Sponsored

Tremec 6070 Swap

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
So, I'm thinking about swapping the C7 vette's T6070 7-speed trans into my GT PP. The added top end gearing would be great for highway cruising, while still retaining the benefit of 3.73's.

My question is the feasibility, and also what's required. I believe the rev matching feature only has to do with proximity (for gear location) on the shifter, so disabling it should be a breeze. I'd imagine a bell housing and custom shaft would be all that's need so long as the shifter lines up, correct?
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
There are a lot of questions to be asked when you swap any transmission into any car.

-How's the ratio spread? Is it wider or closer? Better for lower or higher-RPM engines?
-Will you need a custom clutch? The diameter and tooth count of the Tremec inpuit shaft may be different. Pressure plate may be too big or small for bellhousing.
-Will you need a new pilot bearing? Again, it comes down to the input shaft.
-Speed sensor? Tranny or axle-mounted? Tooth count, signal type, and connector type if tranny-mounted?
-Shifter location? How much fab work will it take to put the Tremec's shifter in the new car?
-Clutch disengagement? Is it a mechanically or hydraulically-actuated clutch? If Mechanical, how are you going to adapt it to the car? If hydraulic, how are you going to adapt it to the tranny?
-Space?
-Mounting?
-Need for a custom driveshaft or U-Joints?
-Serviceability?
-Weight?
-Torque limits? Can it handle the Mustang's extra weight?
-Bellhousing bolt patterns?
-Price/availability?
-Starter bolt pattern?
-Backplate for the block so the flywheel isn't exposed to the elements?

All of these factors and then some all contribute to whether or not you can swap in a different tranny. Do the research, as it most likely has not been done yet. With enough time and money it could be done in theory.

OP
OP
pinero61

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
There are a lot of questions to be asked when you swap any transmission into any car.

-How's the ratio spread? Is it wider or closer? Better for lower or higher-RPM engines?
-Will you need a custom clutch? The diameter and tooth count of the Tremec inpuit shaft may be different. Pressure plate may be too big or small for bellhousing.
-Will you need a new pilot bearing? Again, it comes down to the input shaft.
-Speed sensor? Tranny or axle-mounted? Tooth count, signal type, and connector type if tranny-mounted?
-Shifter location? How much fab work will it take to put the Tremec's shifter in the new car?
-Clutch disengagement? Is it a mechanically or hydraulically-actuated clutch? If Mechanical, how are you going to adapt it to the car? If hydraulic, how are you going to adapt it to the tranny?
-Space?
-Mounting?
-Need for a custom driveshaft or U-Joints?
-Serviceability?
-Weight?
-Torque limits? Can it handle the Mustang's extra weight?
-Bellhousing bolt patterns?
-Price/availability?
-Starter bolt pattern?
-Backplate for the block so the flywheel isn't exposed to the elements?

All of these factors and then some all contribute to whether or not you can swap in a different tranny. Do the research, as it most likely has not been done yet. With enough time and money it could be done in theory.
Well being that a tremec 6060 is a direct swap I'm hoping that the 6070 is built in similar fashion. I will contact Tremec for more details, as they are offering it as a stand alone transmission with 3 different ratio spreads.

Also speed sensors on newer cars are taken from the wheel hubs, not trans or axle.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Well being that a tremec 6060 is a direct swap I'm hoping that the 6070 is built in similar fashion. I will contact Tremec for more details, as they are offering it as a stand alone transmission with 3 different ratio spreads.

Also speed sensors on newer cars are taken from the wheel hubs, not trans or axle.
Just as long as you do the research. What I listed above is just a general guideline for just about any car. While yes a T-6070 is basically a T-6060 with another overdrive gear, there can be other minor differences that can cause a major unforeseen headache.

Did I mention research? :headbonk:

OP
OP
pinero61

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Just as long as you do the research. What I listed above is just a general guideline for just about any car. While yes a T-6070 is basically a T-6060 with another overdrive gear, there can be other minor differences that can cause a major unforeseen headache.

