Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
2 youtuber's have wiped out their DS on 2019,s and one of them put in one piece shaft and it now has vibrations. I think at some point people just get sick of complaining and then the thread dies. Same thing with the typewriter tick. Still some guys indirectly bitch about it but Ford has essentially told people to FO and live with it by releaseing their latest tsb. This is how ford rolls, ignore it and act like nothings wrong since we have no recourse other than a buy back.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Folks have figured it out on the 15-17 models...18-19 ive read no complaints but they do have the vaunted tick to deal with..

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My vibration quit after a drive shaft replacement under warranty. It was changed because of excessive movement of the U joint. After the replacement smooth as butter.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
My vibration quit after a drive shaft replacement under warranty. It was changed because of excessive movement of the U joint. After the replacement smooth as butter.
You were extremely lucky on the repair.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
What happened to this thread? I'm assuming the 2019 mustangs don't vibrate? What did they change?
Yes, they figured it out. 2018-19 have a new pinion flange, a properly matched rear driveshaft and pinion flange combo, and I think they included a new center driveshaft hanger bearing . All this is to reduce variability between drivetrain parts that can cause harmonics that result in a vibration.

For the 2018-19 cars, they took extra care to properly match the runout and imbalance of the rear driveshaft with the corresponding imbalance/runout of the pinion flange. Also, they included a rubber sprung vibration damper bolted to the upper differential mount that is tuned to vibrate at the same frequency as the drivetrain vibration, and thus it will cancel most vibrations that are caused by improper matching of driveshaft to flange that is inherent from factory assembly. The result is a band-aid fix that compensates for common imbalances that lead to vibrations.

Just like what they did to correct the drivetrain vibes on the 99 -01 cobras with IRS 20 years ago.

I posted lots of good tech info on this problem. Do a search for my username and you’ll see what I mean.

If you have a vibrating car, get the matched flange/driveshaftt setup with the vibration damper.

Do not think an aftermarket driveshaft will correct the problem. In most cases it will make it worse, because aftermarket driveshafts are “zero imbalance”, and thus are not specifically tuned to the harmonics of your pinion flange.

But of course, I only have 20 years of experience with this issue, so what do I know.? Lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I guess I'm going to have to push the dealer to get mine fixed. My vibration is pretty subtle and it's easy for them to ignore.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
My stock drive shaft had zero vibes but when I upgraded to a 1 piece it vibrated. I flipped it 180 degrees which took away %90 of it. Then i put 1/4 inch shims on The crossmember and the rest went away..live and learn..

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT

What was your symptoms? rpms/speed etc. I have a bad high freq vibe in the steering wheel floor board in fifth gear at 60 mph or 2700 rpms. Shift to sixth and its gone. Left it in fourth and took it up to 60 no vibe. I have tried different gears at 60 and different gears at 2700 rpms and it's only in fifth at 2700/ 60-65 mph.

Had new tires put on so I will go back and have them checked to see if I threw a weight.

Deleted member 35786

Automatic here.. I did have some vibes but was very minor and at varying speeds. Since I installed a new set of tires it is smooth as silk no matter what speed.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
What was your symptoms? rpms/speed etc. I have a bad high freq vibe in the steering wheel floor board in fifth gear at 60 mph or 2700 rpms. Shift to sixth and its gone. Left it in fourth and took it up to 60 no vibe. I have tried different gears at 60 and different gears at 2700 rpms and it's only in fifth at 2700/ 60-65 mph.

Had new tires put on so I will go back and have them checked to see if I threw a weight.
Man it's been several years. Around 80 a vibration enough to blur my rear view mirror.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
My ‘18 has an oscillating vibration at 55-65 mph, but I’m pretty sure it’s tire related because I only feel it in the steering wheel. If I take my hands off the wheel, I don’t feel any rumble or vibration in the seat or anywhere else.

Last edited:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
If you still have warranty take it to the dealer.
The drive shaft replacement under warrant stopped the vibration. It is now very smooth.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yes, they figured it out. 2018-19 have a new pinion flange, a properly matched rear driveshaft and pinion flange combo, and I think they included a new center driveshaft hanger bearing . All this is to reduce variability between drivetrain parts that can cause harmonics that result in a vibration.

For the 2018-19 cars, they took extra care to properly match the runout and imbalance of the rear driveshaft with the corresponding imbalance/runout of the pinion flange. Also, they included a rubber sprung vibration damper bolted to the upper differential mount that is tuned to vibrate at the same frequency as the drivetrain vibration, and thus it will cancel most vibrations that are caused by improper matching of driveshaft to flange that is inherent from factory assembly. The result is a band-aid fix that compensates for common imbalances that lead to vibrations.

Just like what they did to correct the drivetrain vibes on the 99 -01 cobras with IRS 20 years ago.

I posted lots of good tech info on this problem. Do a search for my username and you’ll see what I mean.

If you have a vibrating car, get the matched flange/driveshaftt setup with the vibration damper.

Do not think an aftermarket driveshaft will correct the problem. In most cases it will make it worse, because aftermarket driveshafts are “zero imbalance”, and thus are not specifically tuned to the harmonics of your pinion flange.

But of course, I only have 20 years of experience with this issue, so what do I know.? Lol[/QUOTE.
Do you know the part number for the new updated driveshaft?

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Do you know the part number for the latest new driveshaft? Wonder if it will fit my V-6 model.
Sponsored