Sponsored

Which oil do you guys use?

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
which brands are your go to, do you think synthetic oil is necessary?

I have an ecoboost but I’m curious to know from everyone’s standpoint!
Sponsored

tangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
10 qts Pennzoil ultra platinum 5W-30 with 1 Ceratec bottle

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I'm a fan of Amsoil, for no real reason other than it's what I've used for years. Pennzoil is my "off-the-shelf" go to.

When I'm feeling Gucci...Purol.

And I do think Synthetic is necessary? Other than price, I don't see a downside to using it. Since you have an Ecoboost, the oil from your engine is also feeding that turbo (correct me if I'm wrong). A conventional oil will get torn up by the turbo heat and degrade and burn up much much faster than any synthetic.

Bottom line: at the end of the day, for regular daily use, pick what's on sale at your local autoparts store, check your oil levels between fillups, and follow your OCI (adjust if needed if you're burning oil) 😀

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I run Mobil1 0W30 in my Coyote. It would also work well in your Ecoboost.

I would recommend a good quality full synthetic in a high performance car as nobody buys a Mustang to hypermile it. I know what the manual recommends, but that's my recommendation. My Coyote has almost 94k miles now. It's been using nothing but Mobil1 0w30 for the past 50k miles.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I like Penz Plat 5w-20. But 0w-30, 5w-30, all work well IMO.

You won't go wrong with Penz or Mobil 1.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nothing but Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 in the Mustang, 0w-20 in the Accord. Outstanding oil.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Nothing but Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 in the Mustang, 0w-20 in the Accord. Outstanding oil.
I obsess about warranty coverage so I use full synthetic motorcrraft.i had an engine replaced on my vette few years ago and I had to prove I had changed like regularly and used oil in the manual,so I always stick to car makers suggested oil

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Canadian Tire always seems to have one brand or another of synthetic oil on at half price. That's the one I use. I won't buy anything other than a name brand oil but I have never been loyal to any one brand and I do switch brands if there's money to be saved. The owners manual says to only use 5W20 that shows this on the label "WSS-M2C945-B1" and virtually all major brands meet that standard.

My last Mustang had 253,000 kms on it when I sold it. It never burnt a drop of oil in it's life and it never lost any noticeable power. So brand is not important to me but meeting the required standard is.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
+1 on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. In my book, synthetic is not only better for the engine, but the longer potential durations between oil changes save my time/labor so it's not that much more expensive.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I changed my own last time, and did a decent amount research, test results, price vs. performance, across a wide range of sources (and various vehicles), and a number of times, Castrol Magnatec came up, so that what I used.

Full synth, used the OEM spec for my GT, 5W-20, it's ~$20 per 5Q jug at Amazon, so ~$40 for a MY18+ Coyote, and also scored the Motorcraft filter from Amazon (FL-500S), ~$5.

< $50 for a change including a backup pan plug (just wound up reusing the existing one).

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

I've been running Penzoil ultra platinum in my vehicles for 7 years now. Amazing oil. Paired with a Motorcraft filter. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Canadian Tire always seems to have one brand or another of synthetic oil on at half price. That's the one I use. I won't buy anything other than a name brand oil but I have never been loyal to any one brand and I do switch brands if there's money to be saved. The owners manual says to only use 5W20 that shows this on the label "WSS-M2C945-B1" and virtually all major brands meet that standard.

My last Mustang had 253,000 kms on it when I sold it. It never burnt a drop of oil in it's life and it never lost any noticeable power. So brand is not important to me but meeting the required standard is.
I have used Mobil 1 for years but like you I now look for whatever name brand is on sale. Recently that has been Pennzoil Platinum (not ultra) and I stay with Ford's spec of 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'm approaching 30K miles, and have the oil changed every 5K at my dealer. Ford Pass points has paid for every one of them.
If I were doing my own, it would be Mobil 1 full synth and a Motorcraft filter.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just use the semi motorcraft. I get free oil changes and it works so why change it.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Indipendent tests showed
1. Amsoil is best of addictives and quality.
2. Ultra plat pennzoil comes second.
3. Mobil1 is a great compromise btw quality and price.
If I may
More than the super mega ultra quality. Just change oil more often man. I use the car on track and use mobil1 0w40 (with motorkote) but i chamge oil every few hundreds miles. Filter is also important to be clean.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm