Vibration between 50 & 70 mph

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by icarumba, Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

1. No

53.8%
  2. Yes - V8/MT

20.1%
  3. Yes - V8/AT

12.7%
  4. Yes - V6/MT

1.1%
  5. Yes - V6/AT

3.6%
  6. Yes - EB/MT

2.4%
  7. Yes - EB/AT

6.3%
  1. Lo Pony

Lo Pony Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Take me home
    Vehicle(s):
    86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
    Mountain Momma
    0   0   0
    I have not heard of a single 2018 up car with the drivetrain vibration. That will sound and feel like being in a turboprop airplane. The d.s., pinion flange and other parts on the newer cars are totally different from the 15-17s. Anything below 60 MPH is unrelated, and is most likely a tire/wheel.

2. Coolmanfoo

Coolmanfoo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt
    0   0   0
    I'm really late to this thread. I've just barely noticed my car is rumbling between 70-90 mph. I wouldn't quite call it a vibration but more of a pulsing rumble.

Is that what you all are experiencing or do I just have bad tires lol

3. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Take me home
    Vehicle(s):
    86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
    Mountain Momma
    0   0   0
    Remind you of an airplane propeller? It can come in beats, “whoooooom-whoooooom”. It can vary with load.

Not a “shimmy” or back and fourth shake of the steering wheel?

That’s the downside of using these forums. Sometimes it can alert you to a problem that you didn’t know you had before. Haha

4. Coolmanfoo

Coolmanfoo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt
    0   0   0
    It's definitely not a shimmer. If I'm crusiing at 80 it feels like pulses. Actually yes similar to a propeller. There is nothing audible to it

5. Lo Pony

First Name:
    Take me home
    Vehicle(s):
    Mountain Momma
    0   0   0
    #3605 Lo Pony, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    That sounds like the drivetrain vibration. If it’s not severe or really annoying, I would recommend just trying to live with it. You can try what I did, unbolt the driveshaft of the pinion flange and rotate and reattach at 90° increments relative to the flange to see if that helps the vibration. After that, you can place washers under the pinion flange bolts to introduce a little bit of a compensatory imbalance that may help your vibration if it’s put on the right bolt on the flange. That’s really about all you can do without replacing the flange and driveshaft with 2018 and up versions from Ford. Do not go try to fix it with an aftermarket driveshaft. It’s a crapshoot. Even if the driveshaft manufacturer says their shafts are perfectly balanced, that perfect balance may not work with your flange, and then it will vibrate worse. If you are going to get an aftermarket shaft, it’s wise to purchase the 2018 and up pinion flange from Ford, since it has much tighter tolerances, and send the flange to your driveshaft manufacturer, and have them balance the new shaft and the flange as a matched set. Otherwise there is no certain way you will be able to get it vibration free.

Sucky situation. I’ve been around the world with this problem on many cars since 1999; The 99 through 01 cobras had horrible issues with this problem. And my 2016 mustang GT had it as well. I was able to make it better by clocking the driveshaft relative to the flange, but I never got rid of it. That’s why I traded the car in. I cannot tolerate this problem.

6. offroadkarter

offroadkarter Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Just dropped my car off at the dealer earlier today, the one I'm currently using now that I live out in PA. Going to follow up with the usual service adviser I work with since he was out today.

Of course, when I sat down w/ service and said (yes I've had the car in for this problem multiple times at my last dealer), the only thing they found on record in the oasis report was way back in 2016 with 2000 miles on the car when my old dealer put the new DS in. I'm willing to bet all the times they messed with the tires they never tied it to this issue.

I told the service adviser my last dealer kept blaming the tires, I know its not the tires, so I don't want it back saying "its fixed, we checked the tires". I'll keep rejecting it until they either fix it or I get pissed off enough to deal with it myself.

7. surfing

surfing New Member

First Name:
    Jes
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ford Mustang V6 CONV
    0   0   0
    We are on Day 60 without our 2017 Mustang V6 Conv. 5k , RAV made first contact with us on replacing the car, now we have to wait an additional 2 weeks before we get our first offer on the replacement. NOT FUN

8. offroadkarter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0

I'm a year past trying to do a lemon law buy back under NJ law, so at this point either they fix it or I will.

Yes I'm a stubborn SOB

9. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    60 days? In most States, 30 days is max and bam - it’s Lemon’d.

Read up on Lemon Law thread...

There is no “offer”, YOU demand a replacement or full refund, there’s no other option. Why so long to get RAV involved?

10. Cobra Jet

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0

What’s your accrued mileage? What was the documented mileage of first instance of vibe?

11. offroadkarter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    I'm a little over 16,000 miles, the last record in the OASIS report is around 2000 miles when they replaced the driveshaft after the SSM came out.

Without seeing what is in the OASIS report, I want to say I brought this up to them around 1500 miles at my first oil change, they re-balanced the tires.

12. Cobra Jet

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    If the car was brought in for the concern and the mileage at that time was below the NJ threshold, (which I believe still remains at 2/24 from date of purchase) AND the problem still exists, you might have leverage requesting a Buy Back. If the work was performed at any US Ford Dealership, the work was logged into a Ford Service Center system by your VIN, so your concern and “mileage in” is documented.

If the car went in to the shop 2 more times for the same redundant repair issue, after 3 attempts by the Manufacturer to fix, it qualifies for a Lemon. Also if the car were at the shop for 30 consecutive days OR 30 days within the calendar year, it would also qualify.

I’m not sure if you have seen or read through this link yet - it contains a lot of helpful info and may be beneficial:
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...or-are-filing-lemon-law-for-their-s550.59015/

Also search my User ID and the term “RAV” on this site, you’ll find a TON of helpful info I had posted and about my RAV Buy Back experience with my prior 2016.

Have you ever called Ford 800# and opened a Case Number for the concern? If not you still can do that as well, especially if your still warranted under the 3/36.

13. offroadkarter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    I had thought the lemon period was within 2 years from purchase period, as in I thought the process had to be started within that period. That was always how I always interpreted the law at least.

My 3/36 actually just expired 9 days ago, I'm on an extended warranty now.

14. Cobra Jet

Vehicle(s):
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    This is the most current Ford SSM-47991 regarding driveline vibes for all 2015-2018’s; see attached.

Attached Files:

15. offroadkarter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Stopped by the dealer today and test drove the car, they re-balanced the driveshaft and it actually feels better than it ever has. By better, it actually feels fixed, I've never felt it so smooth in this speed range before. I'm going to drive the car to work for the rest of the week ( I do about 110 miles a day) and see how it goes, but I'm cautiously optimistic.