Sponsored

Voodoo oil catch can. JLT vs UPR

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
Supposedly the Ford Performance cans will be in the catalog within a week or two.
I called today to check on tracking for my car and asked about the cans at the same time. The guy at FP said the passenger side can was ready to go and a drivers side can was in development. He didn't have a date on it, but said it would be "soon".
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I talked to bobs today about their cans and he told me they are making them for ford performance. And he said the exact same thing. The passengers side is good to go and the driver side is still in development. He said if I like he'll sell me the passenger side for $199 and give me the driver side for free along with a few mounting brackets for the driver side and report back to him with my opinion to fitment. All I have to do is keep in touch with him once I received them. I talked to Steven.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Steve,

Your post is actually what I was talking about in terms of vendors saying they're the best without giving actual data :) And before you dismiss me as another troll, I do think you have a solid product. However, what most vendors lack is data showing how their catch can caught more oil than XYZ brand. Even better would be how the intake has zero oil residue in it after a track day compared to your competitors. That's actual data. Showing where the air is going to flow and pics of the media is good for saying "this is a quality made product". Showing us how well it's actually going to do vs the competition in a real track environment is much much better.

Otherwise we're basically sitting around here saying one brand is better than another because we saw some cool pictures online :)

All that being said, have you guys considered doing an air/oil separator with an oil return like Crawford and IAG have done for the Subaru community? It effectively makes it a zero maintenance system while fixing the oil blow by issue.

Here is a thread showing a customer with our Single Valve can on his GT3500 after 1500miles.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40964&highlight=UPR

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Steve,

Your post is actually what I was talking about in terms of vendors saying they're the best without giving actual data :) And before you dismiss me as another troll, I do think you have a solid product. However, what most vendors lack is data showing how their catch can caught more oil than XYZ brand. Even better would be how the intake has zero oil residue in it after a track day compared to your competitors. That's actual data. Showing where the air is going to flow and pics of the media is good for saying "this is a quality made product". Showing us how well it's actually going to do vs the competition in a real track environment is much much better.

Otherwise we're basically sitting around here saying one brand is better than another because we saw some cool pictures online :)

All that being said, have you guys considered doing an air/oil separator with an oil return like Crawford and IAG have done for the Subaru community? It effectively makes it a zero maintenance system while fixing the oil blow by issue.
You are asking for a comparison between the UPR oil separator and the others that are still in development, that is like asking for a comparison between the 2016 GT350 and the 2018 GT500.

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
You are asking for a comparison between the UPR oil separator and the others that are still in development, that is like asking for a comparison between the 2016 GT350 and the 2018 GT500.
There are plenty of other cans on the market. Multiples are listed in this thread.

In regards to what UPR posted in response, it's obvious the cans work. I'm sure the other cans listed will work as well. My point of a catch can being a catch can still stands. Pick the one you like and go forward. There's no evidence supporting that one can is better than another until someone tests them. Asking "what's the best" is way to subjective in the aftermarket world. That's the whole point of my comment, it's pointless to ask what is best when there hasn't been testing.

All that being said, I'll likely build some cans to put on mine when I get it unless there's a return style design out by then. It's obvious these engines put out a reasonable amount of blow by and I don't enjoy oily intake components.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
When making these kinds of decisions between similar products - I always consider the history of the companies that I'm comparing. If one was known for putting out a cheap, problematic product previously or if a company was known for taking other peoples ideas and making cheap copies - I consider all of that. Length of time in business and product support cant be ignored, either.

I'd go with the Bobs/Ford one first.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Steve,

My problem with a zero maintenance return system is that, i've seen more than oil in the bottom of the can. Perhaps it's just broken down oil but it certainly seems like more than that. I wouldn't want that being returned to my oil pan. There is a reason Ford puts blow by in the intake so it can be burned instead of sending it back to the oil pan by use of a check valve.

There are plenty of other cans on the market. Multiples are listed in this thread.

In regards to what UPR posted in response, it's obvious the cans work. I'm sure the other cans listed will work as well. My point of a catch can being a catch can still stands. Pick the one you like and go forward. There's no evidence supporting that one can is better than another until someone tests them. Asking "what's the best" is way to subjective in the aftermarket world. That's the whole point of my comment, it's pointless to ask what is best when there hasn't been testing.

All that being said, I'll likely build some cans to put on mine when I get it unless there's a return style design out by then. It's obvious these engines put out a reasonable amount of blow by and I don't enjoy oily intake components.
That's what I was trying to tell you, there have been tests done. It's just on older products. The comparison I saw UPR was up against a brand that was twice as much; RX. RX easily beat out UPR in the tests, but since then UPR has improved their design. I've seen other comparisons where UPR beat out the other competition. Moroso was the third brand I was thinking of.

Now that I remembered about RX and moroso.

