Sponsored

Worth Upgrading to a GT350 over Camaro SS?

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I don't mean this to be a dig to you at all! But because you're evening asking this question makes me think the Camaro is better for you. The GT350 isn't really a bargain and when compared to the Camaro, even less so. So, unless the FPC engine /Shelby badge and styling is driving you to spend that $$$ on its own, I don't think you'll be happy with the decision. As others have said, there's plenty about the Camaro that works better day to day and will be a bigger benefit to you if you're not prioritizing the Shelby looks and engine note above all else (this all assumes track use isn't in your future).

I almost ordered the exact car you have before I secured my GT350 allocation, so I get where you're at. But for me, the engine and Shelby looks pulled me towards the GT350 (I could handle the heavier chassis, inferior interior, lack of tech, etc.). Though, to be fair, my car became a dedicated track car in 2 two years. YMMV :)
Not a dig at all, I appreciate hearing from others who were in the same position. So many people on forums are such diehard Chevy guys or Ford guys and couldn't ever objectively consider buying another brand, so it's tough to find people who are just looking at it all objectively.

I would easily give the edge to the Shelby easily in terms of looks, and I've never really loved how my Camaro looks to be honest compared to the Mustang.

That Voodoo sound and feel is really so good that it makes the extra cost even worth considering. It's just tough for the rational side of my brain to justify another $20k on that type of intangible, is all. But, if we were rational, we'd all be driving Camrys instead :)
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Not a dig at all, I appreciate hearing from others who were in the same position. So many people on forums are such diehard Chevy guys or Ford guys and couldn't ever objectively consider buying another brand, so it's tough to find people who are just looking at it all objectively.

I would easily give the edge to the Shelby easily in terms of looks, and I've never really loved how my Camaro looks to be honest compared to the Mustang.

That Voodoo sound and feel is really so good that it makes the extra cost even worth considering. It's just tough for the rational side of my brain to justify another $20k on that type of intangible, is all. But, if we were rational, we'd all be driving Camrys instead :)
I can only say that I did test drive the Camaro zl1 before I bought my first GT350 in 2016, and I kind of liked it. But then I hopped in the GT350, and fell in love within the first mile.

Needless to say, I sold my GT350 to buy a GT350R, that's how much I enjoyed it... I love the R to bits. To me, nothing else exists out there, apart from maybe a Ferrari F430 Scuderia in the future.

Now if you are still on the edge asking if it's worth 20k, maybe not for you. For me, it was just money. I paid 17K just to upgrade from GT350 to GT350R.

Some decisions are made with the heart, not with the head (assuming you have the money of course). Either way, good luck...

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I am currently leasing a 2017 Camaro SS M/T that is my daily driver, and the lease is ending in a few weeks. Given how much used car prices have gone up, I can buy my lease out for $25k and realistically sell it for $34-35k. I love the SS but have had it for three years and the GT350 is something Iā€™ve had my eye on for awhile as kind of the next step up from what I have now. I test drove one recently and loved the exhaust and shifter.

The Voodoo engine definitely has a different feel than the LT1, as it feels less torquey at lower RPMs but likes to rev out a lot more than the LT1. The SS fees faster around town and from a stop, and Iā€™d guess the GT350 feels faster at speed when the revs are up. The exhaust note is incredible on the GT350 and would never get old hearing it. The GT350 also has a better feeling shifter.

One downside to me personally to the GT350 is that I used to have a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang Premium for 3 years prior to the Camaro, so everything else about the GT350 inside seems kind of old and familiar at this point, and it has fewer daily comforts than my old Mustang had. My Camaro is also the 2SS which has a nice interior and a lot of daily comforts like heated steering wheel and ventilated seats.

Anyway, a decent used GT350 is probably $45-$50k right now, so at least $20k more than I can buy out my Camaro SS for. Iā€™m pretty torn about what to do but would love to hear anyone elseā€™s thoughts as to whether this really justifies the premium. Iā€™m not looking to track this or race, but I do value having a V8 RWD manual car that is fun to drive and is somewhat practical as a daily (likely ruling out a Corvette for that reason). Iā€™m also not interested in a Mustang GT as that seems too similar to what I had before and not really a big enough upgrade over what I have now for the money.

If you have a 1LE SS, keep it......

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
I drove the 2020 Camaro 1 LE; it is a fine car and substantially cheaper than the GT 350, with similar performance. I ended up purchasing the GT 350. It is simply a matter of personal preference. It was my money; spend yours as you please.

