2021 Mustang GT

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
@BKoz Not familiar with it but I think it has a crank relearn feature.

OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Getting nowhere fast with this issue. Checked plugs again, all look the same. Random misfire continues to pop up. I re loaded the tune, did another relearn on the crank.. Still getting the CEL on some runs.

What heat range are the stock plugs from a 2021? Could I throw them back in with a gap of 28 to see if the issue goes away?

I figured out how to data log with the Livernois tuner but have no idea what I'm looking at and can't seem to get the files to save anywhere useable.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Getting nowhere fast with this issue. Checked plugs again, all look the same. Random misfire continues to pop up. I re loaded the tune, did another relearn on the crank.. Still getting the CEL on some runs.

What heat range are the stock plugs from a 2021? Could I throw them back in with a gap of 28 to see if the issue goes away?

I figured out how to data log with the Livernois tuner but have no idea what I'm looking at and can't seem to get the files to save anywhere useable.
When youā€™re speaking of the random misfire, are you getting the P0300? If so, had you checked the crank sensor,h are SS or connector as mentioned above in post # 11? Iā€™m only mentioning this again because it has been found the crank sensor can cause many sporadic issues, even if youā€™re not getting a direct crank sensor DTC.

Have you checked each spark plug using a multimeter to see if they are good? A spark plug can physically look fine, but may have internal damage. Just Google ā€œhow to check spark plug resistanceā€ and thereā€™s quite a few vids to demo how to bench test the plugs.

VCT solenoids could cause misfires too, which is what the recent fix was for this M6G member:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...s-and-cam-retarded-codes.176734/#post-3571964

Sponsored

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

Get some NGK 6510s tried and true and cheap.

OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
When youā€™re speaking of the random misfire, are you getting the P0300? If so, had you checked the crank sensor,h are SS or connector as mentioned above in post # 11? Iā€™m only mentioning this again because it has been found the crank sensor can cause many sporadic issues, even if youā€™re not getting a direct crank sensor DTC.

Have you checked each spark plug using a multimeter to see if they are good? A spark plug can physically look fine, but may have internal damage. Just Google ā€œhow to check spark plug resistanceā€ and thereā€™s quite a few vids to demo how to bench test the plugs.

VCT solenoids could cause misfires too, which is what the recent fix was for this M6G member:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...s-and-cam-retarded-codes.176734/#post-3571964
I'll have to bench test them tonight. I've only been visually checking them. I am getting the po300 code only, no specific cylinders.

I'll also have to check the crank sensor. I was taking for granted that the car only has less then 4k miles on it and assuming it would be fine.

OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Pulled and checked all plugs, all read where they should on the voltmeter and visually look fine.

Pulled the crank sensor, looks fine.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Do you have any buddies with a mustang that you could swap crank sensors with

Sponsored
OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I had a misfire after my Procharger install but It was the Brisk plugs so I switched to NGK and everything was fine after.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Cobra Jet referenced my misfire thread from a few weeks ago earlier, and my issue certainly wasn't random. I had a VCT solenoid go bad at 29k miles and the car ran really lean and rough. Not saying it couldn't be your issue, but with only 4k miles, I highly doubt it. I also got specific misfire codes along with cam retard codes with my p0300, where you are only getting the p0300.

OP
OP
BKoz

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Well I cracked the freaking sensor when I put it back in, nobody local has one from what I can tell..... Advanced auto has two that show up but look nothing like it should.

I'm guessing like most other cars, OEM is best anyway for these types of sensors?

I could see the crack where the bolt was after starting the car and hearing something touching. The tip was also scraped up.... Would the scraping be just from overtightening or something else. I also noticed the red o ring is missing....

20220709_195619.jpg

20220709_195626.jpg

20220709_195642.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well I cracked the freaking sensor when I put it back in, nobody local has one from what I can tell..... Advanced auto has two that show up but look nothing like it should.

I'm guessing like most other cars, OEM is best anyway for these types of sensors?

I could see the crack where the bolt was after starting the car and hearing something touching. The tip was also scraped up.... Would the scraping be just from overtightening or something else. I also noticed the red o ring is missing....

20220709_195619.jpg

20220709_195626.jpg

20220709_195642.jpg
The tip is scraped because it may have come in contact with the tone ring. The crank sensor reads the tone ring - if that ring gets bent (hope it didn't), you're going to end up with misfire codes., or worse case, car won't start.

See this thread for Tone ring info:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/p06e9-dtc-no-start.150022/page-2#post-3066365

The tone ring requires removal of the transmission.

See this thread; the first image in it, the round circular toothed object on the floor directly below the engine - that is the Tone Ring. It gets placed onto the back of the crank so the Crank Sensor can read it (also seen in the image):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...utch-install-and-flywheel-bolt-warning.87130/

---

Try @LevittownFordParts on here for a new CPS, they have good prices and excellent customer service.
Sponsored