I'd say your top 4 are RX, UPR, Bobs, Moroso. A fifth might be Mishimoto's, it seems to collect a lot of oil in comparison to mine. Again, the JLT's i've seen doesn't compare in the slightest. They work, just not as well.

here's a link to the RX UPR comparo....

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr-vs-rx-catch-can-effectiveness-test-254381/

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
My problem with a zero maintenance return system is that, i've seen more than oil in the bottom of the can. Perhaps it's just broken down oil but it certainly seems like more than that. I wouldn't want that being returned to my oil pan. There is a reason Ford puts blow by in the intake so it can be burned instead of sending it back to the oil pan by use of a check valve.
The stuff besides oil is condensation from inside the block, fuel, and exhaust fumes. It's already in your oil and most of it is burned off or evaporated once the car/oil is up to temp. The return style systems that work well use a coolant line to warm the catch can up to operating temp which helps evaporate the condensation. That's what generally makes the stuff in catch cans look horrible. The other stuff isn't going to hurt anything. Another way to look at it is you're really just catching what's in the air, so a small percentage. Draining the oil back keeps the sump more full and requires less maintenance.

The reason you have closed system PCV in modern cars is because of emissions and drawing a vacuum on the crank case helps with ring seal.

Probably preaching to the choir and all though :)

I've run catch cans across multiple platforms in different forms of motorsports. Everything from a plastic bottle to a return style system with two cans. Some are better than others and it bears out in the data. In the end I really like the return style systems as you don't have to worry nearly as much about bringing extra oil.

That's what I was trying to tell you, there have been tests done. It's just on older products. The comparison I saw UPR was up against a brand that was twice as much; RX. RX easily beat out UPR in the tests, but since then UPR has improved their design. I've seen other comparisons where UPR beat out the other competition. Moroso was the third brand I was thinking of.

Now that I remembered about RX and moroso.

I'd say your top 4 are RX, UPR, Bobs, Moroso. A fifth might be Mishimoto's, it seems to collect a lot of oil in comparison to mine. Again, the JLT's i've seen doesn't compare in the slightest. They work, just not as well.

here's a link to the RX UPR comparo....

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr-vs-rx-catch-can-effectiveness-test-254381/
Some good data buried in that thread. Without data like that we wouldn't see improvements being made nearly as much :)

Last edited:

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I enjoyed the reads and have posted comparisons on here over time and the mods and other vendors do cry a lot and I was asked to remove and or not to mention the competition and to only focus on our products. You know how the president and the press operate, a lot of these message boards are like that because it could affect advertising dollars and when vendors cry about they pay and this is unfair.

It's funny to see the old RX comparison still lingers as that was with a can that a different vendor built for us and it did not do its job to say the least. So after we saw where the system fell short we completely redesigned every aspect of cans internals and made them modular so they could always be expanded or updated.

I could not agree more about the BLAH, BLAH, BLAH mines better mentality so many have. Our goal is to deliver a great system and keep the intake tract dry. I always around to help with specifics on our systems and share what we've learned.

Joe

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I talked to bobs today about their cans and he told me they are making them for ford performance. And he said the exact same thing. The passengers side is good to go and the driver side is still in development. He said if I like he'll sell me the passenger side for $199 and give me the driver side for free along with a few mounting brackets for the driver side and report back to him with my opinion to fitment. All I have to do is keep in touch with him once I received them. I talked to Steven.
It is interesting that Bob's is making them for Ford. The picture in the Ford Performance catalog shows a molded plastic OE-looking piece. All the cans on Bob's site are cylindrical aluminum with typical aftermarket brass or anodized fittings.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
However, what most vendors lack is data showing how their catch can caught more oil than XYZ brand. Even better would be how the intake has zero oil residue in it after a track day compared to your competitors. That's actual data. Showing where the air is going to flow and pics of the media is good for saying "this is a quality made product". Showing us how well it's actually going to do vs the competition in a real track environment is much much better.

I'm doing exactly those tests between the UPR and Elite Engineering catch cans....

Catch Can Comparison - UPR vs Elite Engineering
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41545

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
It is interesting that Bob's is making them for Ford. The picture in the Ford Performance catalog shows a molded plastic OE-looking piece. All the cans on Bob's site are cylindrical aluminum with typical aftermarket brass or anodized fittings.
They may have been talking about the promotional cars for the track tests.

I believe those used a bob's on each line.

-T

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
[MENTION=12998]UPRjoe[/MENTION]

My UPR can arrived but I wish there were an instruction sheet included. It's not clear where the can mount is supposed to be secured in the engine bay and the one picture isn't much help. Also is the flow through the check valve supposed to be toward or away from the intake manifold?

Thanks in advance.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
[MENTION=12998]UPRjoe[/MENTION]

My UPR can arrived but I wish there were an instruction sheet included. It's not clear where the can mount is supposed to be secured in the engine bay and the one picture isn't much help. Also is the flow through the check valve supposed to be toward or away from the intake manifold?

Thanks in advance.
What part number did you order ?

Joe
Sponsored