Tremec 3160 swap?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
But do we even know the 3160 is stronger / more durable / shifts easier / etc. than the MT-82D4? Some versions of the 3160 have low specs for torque capacity (although these also have a high numerical 1st gear which can weaken a transmission).
Very good question. I wonder if there are many GT350 and Mach 1 ow ears that have experienced trouble out of their 3160? There must be something going on, given that Calimer is now offering upgrades for it.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But do we even know the 3160 is stronger / more durable / shifts easier / etc. than the MT-82D4? Some versions of the 3160 have low specs for torque capacity (although these also have a high numerical 1st gear which can weaken a transmission).
https://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.pdf

if you're not ordering the Mustang-specific SKU you have a screw loose, or like pain. The Tremec shifts feel very different - like a bolt-action rifle. The MT82 is very 'detent' oriented. The Tremec doesn't fight back as hard for people who think yanking on the lever is the correct way to abuse shift forks.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
https://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.pdf

if you're not ordering the Mustang-specific SKU you have a screw loose, or like pain. The Tremec shifts feel very different - like a bolt-action rifle. The MT82 is very 'detent' oriented. The Tremec doesn't fight back as hard for people who think yanking on the lever is the correct way to abuse shift forks.
I drove and autocrossed Corvairs for years so your part about the screw loose may have some validity. ;) I also drove a Camaro with a Tremec for many years. Shifts felt more precise but some of that had to be from the direct-mount shifter (and the short-throw shifter I installed). Still, I have no complaints with my MT-82, maybe I got a good one?

I don't yank on the lever anymore (hmm. that doesn't sound right), even for track days it seems to end up better by being smooth. Ymmv....

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
So has anyone actually done this swap in a "19+ GT?

Massih408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT PP
Iā€™m interested in this too, anybody know of any threads on the cost of the swap?

Sponsored

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
Iā€™m interested in this too, anybody know of any threads on the cost of the swap?
I donā€™t think anyone has done it yet, Iā€™ve scoured the internet for information and canā€™t find anything. For the 19+ cars anyway

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Spikertg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just completed this swap with a track pack 3160 with the trans cooler and it was really straightforward, you don't get rev-matching unless your car has the plug for it though 19+ I needed a gt350 drive shaft, MMR trans cooler adapters to AN fitting (only if you get one with a cooler/pump) gt350 clutch/flywheel I used a Mcloud rxt for a gt350, gt350 slave and shifter stock or aftermarket the linkages are different so a GT shifter will not work. Besides that its plug and play same sensors/ connections.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just completed this swap with a track pack 3160 with the trans cooler and it was really straightforward, you don't get rev-matching unless your car has the plug for it though 19+ I needed a gt350 drive shaft, MMR trans cooler adapters to AN fitting (only if you get one with a cooler/pump) gt350 clutch/flywheel I used a Mcloud rxt for a gt350, gt350 slave and shifter stock or aftermarket the linkages are different so a GT shifter will not work. Besides that its plug and play same sensors/ connections.
Sounds like a tremendous amount of work! Howā€™s it performing for you? Would you do the swap again?

Sponsored

Spikertg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like a tremendous amount of work! Howā€™s it performing for you? Would you do the swap again?
I just posted a full thread with everything I needed and the cost. So far I love it and would do it again it feels amazing in shift feel and more like an early mt82 with 3.73 with closer gear ratios and when you hit the 3-4 shift you don't drop back you only drop around 1500 rpm from 2-5 gears and with 3.55 and 27.5 inch tall tires it'll still do over 180 in 5th

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
Awesome, been wondering when someone would get this done. For the downshift rev matching youā€™d have to have a ā€˜19+ car and get a 3160 from a Mach 1. The transmission has to have the internal sensor/magnet for the 6 pin connector to read for it to work.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just posted a full thread with everything I needed and the cost. So far I love it and would do it again it feels amazing in shift feel and more like an early mt82 with 3.73 with closer gear ratios and when you hit the 3-4 shift you don't drop back you only drop around 1500 rpm from 2-5 gears and with 3.55 and 27.5 inch tall tires it'll still do over 180 in 5th
Awesome! You had a plan and you implemented it successfully. Well done!

It would be nice to see how much you would pull on a similarly modded 2018 GT with an MT82-D4.

Spikertg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Awesome! You had a plan and you implemented it successfully. Well done!

It would be nice to see how much you would pull on a similarly modded 2018 GT with an MT82-D4.
I have done that had a car I was always door to door with but in the D4 when Iā€™d hit 4th would drop back but not anymore I keep pulling about a car and a half, since In the 3160 5th is 1to1 4th is now essentially a gear in between 3rd and 4th in the d4
Sponsored