Better ride, latest Honda Accord or base Mustang

EngineerDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 401A + Extras, 98 F-250LD
For what it's worth when I keep it out of the sports settings the 2015 GT premium that I have rides fantastic. Things "seem" to get stiffer in Sport+/Sport mode. It still rides better than my 1998 F-250 Light Duty. :lol:
Sponsored

15stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT CO
That is a very informative post. I infer that you don't actually own the Honda? But the Mustang isn't a harsher or noisier ride? Do you have similar time behind the wheel of an older Mustang, like a '11-'14?
For the record, the Ford dealers in my area are absolutely terrific. It's the Honda dealer I can't stand.
The accord isn't my primary car, but it is in the family and I drive it often. I also am the one who does all the maintinence/dealer visits for the cars in house. The mustang isn't particularly harsher in terms of ride quality, but there is a big v8 up front so you do hear much more engine noise, which I like. The accord also was more problematic in the first couple thousand miles, while the mustang has been perfect besides the common brake squeal issue. The Honda dealer was great though, and got all the issues taken care of very promptly under warranty.

I have also spent time behind the wheel of S197 mustangs and the fifth gen Camaro. Comparing the v6 models of those cars to the accord I would say the decision is more difficult. The pony cars are definitely more fun, and faster, but the accord is more refined. With the S550, I think the mustang has made the gap in refinement much smaller, and has surpassed the accord in many areas.

Just want to add, also, that while the accord is as fast as the v6/EB mustang on paper in a straight line, the Mustangs are definitely much better performance cars in the real world. The skinny tires and fwd of the accord simply can't put the power down, and you get tremendous torque steer, which makes hard acceleration scary in a lot of situations. I much prefer the driving dynamics of the Mustangs, and they will win in any kind of real world situation against the accord. That said, the accord is still a fantastic performer for a car in the midsize family car segment, and there is a reason it consistently wins car and drivers 10 best.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
The accord isn't my primary car, but it is in the family and I drive it often. I also am the one who does all the maintinence/dealer visits for the cars in house. The mustang isn't particularly harsher in terms of ride quality, but there is a big v8 up front so you do hear much more engine noise, which I like. The accord also was more problematic in the first couple thousand miles, while the mustang has been perfect besides the common brake squeal issue. The Honda dealer was great though, and got all the issues taken care of very promptly under warranty.

I have also spent time behind the wheel of S197 mustangs and the fifth gen Camaro. Comparing the v6 models of those cars to the accord I would say the decision is more difficult. The pony cars are definitely more fun, and faster, but the accord is more refined. With the S550, I think the mustang has made the gap in refinement much smaller, and has surpassed the accord in many areas.

Just want to add, also, that while the accord is as fast as the v6/EB mustang on paper in a straight line, the Mustangs are definitely much better performance cars in the real world. The skinny tires and fwd of the accord simply can't put the power down, and you get tremendous torque steer, which makes hard acceleration scary in a lot of situations. I much prefer the driving dynamics of the Mustangs, and they will win in any kind of real world situation against the accord. That said, the accord is still a fantastic performer for a car in the midsize family car segment, and there is a reason it consistently wins car and drivers 10 best.
Agree with everything you said, but the Accords come with 235's which I think is the same size of the base mustang tires. So they both kinda come with "skinny" tires, relatively speaking.

But you are totally right about the torque steer. My friend at work here has a very funny story the first time he tried to race his V6 Accord coupe and ended up on the curb. Was an embarrassing lesson to learn.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Accord will have a better ride than a Mustang. Camry is the competitor you should look at. Accord and Camry are the top two cars for people who buy Japanese family sedans.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
The 13+ accord is the best accord to date IMO. If the couple came with an lsd and much better tires it would be hard to beat for a long term fun/practical car. 16 will get a refresh and probably a tech upgrade. I haven't looked at the new Camry but the past few years Toyota interior quality IMO has been crap, cheap plastic crap that Honda got criticized for with the civic, for, not sue if the new ones are better, but I could not believe I was in a Toyota with some of those interiors...
Sponsored