Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Ah. So they included a little design for 21MY 401a in the card. Makes it look better.
Since when did everybody start calling door panels "cards" ?
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Since when did everybody start calling door panels "cards" ?
It's become 'cool" to use the British words for car parts. Ranks right up there with Americans saying "saloons".

It doesn't bother me nearly as much as the use of the word "fitment".

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
It's become 'cool" to use the British words for car parts. Ranks right up there with Americans saying "saloons".

It doesn't bother me nearly as much as the use of the word "fitment".
Could be worse. You could get a door nick on your ā€œwingā€. Donā€™t know why that one makes me drool but it does.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Boot = trunk.
Wing = fender.
Bonnet = hood.
Sill = rocker.
Petrol = gas.

Just a few that I got accustomed to when I joined here :like:

To be fair, I already knew 'Fender' from one of my old Scalextric cars that confused me for years :

1642602606958.png

And after finding that image on google, stick shifter also makes a lot more sense. The connection with that one was never made - when I was young pretty much everything was stick, auto's were uncommon and reserved for eccentric old folk ... :giggle:

Door cards have and always will be door cards to me. I think that came from the fact that early ones were pretty much that i.e. just a high density card type material covered in vinyl with some plastic crap screwed on for good measure ... lol

1642603004701.png

WD :like:

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well, we can forgive you for being misguided by your weird version of English :p Hehe. I'd be interested in the etymology of some of those terms. The American ones make more sense to me. I mean, it's not a wing. You aren't gonna go fly with it. It's not a bonnett, that's something you wear on your head. It's not a "card" even if that's what they used to be (they have been much more elaborate door PANELS for 7 decades or so). A boot is footwear.... cars don't have footwear. I actually think "sill" makes more sense than "rocker," though. Sill is how we describe the same portion of a window or doorway on a building, so it makes sense. I'm not sure what the etymology is behind "rocker."

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Question....would one of you lucky 2022 GT owners be willing to post a pic of the emissions cert sticker under the hood?
Its on the underside of the hood, looks like this :)
emissions_label.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Well, we can forgive you for being misguided by your weird version of English :p Hehe. I'd be interested in the etymology of some of those terms. The American ones make more sense to me. I mean, it's not a wing. You aren't gonna go fly with it. It's not a bonnett, that's something you wear on your head. It's not a "card" even if that's what they used to be (they have been much more elaborate door PANELS for 7 decades or so). A boot is footwear.... cars don't have footwear. I actually think "sill" makes more sense than "rocker," though. Sill is how we describe the same portion of a window or doorway on a building, so it makes sense. I'm not sure what the etymology is behind "rocker."
Go back and look at cars in the 20s and 30s and youā€™ll understand wing. Hood and bonnet make equal sense. Trunk used to be a literal trunk. Like a wooden one strapped on. I wonder if rocker has to do with itā€™s where rocks are kicked up?
Sponsored