Sponsored

Skeptic14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 white/blue
huh... I think anytime it was a guarantee I could buy something and immediately sell it for 10k profit... I'd do that

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the GT350 powertrain and handling is totally unique and wasn't comparing that to the EcoBoost in anyway. I just meant that in terms of the interior and to some extent the exterior looks, the GT350 is just a bit less exciting to me since I've already had the EcoBoost for three years before the Camaro and a lot of that is pretty similar to the GT350. I think if it weren't for that, I'd be a lot more sold on the GT350 since it would be all new and different to me. It just feels like going back to my old car in some respects which is part of the hangup I'm probably having. But, the powertrain is so good it might outweigh all of that.
If you update to a 19 with the leather seats you will get some very nice updates to the interior, leather and cloth heated/cooled seats, more soft touch pieces even by your knees on the side of the center console.. B/O Stereo is a great upgrade from the 2017-18... BLISS if you like the extra blind spot monitoring., rear warning sensors for backing up..... plus those cool cobra puddle lamps. I really like the interior in the 2019.... You can add accent lighting to the foot wells.. yeah you don't get the my color for the guages, but I never changed that much on my 2016 GT Premium. All in all it's a pretty nice interior....I'm from WI as well, I am tempted to drive mine during the winter, at least until heavy snow starts.. main concern in the MPSS tires which are rated at only 40 degrees F. I had cup2's originally and got rid of those fast...

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I am currently leasing a 2017 Camaro SS M/T that is my daily driver, and the lease is ending in a few weeks. Given how much used car prices have gone up, I can buy my lease out for $25k and realistically sell it for $34-35k. I love the SS but have had it for three years and the GT350 is something Iā€™ve had my eye on for awhile as kind of the next step up from what I have now. I test drove one recently and loved the exhaust and shifter.

The Voodoo engine definitely has a different feel than the LT1, as it feels less torquey at lower RPMs but likes to rev out a lot more than the LT1. The SS fees faster around town and from a stop, and Iā€™d guess the GT350 feels faster at speed when the revs are up. The exhaust note is incredible on the GT350 and would never get old hearing it. The GT350 also has a better feeling shifter.

One downside to me personally to the GT350 is that I used to have a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang Premium for 3 years prior to the Camaro, so everything else about the GT350 inside seems kind of old and familiar at this point, and it has fewer daily comforts than my old Mustang had. My Camaro is also the 2SS which has a nice interior and a lot of daily comforts like heated steering wheel and ventilated seats.

Anyway, a decent used GT350 is probably $45-$50k right now, so at least $20k more than I can buy out my Camaro SS for. Iā€™m pretty torn about what to do but would love to hear anyone elseā€™s thoughts as to whether this really justifies the premium. Iā€™m not looking to track this or race, but I do value having a V8 RWD manual car that is fun to drive and is somewhat practical as a daily (likely ruling out a Corvette for that reason). Iā€™m also not interested in a Mustang GT as that seems too similar to what I had before and not really a big enough upgrade over what I have now for the money.
You can compare GT350 vs. SS2 with SS 1LE Track Performance Package(price around $51K). Otherwise there's no comparison, GT350 way superior car.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
O yeah! Where in WI?
That is odd. It means too much to drive it daily, but not enough that you take it out and abuse it on a track. lol

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
If you can get the Camaro for 25k I would go with that. Then youā€™re at least 20k cheaper than a gt350. You can still make so many upgrades to that and pocket the cash. The gt350 is a special car for sure but you already have a really great car too.
He's saying he'd make a profit from buying the car and selling it privately. I also leased a Ram Laramie and ended up buying it because it was worth more than the payoff.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.

well its not like there is a huge difference between the base Camaro and the high end Camaro either... same basic overall interior with better seats.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
In Wisconsin, but I've managed winters just fine with my Camaro SS with the right tires and obviously would need to do the same with the GT350. I don't have a long commute and the roads usually get cleaned up pretty quickly, and I always have the option to work from home anyway if conditions are bad.
A GT350 is not a good car to daily in Wisconsin.

The car is designed to carve up corners. It's not really the same ethos as your SS.

Part and parcel of that, the ground clearance (especially the front lip) is quite low, the tires are very wide and the car comes with summer compound tires, either MPSS or PSC2. Michelin says not to run the MPSS under 45Ā°F (IIRC) and I think the temp for the PSC2 is even higher. Neither should be used on slick wintery surfaces, and they shouldn't be driven on in freezing temps. They get too hard and they'll crack.

Would I daily a GT/EB/V6 in the winter? With a second set of wheels wrapped in snow tires, sure why not.

Would I do the same thing with a GT350? Absolutely not. Mine stays in the garage all winter, bar the odd dry day over 50Ā°.

ETA: one more thing to add to the pile. The GT350 runs 5W-50 oil and can be kind of cold-blooded. When cold, you get some piston slap in most cars due to the forged bottom end and the oil pressure is sky high. I think Ford recommends not to rev out the engine until the oil temp has hit 180 or 190Ā°F - and that can take quite a while. The car has an external oil cooler and on a nice cold day, you may not get the oil temp over 170. Even on a cool day (50Ā°F) I have driven probably 15 miles before the oil was fully warm.

If I *had* to drive my GT350 in winter for some reason, I would at bare minimum get a dedicated set of narrower wheels with snow tires and I'd switch the 5W-50 to 0W-40.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The car is designed to carve up corners. It's not really the same ethos as your SS.
That statement is 100% USDA certified grade-A horse-hocky.

For winter work just run 9 or 9.5 wide wheels regardless of platform and tire compounds to match usual and customary conditions.
Sponsored

Last edited: