Tire recommendation for HPDE

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
And to answer @Shadow277 about 275 all around, you would ideally want a larger front wheel. Stick with 255 on the 9 inch width.

Based on your usage from an earlier post, the factory sizes would be just fine. I ran two years of autocross on my 19x8.5 wheels with the 255 A/S just fine. Not fast, but it worked and I learned (a little) before getting summer wheels/tires for this year. Use what you have until you know you need more.

That said, the 255 on the rear 9.5 is not ideal. That’s a frustrating response from the tire shop.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Premium wheels are 19x9 and 19x9.5 so could I do 275s on all 4 corners? My profile is at 40 and not 35 so I am not sure how much of a feed back or handling difference I could get.
9" is the minimum recommended wheel width for 275/40 (any diameter). So yes, it's still legitimately do-able.

That said, minimum-recommended fitments are not the hot tip for cornering-intensive driving. Though as a zero-previous-experience newbie to HPDE that's not going to matter. Not nearly as much as the things you'll be learning about your part in what it takes to do your part as a track day driver.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That said, the 255 on the rear 9.5 is not ideal. That’s a frustrating response from the tire shop.
Actually, 255/xx on 9.5" is a pretty good combination if you're starting with that tire size and then choosing wheels. Max-recommended fitments generally improve things like turn-in response and steering precision and help you get the most out of a particular tire size.

What a 255/xx in the rear isn't so good for is when you've got a lot of wheel torque available like you do with a GT when you're in the lower gears. Or just because the car might be heavy.

Norm

Last edited:

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Yeah this ^^^

It's ridiculous that Firestone would not put 275s on those wheels, especially the back as that is the oem size. They probably looked at the fact that the original size for your vehicle was not those and wanted to stick with it.

Nice guard machine :sunglasses:
Thanks. I feel like this color is underrated. It's rare.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9" is the minimum recommended wheel width for 275/40 (any diameter). So yes, it's still legitimately do-able.

That said, minimum-recommended fitments are not the hot tip for cornering-intensive driving. Though as a zero-previous-experience newbie to HPDE that's not going to matter. Not nearly as much as the things you'll be learning about your part in what it takes to do your part as a track day driver.

Norm
So is 255/275 a good set up as a weekend car with occasional track time? I do like driving in the canyon too.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That said, the 255 on the rear 9.5 is not ideal.
one of the 2021 trims is being supplied 255 on front 9.5. I noticed in passing reading one of the order books. assuming it wasn't yet another miss-print.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
That and they are also dominated by those jackasses that are trying to set lap records amongst 20 other dudes on the track at the same time, and they won't let any other car get in their way or slow them down in their end goal.
The fault lay squarely with the event organizers.
it’s why rules and the black flag are for

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So is 255/275 a good set up as a weekend car with occasional track time? I do like driving in the canyon too.
honestly a 275/275 would probably handle better, even tho the 275 is slightly wide for the 9” front wheel. How well it worksmay depend on the tire model being used.

one noteworthy advantage to runnng a.square tire setup (even on staggered wheels) is you have the option of dismounting the tires mid-life and rotating them front/back to get a longer life and more even wear. This is especially true when tracking them once and a while with stockish camber, because your wear patterns with stock camber are going to be non-optimal, and rotating the tires once helps.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
honestly a 275/275 would probably handle better, even tho the 275 is slightly wide for the 9” front wheel. How well it worksmay depend on the tire model being used.
It's great but you need to find a tire with stiff sidewall and also to go 275/35 to limit the flex in the sidewall of the fact that is mounted on a 9" wheel. I'm really happy with my 275/35 square setup but I look into buying some Apex wheels and going 295/30 or 305/30 square for my track setup.

Something else is a 285/35 on square rear PP wheels with 5 mm spacers.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's great but you need to find a tire with stiff sidewall and also to go 275/35 to limit the flex in the sidewall of the fact that is mounted on a 9" wheel. I'm really happy with my 275/35 square setup but I look into buying some Apex wheels and going 295/30 or 305/30 square for my track setup.

Something else is a 285/35 on square rear PP wheels with 5 mm spacers.
The purpose of a low tire profile is for handling, right? It also increases feedback?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It'll work, though if "occasional track time" means more than once or twice a year I'd expect you to outgrow that combination at some point.

Compared to a 'square' tire setup on those staggered-width wheels, you'd probably have marginally crisper turn-in, in exchange for slightly heavier understeer as you approach your car's limits. Which you may not be getting as close to as you think on the street - even in your canyon running.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The purpose of a low tire profile is for handling, right? It also increases feedback?
Among other effects.

Think of tire lateral stiffness as being the last "spring" in the path between the steering wheel and the contact patches of the wheels that steer. Left "soft", everything that's happening at the contact patches feels a bit vague at your end, and response at the tire treads to your steering inputs isn't quite as sharp.

Norm

Tellme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I bought some 6gr wheels in 19x11F-19x11.5R.

Did not realize that I'd be super limited in tire options. Now the only reasonably priced tires I can get are Ventus V12 Evo2 and Conti ExtremeContact Sports for about 1.1-1.2k. Other than that it's PSC-2 for about 1.6k. Anyone have any friendly recommendations.