Sponsored

Whose redesign is better Corvette or Mustang?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I think Ford had to walk a much finer line than Chevy with the vette. Going from retro/popular classic design to something more modern was not an envious task. Much more at stake for the Stang also. From this point of view the Mustang hands down wins my vote.
I beg to differ here. The S550 still has some retro cues here & there... still looks like a Mustang yet sleeker now. The new C7 is a more drastic change... its redesign looks much like an exotic car now. Take the badges off and it mimics a euro sports car. Approaching both redesigns w/o bias, the new Vette redesign was a bionic leaps & bounds.

Mustang underwent a more dramatic change. And as others said much more of a balancing act. As this isn't about which design is a better per se, but which redesign, I give this one to the Stang.
Disagree. The Corvette's redesign was a game changer and significantly dramatic. The S197 -> S550 is a major change however less dramatic than C6 -> C7.

Stingray; no contest.
:amen:

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Both cars had alot at stake. Corvette has even more history than the Mustang and there's two rabid fan bases that you don't tick off. Corvette has been competing on the world stage since the C6, so they're not newcomers like the Mustang. Both are leaps and bounds interior-wise and both look nice on the exterior.

If it were judged on exterior alone, I'd say Corvette wins. But the fundamental shift in undercarriage of the S550 gives Mustang the edge. Mustang by two points.

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Funny how much these two completely different vehicles excite the same crowd.
I think that just shows how well both are being received.

Me personally, I can't call a winner. I want one of each. :)

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
If it were judged on exterior alone, I'd say Corvette wins. But the fundamental shift in undercarriage of the S550 gives Mustang the edge. Mustang by two points.
Undercarriage? The C7's is 100% all-new. All new tooling in Bowling Green in order to manufacture in-house its all new aluminum chassis. 100% departure from base C6 (steel) to base C7 (aluminum). IMO it's a washout vis-à-vis since both chassis are new.

Funny how much these two completely different vehicles excite the same crowd.
I think that just shows how well both are being received.
Me personally, I can't call a winner. I want one of each. :)
:thumbsup:

Sponsored

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Bossing said:
Undercarriage? The C7's is 100% all-new. All new tooling in Bowling Green in order to manufacture in-house its all new aluminum chassis. 100% departure from base C6 (steel) to base C7 (aluminum). IMO it's a washout vis-à-vis since both chassis are new.
Yes, but which is a more evolutionary leap for the brand? For a vehicle that's stuck with archaic (albeit strong) LRA, the IRS and subsequent steering changes makes for a better redesign. Chevy has been tinkering with lightening the frame for quite some time.

GTsquid

Both cars had alot at stake. Corvette has even more history than the Mustang and there's two rabid fan bases that you don't tick off. Corvette has been competing on the world stage since the C6, so they're not newcomers like the Mustang. Both are leaps and bounds interior-wise and both look nice on the exterior.

+1. Who had the bigger leap forward? Not the vette IMO. It's always been world class. i think the Mustang is getting close. Going to an IRS, going global which means not only better build and new engines, but RHD and more premium interior - you can't give this one "hands down" to the vette, I'm sorry. Even if you (anybody) likes the design more, Ford took a bigger leap with the 2015 Mustang. This is the 50th anniversary and its importance is greater to the brand than the C7 was for Chevy or the corvette. At the very least its a draw.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yes, but which is a more evolutionary leap for the brand? For a vehicle that's stuck with archaic (albeit strong) LRA, the IRS and subsequent steering changes makes for a better redesign. Chevy has been tinkering with lightening the frame for quite some time.
No disagreement there in regards to evolutionary leap of SRA/LRA to IRS and the necessary change in front suspension engineering too... yet this principle also mirrors Corvette's evolution (more like revolution) from the old tired round lamps and curves into its all new rear fascia and edges/lines. In regards to the frame, they also made it 60% stiffer than previous gen. In fact only the in-cabin air filter and latch for the targa roof are carryovers from the C6, so everything else is a 100% new redesign and procurement or tooling. Like I stated before, IMO it's a washout. Both are welcomed changes in design, components, and chassis.
:cheers:

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
The vette is a great car, but has always been finished as if Larry the cable guy did it, finally they put a nice interior that is acceptable for their class and wow everyone is praising how wonderful this is. I think about time. As well finally Gm did not make the exterior look like the 60 year old midlife crisis car. Seriously it is the only sports car you see parked in handicap spots.

As well about time on irs for the mustang and about time in stepping up the game. I vote mustang, the m3 looks like it is copying the mustang overall shape and even it's burnout electronic controls

OP
OP

Hertz

Threads
Reaction score
The vette is a great car, but has always been finished as if Larry the cable guy did it, finally they put a nice interior that is acceptable for their class and wow everyone is praising how wonderful this is. I think about time. As well finally Gm did not make the exterior look like the 60 year old midlife crisis car. Seriously it is the only sports car you see parked in handicap spots.

As well about time on irs for the mustang and about time in stepping up the game. I vote mustang, the m3 looks like it is copying the mustang overall shape and even it's burnout electronic controls
Yet a lot of people are negative about new Mustangs design and questions (what makes new Mustang stand out?) just take look at any website with article about new Mustang. http://business.time.com/2013/12/04/this-is-what-fords-all-new-2015-mustang-really-looks-like/

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Admittedly, the mustang with glass roof will most likely be my purchase next year despite the fact that I see the vette as more appealing through my eyes.
There will be no glass roof for this car unfortunately.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
The Mustang was a MUCH harder design to pull off to appeal to such a wider range of buyers and I think Ford hit it dead center. GM had a much easier task with a much narrower design target and they copied the 458 as much as they could then way over-did the detail work.

I think the previous comment of the vette being a home run from afar and a double up-close is exactly how I feel about that car in person. It is one of the few cars I think looks better in pictures than in person. I also feel the Vette will age more quickly.

I will have to see the Mustang in person to make a final decision, but I think Ford did a much better job.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
The Vette is definitely a bigger leap forward but I give the design nod to the Mustang for introducing a thoroughly modern car still visually linked to its past while looking forward. A hard task, done surprisingly well.

OP
OP

Hertz

Threads
Reaction score
The Mustang was a MUCH harder design to pull off to appeal to such a wider range of buyers and I think Ford hit it dead center. GM had a much easier task with a much narrower design target and they copied the 458 as much as they could then way over-did the detail work.

I think the previous comment of the vette being a home run from afar and a double up-close is exactly how I feel about that car in person. It is one of the few cars I think looks better in pictures than in person. I also feel the Vette will age more quickly.

I will have to see the Mustang in person to make a final decision, but I think Ford did a much better job.
Corvettes always looked close to Ferraris, Mustang got look from Aston Martin, what's your point? The reason why mustang was harder design (wasn't) because Ford was afraid to go with bigger leap forward and decided to play safe... What we could get..

The Sarge

Riiiight.... playing it safe apparently means designing a car that exists in the REAL WORLD. You know, where people actually DRIVE their cars.

Hertz, I'd love to see you drive that red concept design in the picture you posted without getting yourself killed. Who actually thinks that would make a nice car in the real world? Some people live in fantasy land when it comes to renderings. They look great on paper (and screen) but give me a break. You want a foreign exotic with zero visibility, go buy one. This is a Mustang and a Mustang forum.

The S550 design went as edgy as any Mustang has ever. It's got the most raked roofline and the most "European" flare you can (and should) get away with on a Mustang. Same goes for the interior.
Sponsored