Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT PP Vs 2021 Mustang GT PP What is better?

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
I am talking NEW VS NEW here.
I had a 2016 S550 with the PowerPack 1. Non premium. I have to admit after coming from a MazdaSpeed3, I was disappointed in Mustang in that it could not really turn like the MS3, and could not stop like the MS3 either. I felt it was kinda "boaty" and not as nimble. I drove it for a couple of years and ended up switching to a Focus RS. The FRS is a great car, but I have never been really satisfied with the power. And frankly, the sound of a V8 just cannot be beat. So, I am taking advantage of the crazy used car market to sell my RS for more than sticker after driving it for 5 years.

After looking around, I am starting to rethink the Mustang option.

For those of you who know, how much better is the 2021 GT with the PowerPack than the 2016 with the same equipment level? Does it plant power better, or does it still have terrible hop like the 16 did?

I have the RS chipped and I am getting 375 at the wheels and I am running low 12's. I have seen some videos where Mustangs are running 12.7, 12.8 in the quarter.
Am I screwing myself over by getting rid of the RS? Or has the S550 improved enough over the last 5 years to make it worth my while to rejoin the Mustang ranks?

EDIT, I ended up getting a California Special with a few add ons. My gf loves the car, the color, and the A10 (mostly). I figure I can add power later. Thanks for the notes, everyone!

CaliSpecial.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Are you manual only or automatic? From what I've read, the automatic is a lot better in the new cars, but the manual transmission gearing was messed up in 2018.

I don't think the hopping has been changed. You probably need some aftermarket parts to fix it if you like to spin the tires a lot and don't want hopping. I just let off the gas if my tires are spinning - that seems to prevent hopping quite well. Just give it enough to stay hooked or slight spinning. I stay out of burnout/wheel hopping territory.

PP1 suspension is too soft for good handling. With good suspension and tires the Mustang turns great, but you're right - the Mustang is a big boat. It's heavy so it needs stiff suspension and wide, good quality tires to turn well.

aw081271

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT , MY 2020
i realy love my thick heavy pony.
Screenshot_20210919-224813_Opera.png

but in order to be able to drive it really fast and safely, some modifications to the chassis are necessary.

for example a coilover kit and various struts on the underbody.

then it's really fun and drives great.

unfortunately the weight remains high :crying:

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I actually got rid of my RS for a 2018 PP1. Obviously two completely different cars. I don't think you'd be disappointed. But it's all in what you want out of it. If you're into the turbo AWD platform, I'd wait to see what the new STI has to offer.

OP
OP
Returning_User

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
I cannot force myself into an STI, I keep thinking if I am going to buy something new, I want something that roars...
From a long family of drag racers, I love the manual but the 10 speed looks like the way to go. I drove a PP yesterday and thought to myself that I need a lot more time getting the car set up to make sure all the shift points are correct, etc.
Thinking about renting one for a couple of days before I pull the trigger. Maybe that will help me decide.

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
For the cost savings of getting a '16 over a '21, you could throw the whole Steeda catalog at the chassis and suspension like I did and have a FANTASTIC handling car with tons of grip. I think the 15-17 MT82 ratios are much better than the 18+, enough that the 25hp difference is negligible, which is also very easy to make up with an intake and a tune on a 15-17 car.

In other words, you can probably have a 15-17 that is just as quick and handles WAY better than a stock 18+ for the same money.

Plus the 18+ front ends are ugly :cool:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Better is subjective.

It's a question with no real answer.

But that won't stop everyone from trying.😆

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The big advantage of the newer (2018+) GTs is the ability to order MagneRide with the PP1. That makes a big difference. That, and of course, the A10. I had a 2018 GT Premium w/ PP1, MagneRide, and A10 and it handled really well. Not to mention the Gen 3 Coyote (18+) is better than the Gen 2 in the 17 and earlier GTs.

Have you considered alternatives to the Mustang? A 6th gen Camaro SS is ~100 lbs lighter (despite having a 3 gal larger fuel tank and trans. and rear diff coolers) and has better suspension/handling/steering than a PP1 GT. Step up to an SS 1LE and get ~GT350 level handling (some claim better handling than the GT350) for a lot less money than a Shelby.

Some people write 6th gen Camaros off because of the styling or the visibility, but if you're looking for something that handles better than a Mustang, and has a V8, the Camaro SS is it. It is about as quick as an A10 GT in a straight line, too. Oh, and the 6 speed SS isn't much slower than the A10 SS, so you can get an M6 without sacrificing as much performance compared to an M6 GT vs. A10.

For the record I think the GT looks better than an SS (not better looking than a ZL1 though), but the SS is a better handling car stock for stock, which sounds like that is important to you. Food for thought...

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You can run all the numbers you want about the Camaro. The only problem is, you cannot see out of them. I am interested in driving a car, not a high performance tank.
:sunglasses:
It's overblown IMO. Have you driven one? I can see out of my ZL1 just fine. Adjust the mirrors appropriately and it's a non-issue. The only time I find myself wishing I could see out better is when I look through the rear quarter windows at an angle, like if I'm trying to confirm I closed my garage with a quick glance after I've pulled out of my driveway. Even still, I've adjusted my glance timing and that's no longer usually a problem.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Returning_User

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
I think that when you get to the line at a stop light, you should be able to look up and, you know, see the stop light.
Just my opinion. But thanks.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I think that when you get to the line at a stop light, you should be able to look up and, you know, see the stop light.
And last but not least it's fugly.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you who know, how much better is the 2021 GT with the PowerPack than the 2016 with the same equipment level? Does it plant power better, or does it still have terrible hop like the 16 did?
Better how? Are you drag, autox, or road racing?
Stock to stock, if you've got a manual, the 18+ has a different gearing than the 15-17, and depending on the course, you might like the 18+ because it's mainly 3rd and 4th shifts with 4th going to 160+, but on slower ones, you might not get enough time to wind it up, and the more road-race friendly transmission of the 15-17 gives you one more gear and might be able to keep it in the powerband more often. The 2019+ GT's have auto-rev matching, which also help your lap times, unless you're a heel-toe expert. AutoX would probably be a toss-up, you're not likely leaving 2nd gear anyhow.

If you've got an automatic, the 18+ is better, but if you've got some sticky tires and some talent, it won't be long before you're taking cooldown laps in the middle of a session.

Stock power is about 395 vs 420rwhp between the two, the big benefit of the 18+ is that while not stock, you can with a simple tune go to e85 which depending on the tuner could be 15-30rwhp, and with a much more aggressive tune puts you near a GT350, which a 15-17 can't without a bunch of other significant mods.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I know I'm a month late here but having owned all the cars in this thread here are my thoughts:

I hated my 15 GT PP car it handled poorly and I bought a Camaro SLE. The camaro was amazing. It handled excellently and was the best bang for the buck I ever had.

Then I got married. My wife couldn't see out of the camaro (she is 5' 1") and on a trip to Sonic she got car sick. She refused to ride in or drive it ever again. So I bought a 19 GT PP1 A10 MRC car. Wife loved it. It was a MUCH better car than the 15 PP I had. It didn't handle as well as the SLE although it was easier to drive.

OP
OP
Returning_User

Returning_User

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
California Special
Thanks for your input! After owning my 2021 CS with an automatic, I have to sayit is a vast improvement over the 2015 PP I had. Since my gf will not drive a stick, and hearing how aweful the manual is in the new models, it just didnt make sense to go with a 6 speed this time. So far the car has been a joy to drive! The V8 and the extra 100 hp makes a huge difference over the Focus and I don't miss the mechanical worries a bit!
Sponsored