, and how it has that row of toggle switches. Hopefully those turn out to be nice, rather than chintzy.

The big thing will be how well the drive has improved. Clearly the C7 has been widely praised for being a significant step forward in terms of driving dynamics and feel. If the Mustang can pull off something similar, I think it will be in great shape.

For me, it will be a tough choice between the two. I know the C7 will be faster and more sporty. It has a lower CG, a lower hood, a lower seating position, etc. The Mustang is much more of a GT car, will almost certainly be heavier, and will almost certainly not have as much power. I suspect the new 5.0 will be closer to 440 HP than the 460 of the C7. Also, the torque curve will likely be biased more towards the higher end than the low end of the C7. I would like to see what Ford does for a Boss302 replacement, as that will be the one I'd be most interested in. The 4-seats of the Mustang are important for me, as it would allow me to use the Mustang as a DD (need to take my kids to school). Going with a C7 means I would only get to drive it occasionally when I didn't need to cart the kids around.

Overall I think both cars have had great redesigns, and hope that both are very successful. Looking forward to the next couple years and what the HiPo version of both cars will turn out like.

-T

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Redesigned all-new C7 hands down, period. Car is pure sex. Stylish int/ext and a modern art on wheels, IMO. Even the all-aluminum very stiff well-balanced chassis is a marvelous feat of engineering redesign.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I think Ford had to walk a much finer line than Chevy with the vette. Going from retro/popular classic design to something more modern was not an envious task. Much more at stake for the Stang also. From this point of view the Mustang hands down wins my vote.
I think you've nailed it squarely.