Cup 2 track day tire life or another tire for Hpde?

Discussion in 'Road Course, Track, Autocross, HPDE' started by NeverSatisfied, Apr 26, 2020.

1. JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
    0   0   0
    I have not run the Supercar 3Rs on my car, only the Supercar 3s. However, I would imagine you would still be aiming for the same hot pressure of 35, starting around 28. If I remember correctly from my PP2 this was the same hot pressure as you would aim for on the Cup2s.

2. Mountain376

Mountain376 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Actually, having spent considerable time on both tires, although not the same vehicle, I disagree: the Supercar 3 has higher grip than the RS4 - a faster lap time potential. SC3 has similar endurance to the RS4. The RS4 is better on a wet track and more longevity due to tread depth/tread design.

3. JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
    0   0   0
    Interesting that you thought the Supercar had better grip than the RS4. Quite a few 1LE guys are using the RS4 in a square 305 setup and reporting quicker times. I for one will be sticking with the Supercars because I like the way they feel, both on track and in autocross.

4. Mountain376

Mountain376 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    If you just look at various people's lap times you could assume that. Really, you need to look at someone who has changed just basically tires and seen a significant drop in time at the same track. With that, because the RS4 has good endurance and durability, you will see a lot of competitive people (i.e. Time Trials) jump to 19's and just run them or the RE71R (remember, a lot of people assume "aftermarket" tires are always better than OE anyway) - you can't use that as a data point for the tire though unless that driver has been to the same track and on the Goodyears. I've heard and seen the RE71R's put down notably faster laps than the OE SC3, but not the RS4. In fact, I've read and/or talked to other Camaro SS 1LE guys trying out a variety of different tires and stating they don't feel the RS4 has anything over the SC3 but more longevity either.

TireRack is always a good source as a rough barometer - they just completed their 2020 Extreme Performance tire test on the RE71R, RT660, SC3 and A052... take a look at that and compare it to the tests done on the RS4 related to the RE71R...

5. Flyhalf

Flyhalf Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alessandro
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1
    0   0   0
    https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/the-tire-thread-tires-info.15622/

Hey
    I only track the car
    I had tried 7 different compound so far.
    Please take a look of the thread i made.
    My best to go now is 3R. But I'm looking for fastest option not about wearing.
    3-4 track events if you rotate them.

If you can fit a 18
    Then i would say A052 yoko. Very fast and wear very well. (At least 7-8 days)
    Nt01 is great for beginners and wear well

Last
    I did a test same day with 3R vs cup2.
    3R are superior. :)

Hope this help
    Alex

2morrow, c_reber and shogun32 like this.
  6. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
    Garage Profiles:
    Software Engineer
    0   0   0