Did I mention research? :headbonk:
Lol, I get you. I just posted this as feeler. I'm not going to go into this half-cocked, so I'll keep you updated on what i find.

Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Lol, I get you. I just posted this as feeler. I'm not going to go into this half-cocked, so I'll keep you updated on what i find.
I'm pretty sure that there are some here that will love to hear what you have to find. Just giving you a taste of what you're in for, as I've been down this path choosing a tranny for the 302 swap in the Ranger.

OP
OP
pinero61

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Here are the specs regarding the trans. Anybody have anything similar for the MT-82?

TREMEC TR-6070 Transmission Specifications
Type: Rear wheel drive, seven-speed manual overdrive transmission
Maximum gross vehicle weight:* 2,400 kg (5,291 lb) *For reference only. Not applicable to a specific application
Case: Die-cast aluminum alloy
Center distance: 85 mm
Overall length: 782 mm
Clutch housing: Integrated
Synchronizer type: Double and triple cone; hybrid friction material
Lubricant type: Dexron III ATF
Lubricant capacity (approximate): 3.5 L (7.4 pt)
Transmission weight: Wet: 65.2 kg (143.75 lb)
Power take off: No
Available Gear Ratios
Alternative ratios available upon request; may
result in different maximum input torque
Gear A B C
1 2.97 2.66 2.29
2 2.07 1.78 1.61
3 1.43 1.30 1.21
4 1.00 1.00 1.00
5 0.71 0.74 0.82
6 0.57 0.50 0.68
7 0.48 0.42 0.45
R 2.85 2.53 2.70

Of Wolf and Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
That is a lot of overdrive gears! I expected it to be a close ratio Trans with an extra OD gear, but it is more like a 5 speed with 2 extra OD gears. Personally I would want gear ratios like the close ratios our MT-82 + an extra OD.

05yellowgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Gearset B is the same as a viper spec t56 or newer gt500's plus the 0.42 7th gear. You would realistically need at a minimum a 4.56 gear to be able to make any use of that 7th gear. I had a viper spec t56 in my car for a while. With a 27" tire and a 4.30 gear I would run 1870rpm @70mph in 6th gear. With a 0.42 you will only be turning about 1580rpm with the 4.30 gear. If you ran a 3.73 you would be turning UNDER 1400rpm @70mph.

A 4.56 would get you to about 1675rpm and a 4.88 would be 1785rpm

It's an interest swap, but you couldn't fear the gear to make 7th usable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinero61

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
As it looks, option c would be the viable gear box for those who want to run FI, as the input tq is rated in the mid 600's.

I'm running 3.73's, and as you say I would barely turn any rpms in 7th @ 70.

Sponsored

05yellowgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Not a good idea with only a 3.73 gear. Look at the 1st gear ratio, it's only 2.29. It will be a dog out of the hole, FI or no FI. Going from the mt82 1st gear ratio of 3.66 you'd have an effective ratio going from 13.66 down to 8.5. It would be it would be worse than launching your car as it stands in 2nd gear instead of 1st. To get close to the stock effective ratio in 1st you'd have to run a 5.88 gear and you'd still fall short.

OP
OP
pinero61

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I'm meant viable only in terms of torque handling. What's the vette running? 4.10

I want a trans that's geared slightly higher than the MT-82. I'm going to look into the 6060 viper spec.

05yellowgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Torque specs can be misleading. You have to look at the weight of the vehicle AND the torque spec. Terence is likely rating the 6070 with a vehicle weight much higher than either the vette or the mustang.

B-Fox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
F-350 Scorpion
At first glance those ratios are screaming for at least a 4.10 gear, My FRPP T5 with 2.95 first worked great with 4.10's in a fox body, 1.6 60ft on a 225 Yokohama street tire. 13.9s 1/4 on a stock motor.

05yellowgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
The people to talk to are the guys at D&D performance. They have direct lines to Tremec and know as much about their transmissions as anyone out there. They can also help you do a custom swap kit for whatever you choose.
Sponsored