Tire recommendation for HPDE

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'm starting to think about and plan for the sunny months here in the PNW, and one of the things I want to do this year is participate in some HPDE days with my car. I've watched the video one of our members posted about how to prepare for your first track day and am looking at other forums about preparing for HPDEs as well. The question I have for this group is about tires. I recently bought new wheels (19x10,11) and wrapped them with Nitto 555G2s. I've seen mixed reviews about using these tires in a track environment, which has me a little concerned. My other option would be to get new tires for my OEM PP wheels, which are currently spares. So the question is this, do I run 275/305 Nittos, or 255/275 other (PS4S or something of the like). A note about me, I will likely not be pushing my car to the limit, I plan to do HPDEs once a month and slowly push myself and the car as I learn and feel more comfortable.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you just want to putt around in novice groups and just have fun, what you have now will be fine.

If you want to actually drive the car to its relative potential and get better as a driver, you need something better. The P4S is a good tire for your needs, but IMO it's a bit expensive especially when you're going to destroy it on the track.

3 cheaper tires to consider that will perform just as well if not better are the Continental DW, Federal 595RS-PRO and the Hankook RS4 (with the later being the best performing overall while still lasting along time and be able to drive it on the street).

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Regardless of the tire brand, you first need to address the extreme ( on a track) understeer issue by running a square set up
Don’t fall for the wider rear and narrower front stance

OP
OP
rileythemustangguy

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Regardless of the tire brand, you first need to address the extreme ( on a track) understeer issue by running a square set up
I hadn't read about this yet, I'll have to look into this. Thank you!

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I hadn't read about this yet, I'll have to look into this. Thank you!
The easiest way to run a square set up it’s either to run 285/35/19 on a 19” wheel with 35mm offset or running rear pp1 wheel in the front with a 5mm spacer and 275 tires all around

Sponsored

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I run square 275/35/19 and have used PS4's, R888R's, and federal 595's. For the money I like the federals the best. They last a good while and cost about half of what the R888R's cost. You will need to add some negative camber on the front if you have not yet, as running on a track will eat the outside edge of your tires pretty quick on these heavy cars.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you're a novice, your goal should be learning as a driver and staying safe. Don't worry about optimizing for vehicle hardware or car setup (aside from a thorough inspection and fresh brake fluid if your last flush was a while ago). Chances are your first time out you won't be pushing the limits of the car very hard, and expanding those limits isn't necessarily going to translate to how quickly the driver improves.

If you've done a few events and think you're 'hooked' on spending your weekends and wallet this way, then that's a good time to start thinking about dedicating a set of wheels & tires, brake pads, safety equipment, datalogging gear, and general stuff to make your weekend at the track more productive.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I second the Federal 595 RSRR or RSPRO (I haven't personally used the PRO yet, but hear they are very similar, just quieter). Best bang for the buck tire for street/track driving. Unfortunatly don't come larger than a 275/35/19, but they seemed wide for a 275 on 10" wheels.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Unfortunatly don't come larger than a 275/35/19, but they seemed wide for a 275 on 10" wheels.
They run super wide, that size is closer to a 285/295 and fit well on common 10" wheels. IMO that's perfect for a beginning driver who doesn't need to maximize grip and have to go through all the stuff to fit 305+ in the front.

OP
OP
rileythemustangguy

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
If you're a novice, your goal should be learning as a driver and staying safe. Don't worry about optimizing for vehicle hardware or car setup (aside from a thorough inspection and fresh brake fluid if your last flush was a while ago). Chances are your first time out you won't be pushing the limits of the car very hard, and expanding those limits isn't necessarily going to translate to how quickly the driver improves.

If you've done a few events and think you're 'hooked' on spending your weekends and wallet this way, then that's a good time to start thinking about dedicating a set of wheels & tires, brake pads, safety equipment, datalogging gear, and general stuff to make your weekend at the track more productive.
See my thoughts were along these lines. I've never been on a track before, and my goals for this year consist of:

- Learn how to drive on a track
- Get comfortable driving on a track with traffic
- Be safe rather than go fast
- Have fun with my car

I was just more unsure of with my current set up, would my car be safe in a track environment, or would I need to make changes before getting out on the track?

Sounds like I'm okay with my current setup for awhile, and if I decide to get serious with it then begin the track upgrades.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
See my thoughts were along these lines. I've never been on a track before, and my goals for this year consist of:

- Learn how to drive on a track
- Get comfortable driving on a track with traffic
- Be safe rather than go fast
- Have fun with my car

I was just more unsure of with my current set up, would my car be safe in a track environment, or would I need to make changes before getting out on the track?

Sounds like I'm okay with my current setup for awhile, and if I decide to get serious with it then begin the track upgrades.
the PP is pretty much good to go. You may or may not like those tires on track but I wouldn’t change them without giving them a go first. Flush the brake fluid and check your brake pad and tire tread thickness... that’s about it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
the PP is pretty much good to go. You may or may not like those tires on track but I wouldn’t change them without giving them a go first. Flush the brake fluid and check your brake pad and tire tread thickness... that’s about it.
Agree.

Drive the car that you're already somewhat familiar with. You'll be busy enough learning about other things, don't add learning a somewhat different car to the mix. You'll likely have a better idea yourself about what the car wants for your track time after driving it there (beats anybody trying to guess what you're going to prefer).

Norm

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you just want to putt around in novice groups and just have fun, what you have now will be fine.

If you want to actually drive the car to its relative potential and get better as a driver, you need something better. The P4S is a good tire for your needs, but IMO it's a bit expensive especially when you're going to destroy it on the track.

3 cheaper tires to consider that will perform just as well if not better are the Continental DW, Federal 595RS-PRO and the Hankook RS4 (with the later being the best performing overall while still lasting along time and be able to drive it on the street).
Part of the questions is how serious you are about performance.
Do you just want trackable street tires, e.g. the tires get driven mostly on the street, or streetable track tires, or dedicated track tires.

The best tires varies with budget, and if:
1 - The tires spend most of their life on the street.
2 - You change to your "track" tires, then drive to the track (how far?).
3- You carry the tires, and change them at the track little to no street miles.

For the latter, real race tires and supper sticky R compounds (can be inexpesive take offs) are an option - probably not great for a novice. For #2 short distance or some mix between 2 & 3, the streetable R compound (with some actual water shedding tread) becomes an option.

But yeah, I would do a couple events with what you have. But come prepared to rotate tires or you might kill your outside front tires in a single event if you push hard.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Can you explain this one to me? I heard Porsche's can use 255 in front and 305 in the back out of the box.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Which track were you thinkin of running? I have run Pacific Raceways several times with the Mustangs Northwest Roundup in July and also the Ridge. I have never run a true track performing tire but I do have the Nitto NT555 G2 tires and I once they get good and hot they do perform good. That said, it is damn hard to keep up to those running better tires on the same car.
Sponsored