Vibration between 50 & 70 mph

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by icarumba, Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

1. No

53.8%
  2. Yes - V8/MT

20.2%
  3. Yes - V8/AT

12.5%
  4. Yes - V6/MT

1.1%
  5. Yes - V6/AT

3.6%
  6. Yes - EB/MT

2.4%
  7. Yes - EB/AT

6.3%
  1. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    Did you take your car to ford this time as well? My understanding was that they use a road simulation balancer that should detect this sort of thing . With these modern bandaide tires and stiff suspension I am pretty sure i can tell when i run over dime vs a nickel. Everything has to be just right. Be sure to check back after the new wheels are on.

2. Cruizer40

Cruizer40 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
    0   0   0
    Yes sir, the car was taken to a dealership. They did use the device you spoke of as well. I will post again when the wheels are on, bitter pill to swallow spending another 3000 again.

3. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    I have the factory PP wheels and i like them enough i dont see myself changing them since a supercharger is on santa's list. I may get some 10 inch for the back and move the 9.5 forward.

4. Cruizer40

Cruizer40 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
    0   0   0
    Yep Whipples on my list as well, however I new wheels is the must

5. Decosse

Decosse Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dana
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ingot Silver V6 051a 3.55
    0   0   0
    Since this thread still has some life, I guess it's time I updated the issue I had Feb '17. Mine is a success story, though, and I feel my dealer and their service dept has been fair with me. When the issue came up I was given a loaner GT convertible, followed by an apology and explanation.

I had taken the car in for a TB recall and a clunk in the driveshaft- up to that point never had a vibration issue.. Dealer needed to order new driveshaft, so they gave me a car.... thread here: ( https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...and-driveline-clunk-bonus.75913/#post-1722364). I picked my car up just before work in the afternoon, and felt something a little off. After work that night, did the kind of drive recommended here, made notes, copied parts of post. It was vibrating badly, especially 50-70. I took it back the next morning with notes. My service writer said they had just gotten a communication about the issue. He said he'd give all the info to the techs, gave me back the loaner GT, and I went home.

Got a call in the afternoon, with apology and explanation. The car had been passed directly from driveline techs to get TB work done, (It's a big place) so apparently the driveabilty test was done for throttle body, not driveline. The new driveshaft was supposed to be balanced from the supplier, and somehow wasn't. Apologies were given, no excuses made, and the car was ready. They had made diagnosis/repair a priority, it had been road tested and ready to go. I picked it up (just a few hours after dropping it off).

I've driven it close to 10000 miles since, a daily driver- as well as road trips to Salt Lake City and Venice Beach, with long 85+ mph stretches. It has been fine ever since, no problems at all.

Dealer/Service Dept experiences vary, and I have no complaints about mine. I feel they have always been fair to me, and did their best to correct an issue. Compared to some of the stories on here, I feel lucky.

Scan Gaudin0015b.jpg

6. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    For those who need it or want to read over what Ford Techs do for NVH diagnosis - here’s Ford NVH info:

Attached Files:

steveo1960 and GT Pony like this.
  7. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    Forgive me here but i am somewhat confused. You say the supplier was suppose to balance the DS . Who was the supplier? mine came from Ford directly and installed by me dealer. Good to hear everything went well for you as well, i had a great experience and since i work in the trade i had some trepidation since we are a small city and people who we interact with dont like going back to our local Ford dealer. I have no complaints though the last service writer i dealt with was a dick, all the rest were great.

8. Decosse

First Name:
    Dana
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #3518 Decosse, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    I'm not sure, that's what I was told. The part did come from Ford, they do have outside out part manufacturers, or they were referring to supply chain? An expression? At any rate, it was supposed to have been delivered balanced. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this link https://www.mustang6g.com/mustangwiki/doku.php , there are a lot of suppliers, don't know specifics. Bottom line, car was repaired by Ford with Ford parts wherever they started. Hope your repair was successful! Good luck with it, they are really fun cars.

9. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    Oh yeah mine went great, smooth as butter. They are a great car ,shame they come with such crappy tires. This is the Firestone gate all over again lol. I bought my car used but they had put new tires on it, Pirelli pzero and they are fine until the temp drops ,not ideal for where i live. The temp here through september through october is well below whats safe for these tires.

Decosse likes this.
  10. Decosse

First Name:
    Dana
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Glad to hear it came out ok. I remember Firestone gate, with Explorers? Yes, I hear people have a love/hate thing with the Pirellis. You almost have to have a cold weather set. Mine came with (optional) W rated 18 in Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Seasons, seem to work quite well. But the coldest I deal with is maybe 30 F., not the extreme you have

11. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1 Auto
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    #3521 hlh1, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    I just spent the past several hours trying the hose clamp method, but was not able to make this work. Everything was worse than it was. I'm thinking my vibration is small enough that the hose clamp weight is more than is needed.

12. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    Just some ideas here . Remove the wheels and put some nuts on to hold the rotors on and squeeze back the calipers. This should confirm if its wheels or driveline since the shaft angle doesnt change on an irs setup . Go online and get an app for your phone to read the vibrations then try using a hose clamp. Moving them up or down the shaft should change their effect on the balance. Also dont make wholesale changes just slight variation in position.

13. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1 Auto
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    I put the hose clamp near the differential and clocked it about 30 degrees each time I moved it. The wheels and tires are fine, they were checked and fixed by the dealer. I'm feeling the typical rumble on my seat that says it's the differential.

14. GT Pony

GT Pony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
    0   0   0
    How much back lash do you have in the differential? If it's excessive you can get noise and rumbles from the differential.

15. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1 Auto
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    My back lash didn't "clunk" like this when I was rotating the wheels and driveshaft to move the hose clamp.