Tune required after cat delete?

Simon.V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Does anyone know if a tune is required to safely run the mak cat delete? (Trying to keep my warranty)

Or would I be fine removing the 02 sensor CEL?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Does anyone know if a tune is required to safely run the mak cat delete? (Trying to keep my warranty)

Thanks!
You cannot remove the Cat Over temp Protection COT without a tune. It will run rich (less than optimal) which kinda negates the purpose of the cat deletes (adding power) to begin with... A tune does not necessarily delete your warranty. Research more.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
If you're really concerned about warranty, don't tune, and don't delete your cats. While it is very unlikely that a tune will cause an issue NA, it gives the dealer reason to be skeptical. Even if you need work and they eventually get it warranty approved, it'll be a major hassle to get there.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would start with a resonator delete (H/X-pipe) first, and then move onto doing something to the intake. Depending on what you want to do with the intake also depends on necessity of a tune. If you just want a dry filter, then you'll get a very small if any gain. But if you go with a CAI or even the Steeda closed box system, a tune is required, and some power gains will be noticeable.

Pulling the cats, well that's technically illegal for anything on the street.

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@Zinc03svt @BmacIL

If your already tuned do you need a revision if you remove the cats. I thought tuners cant do anything if you remove the cats or am I confusing CEL with fuel trims.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just asked my tuner this. I have the same question in regards to changing the lead pipes from catted to catless on mine. I don't think it would change the fuel trims, but I could be totally wrong.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
@Zinc03svt @BmacIL

If your already tuned do you need a revision if you remove the cats. I thought tuners cant do anything if you remove the cats or am I confusing CEL with fuel trims.
They can only do something if it is for offroad use only so you have to specify that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Simon.V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info everyone!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Re-tune not needed if you're switching from catted headers to catless lead pipes. Just got my response this morning.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Damn so basically if I uninstall my hi flo cats and remove the insides I would need a retune. I guess I can’t do that today

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
Damn so basically if I uninstall my hi flo cats and remove the insides I would need a retune. I guess I can’t do that today
It would probably be best to to datalog everything to see if everything is all good. I've read that the ECU adapts but then again I can't say for sure. Judging by your mods listed I wouldn't take any chances.

Rather then making a new thread, I plan on doing a cat delete. Would it be better to do the cat delete before the tune or after the tune? I asked my future tuner this question and they legally said they couldn't respond to that question lol.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The only thing a tuner does for a cat delete is turn off cat protection. Nothing else in the tune needs to be touched.

I'm not sure if the EPA considers cat protection part of the emissions system, if they do tuners won't be able to turn this off, the check engine light will turn on unless you fool the computer.
Sponsored