Upgrading to Sync 3.4

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
How long did this take. The full install take at least 60 minutes. I found when doing my 1.18 update that you were not supposed to pul the USB after the first notice.
I was driving my car while installation. The first system restart was at around 35-40 min mark. Then it took about 20 min for the second system restart. Then another 10 min for the third system restart and second time it said update competed and remove USB. All this time during the installation I never remove USB. Still nav maps version is 1 17. If you don't remove USB and the upgrade completed with the last restart, the upgrade will start from the beginning without saying that there is same version of maps in both Sync 3 and USB. This upgrade install shouldn't be that hard.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was driving my car while installation. The first system restart was at around 35-40 min mark. Then it took about 20 min for the second system restart. Then another 10 min for the third system restart and second time it said update competed and remove USB. All this time during the installation I never remove USB. Still nav maps version is 1 17. If you don't remove USB and the upgrade completed with the last restart, the upgrade will start from the beginning without saying that there is same version of maps in both Sync 3 and USB. This upgrade install shouldn't be that hard.
I hear you. That's why I've decided to hit the brakes on installing. I have the USB ready to go but unless someone on here who has 3.3 shows me a screen with 1.19 I'm not wasting my time.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Guys, it's not necessary to have the engine running. Wasting gas and the life of your car. Just make sure you have a healthy battery, turn off the headlights, or hook up a battery charger to be sure. Push the start button without starting. If the update gets interrupted press start again and keep doing it until finished, the data transfer from USB will resume if interrupted. I did my Sync update and my map update this way.
interesting.. that would have been good info to know (for me) a few days ago, lol

FWIW though, the instructions say to make sure "Vehicle fuel level is adequate to run for over an hour." and "Ensure vehicle is running", and immediately after that they do explain that you should turn off "auto engine shutdown" option..

then after step 1 it says "Note: If this software update is interrupted during the installation process the update will need to be restarted from the beginning. Some functions will remain unavailable until the update is completed."

now im not saying StangTime is incorrect, what i'm getting at is.. it sucks that we're given instructions that are not necessarily correct.. you'd think a company with the resources ford has could ensure that the third party vendors they hire do their jobs

in any case, thanks for the info :)

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
interesting.. that would have been good info to know (for me) a few days ago, lol

FWIW though, the instructions say to make sure "Vehicle fuel level is adequate to run for over an hour." and "Ensure vehicle is running", and immediately after that they do explain that you should turn off "auto engine shutdown" option..

then after step 1 it says "Note: If this software update is interrupted during the installation process the update will need to be restarted from the beginning. Some functions will remain unavailable until the update is completed."

now im not saying StangTime is incorrect, what i'm getting at is.. it sucks that we're given instructions that are not necessarily correct.. you'd think a company with the resources ford has could ensure that the third party vendors they hire do their jobs

in any case, thanks for the info :)
That was my experience with my update. Your situation may vary. Hopefully it works as well for you as it did for me. There was no way in hell I was going to let the car idle for an hour. The other option was to take it for an hour long road trip but I had nowhere to go at the time. Let me know what your experience is like doing it that way.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
That was my experience with my update. Your situation may vary. Hopefully it works as well for you as it did for me. There was no way in hell I was going to let the car idle for an hour. The other option was to take it for an hour long road trip but I had nowhere to go at the time. Let me know what your experience is like doing it that way.
I new I can update maps without idling engine and I have Ctek battery charger that I can plug in. But seating in the car and watching update progress and keep car not to shot down was not an option for me neither idling the car. I was riding my car during the entire installation and when the upgrade completed with turning car off exiting and entering again, it's still shows version 1 17 as it was prior to installation. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind answering. What version of navigation maps was before and after your upgrade? What name of license file in your download (4U5T-14G424-CC.TAR or JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ). What Sync 3 software version do you have? Was the maps upgrade for Mustang GT or GT350, I don't think it's matter though because the system is the same?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I did the updates on a GT. I had Sync 3 ver 3.3, upgraded to ver 3.4 using download from Cyanlabs. Followed that with a map update from 1.17 to 1.18 with Cyanlabs files. Sorry that is likely not going to be useful for those trying to download from Ford. But the files to do this all originate from Ford. Cyanlabs just makes the process much simpler.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I did the updates on a GT. I had Sync 3 ver 3.3, upgraded to ver 3.4 using download from Cyanlabs. Followed that with a map update from 1.17 to 1.18 with Cyanlabs files. Sorry that is likely not going to be useful for those trying to download from Ford. But the files to do this all originate from Ford. Cyanlabs just makes the process much simpler.
Thanks for clarifying. That explains. For me it's a different process. I'm not going to upgrade through Cyanlabs version.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for clarifying. That explains. For me it's a different process. I'm not going to upgrade through Cyanlabs version.
Yeah. Different process. I hope you are able to get yours working through Ford. I know it's frustrating.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I new I can update maps without idling engine and I have Ctek battery charger that I can plug in. But seating in the car and watching update progress and keep car not to shot down was not an option for me neither idling the car. I was riding my car during the entire installation and when the upgrade completed with turning car off exiting and entering again, it's still shows version 1 17 as it was prior to installation. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind answering. What version of navigation maps was before and after your upgrade? What name of license file in your download (4U5T-14G424-CC.TAR or JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ). What Sync 3 software version do you have? Was the maps upgrade for Mustang GT or GT350, I don't think it's matter though because the system is the same?
JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ is what Ford gave me too, and it fails to install. Using a brand new USB 3.0 flash drive, followed instructions to the letter..

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have done the download for my 2018 Explorer and it won't install either. The license file JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ is the same file name as the one for the GT350 - I upgraded both cars last year up to the 18 maps.

The error I get is the LST_ERR05 error, and according to the docs it's a licensing problem. I opened up the license file gzip and unraveled the tar file and looked at the contents. The License.txt file says JR3T-14G421-CD and the map file in the SyncMyRide directory is JR3T-14G421-CE. I suspect they've issued the wrong license file here - it should be CE at the end to match the map file in SyncMyRide.

At this point I think I'll pause and await developments. They might get enough complaints that they fix this - it looks like an internal config error at their end.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I have done the download for my 2018 Explorer and it won't install either. The license file JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ is the same file name as the one for the GT350 - I upgraded both cars last year up to the 18 maps.

The error I get is the LST_ERR05 error, and according to the docs it's a licensing problem. I opened up the license file gzip and unraveled the tar file and looked at the contents. The License.txt file says JR3T-14G421-CD and the map file in the SyncMyRide directory is JR3T-14G421-CE. I suspect they've issued the wrong license file here - it should be CE at the end to match the map file in SyncMyRide.

At this point I think I'll pause and await developments. They might get enough complaints that they fix this - it looks like an internal config error at their end.
This is why my USB in currently sitting in the desk drawer. No sense wasting my time until this is figured out.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone who has successfully installed it post the file names and the license file please ? I am sure there is a small mismatch in either the license.txt file and version.der certificate, and it fails to install due to that...
The license.txt file has a different entry than the version.der ... license.txt in my case is:

JR3T-14G421-CD

The version.der contains the following:

Ford Part Number = JR3T-14G424-CD
Type = License
ESN = WV4E01RP
File1 = License.txt
File1 Hash Value = 55cec5ed962f2c119ddfaf6d5f4853730ab3d5d1a4853b6ca4640fefff230e00
File1 Size = 14
Save Location = /fs/rwdata/

and this is the contents of my map files (i.e. SyncMyRide folder before adding the license file inside):

Annotation 2020-07-05 115143.jpg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My new from yesterday JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ file passes a "fc /b" compare with the JR3T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ file that came with my 2018 map update. That means that on a bit-by-bit level, the new file and the 2018 file are exactly the same. That's another reason I think I was sent the wrong file.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I called the support line... they are bloody useless... They made me copy the license file again in the folder and try... Of course it did not work. I did do that before.. Now the wait time is too long to call.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I called the support line... they are bloody useless... They made me copy the license file again in the folder and try... Of course it did not work. I did do that before.. Now the wait time is too long to call.
They’re reading off a script. Have this, do that. You have to insist on a supervisor. That’s certainly not a guarantee but it’s the next step up the ladder.
Sponsored