Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 6 speed manual.
This thread is huge, so forgive me for likely beating a dead horse here. I'm just dreading going to the dealer.

I have a weird vibration/flutter in the Transmission tunnel. I did not notice it until after break in, while cruising at 35-55 mph. Before 1000 mile break in, I varied my rpms and speed so much that it would not have been possible to notice it.

Here is a video series I took on March 25th, trying to diagnose the issue.

Youtube series for Mustang GT Vibration

Anyways, I thought this noise/vibration was a loose hand brake. So I waited until my Corsa Exhaust arrived, figured it would be easier to remove the label and tighten the hand brake while I was down there. I installed my new Corsa exhaust, I tightened the hand brake and removed the driveshaft label.

The vibration is still there. The hand brake is as tight as I dare tighten it. Admittedly, the vibration is not as pronounced, but its still pretty bad.

Newest video after install of Corsa

So I bought the NVH App. And it says I have a 1st order Driveshaft issue.

I really don't want to take this car to any of my three local dealers as I have had more bad experiences than good ones with them. 2 hours to change oil, not resolving/not finding problems that I had to fix later, etc.

So, what's my next steps here? Can I somehow avoid the dealer without buying a new driveshaft?
Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Guys with vibrations can swap wheels with someone temporarily to see if anything changes.

Same can be said about the drives haft. It's not that hard to try re clocking the drive haft in a different position to see if anything changes, also besides time this is free. Taking your tires to a tire shop for balance check most likely won't be free but it will tell you if that was or wasn't the problem. If the problem develops out of (seemingly) nowhere then I would strongly believe it is a tire issue, the belts can separate internally causing vibration. Good luck

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This thread is huge, so forgive me for likely beating a dead horse here. I'm just dreading going to the dealer.

I have a weird vibration/flutter in the Transmission tunnel. I did not notice it until after break in, while cruising at 35-55 mph. Before 1000 mile break in, I varied my rpms and speed so much that it would not have been possible to notice it.

Here is a video series I took on March 25th, trying to diagnose the issue.

Youtube series for Mustang GT Vibration

Anyways, I thought this noise/vibration was a loose hand brake. So I waited until my Corsa Exhaust arrived, figured it would be easier to remove the label and tighten the hand brake while I was down there. I installed my new Corsa exhaust, I tightened the hand brake and removed the driveshaft label.

The vibration is still there. The hand brake is as tight as I dare tighten it. Admittedly, the vibration is not as pronounced, but its still pretty bad.

Newest video after install of Corsa

So I bought the NVH App. And it says I have a 1st order Driveshaft issue.

I really don't want to take this car to any of my three local dealers as I have had more bad experiences than good ones with them. 2 hours to change oil, not resolving/not finding problems that I had to fix later, etc.

So, what's my next steps here? Can I somehow avoid the dealer without buying a new driveshaft?
Definately some kind of harmonic resonance/fluttering going on at the same speed, regardless if the transmission is in gear or neutral. If I recall correctly, most people here reported vibration at a higher speed than 35 MPH like you are getting. Someone needs to run the car on a dyno of safely in the air to see if the source can be seen. Is it possible it's some kind of shield under the car going into harmonics from airflow?

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Definately some kind of harmonic resonance/fluttering going on at the same speed, regardless if the transmission is in gear or neutral. If I recall correctly, most people here reported vibration at a higher speed than 35 MPH like you are getting. Someone needs to run the car on a dyno of safely in the air to see if the source can be seen. Is it possible it's some kind of shield under the car going into harmonics from airflow?
I called two dealers who told me I could drop my car off, but it would be a two week minimum before they could even look at it. :facepalm:

I called Ford's customer service line, and they called another dealer in my area. They have an appointment to actually diagnose the car tomorrow at 2. No waiting for weeks. At least that's what they said. Ill update tomorrow with results of some kind. I am not dropping my car off and leaving it for weeks at a time for a vibration issue. I'll pay a shop to fix it and sue Ford in small claims court before I drop it off for weeks with no rental or anything.

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I took my car in. They confirmed they can hear and feel the vibration. They want to take apart the console on Thursday of next week. Mind you I watched them actually work on the car for three hours. Mostly they tested the drivetrain to make sure it wasn't unsafe to drive. Since it was deemed okay to drive, they want to take apart the console and do more in depth testing. I'm pretty sure this guy will track down the vibration. Will update next week.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
why would they do anything with the console??

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
why would they do anything with the console??
Well, I don't really know how to answer to that. But I am glad they checked it out. Turns out the main culprit is my driveshaft, which I figured anyways. In addition, there was a broken piece on the hand brake and under the console that was rattling from the part on the driveshaft that was vibrating. Dealer is ordering a new drive shaft, and new trim piece. I should hopefully get the car back soon. They don't have an ETA on the driveshaft yet, but they should know tomorrow.

Last edited:

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Ok, they're checking the console because of the rattle.

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Driveshaft should arrive on Tuesday. I hope it resolves the issue.

Sponsored

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Ask them if they have a pro in their shop that can analyze and balance the driveshaft per Ford's procedure.
I called on Tuesday to check on the driveshaft. They said it's in, and they are installing it today, per Ford's procedure. I asked if they had an experienced tech installing the DS per Ford's procedure and they said yes. It should be finished tomorrow. I will update once I pick up the car what the results are.

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Picked up the car. The new driveshaft does what it's supposed to do and the drive home was fun and vibration free. There where three issues. One was the carrier bearing, the other was two bolts In the back of the drive shaft, and the third was the ring on the bottom of the shift boot was rattling around due to a broken clip. All three fixed and the car runs great!

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
I only read the first 42 pages, but has anyone ever looked at the rubber bushing around the carrier bearing? This is a 14, S197 shaft with only 10K original miles. Severe vibration started about a year ago. No cracks in the rubber, just seems like it gave up it's hardness. Anyway, just another data point for those in their vibration quest.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/MUSTANG GT/DRIVESHAFT/CARRIER BEARING BUSHING/20220630_150645.mp4

(may have to click on 3 dots on lower right to download vid, Win 10
can be a PIA to start my vids off the server I use, sometimes).

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
Picked up the car. The new driveshaft does what it's supposed to do and the drive home was fun and vibration free. There where three issues. One was the carrier bearing, the other was two bolts In the back of the drive shaft, and the third was the ring on the bottom of the shift boot was rattling around due to a broken clip. All three fixed and the car runs great!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same issue minus the vibrations. I have a 2021 GT with 5K miles. The noise started last week out of nowhere. I hear it at 25 mph thru 40 mph then it starts to fade. I m taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.

Has the sound or vibration resurfaced since Ford changed the driveshaft?

Thanks

Turian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the same issue minus the vibrations. I have a 2021 GT with 5K miles. The noise started last week out of nowhere. I hear it at 25 mph thru 40 mph then it starts to fade. I m taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.

Has the sound or vibration resurfaced since Ford changed the driveshaft?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge. I traded in for the A10 with some recaros, PP1 and Magneride.
Sponsored