Sponsored

Tips for dealing with road rage?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I get pretty bad road rage when I'm in my stang and people mess with me like cut me off or speed up by me and merge inches in front of me without signaling and one time I had this idiot kid in a civic try to play "chicken" with me by coming in my lane and driving head on at me!

I've gotten so pissed off sometimes I lost control of myself and tried to chase them down.

In general I've had a lot of problems with emotional control and regulation and impulse control, but I've been working on that. Practicing Stoicism to not let my thoughts and feelings and idiots affect my actions.

What do you guys recommend? And yes I do see a therapist
It wouldnā€™t ordinarily be our place to comment or judge, but since you asked I suppose itā€™s open season. Iā€™d suggest a new therapist that perhaps has the ability to prescribe meds before someone gets hurt. This is not a Mustang problem or a car problem, even though thatā€™s one area where the real issue might manifest itself. Clearly itā€™s a greater mental health issue and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s solvable in the context of a car forum.
Sponsored

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Man, it seems like everywhere I go, every swinging dick wants to race me. And we're not just talking Challengers and Camaros. It's Hondas, Nissans, etc. Hell, I had a Prius speed up around me (I'm doing 5 over on the interstate) and then cut me off and slow down. I normally don't engage. 1) I don't really want to get to work any faster. and 2) what am I going to prove? That my GT350 is faster than your 2009 Nissan Altima SE?

I generally just put on some nice soothing music and enjoy the drive.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
No 5.0 Badges, stock GT calipers, quiet mode, ecoboost pony pack decklid, driving with flow of traffic seem to keep people off me. They may go up close but then go meh.... then leave

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
One of my friends who had this problem considered every possible normal traffic maneuver as a personal slight against him.

people are allowed to ā€œcut you offā€ and to pass you. Youā€™re going to need to see those traffic moves as normal and appreciate that they arenā€™t doing anything versus you, theyā€™re just doing their thing.

assume they are all on their way to something important like the hospital or something like that which you coulld accept as a valid reason.

another good idea is to stop driving in the fast lane. Go drive slow with traffic in the slow lane. If you can do that youā€™ll calm down. Its worth the extra couple minutes of travel time to correct your emotional and physical health.
Some good points you made but at least 50% of the time that I decide that ā€œIā€™m going easy today , slow lane only because I only have a few points left on my licenceā€ I find that the drivers in the left lane(slow lane in Australia) constantly brake for no reason and drive way under the speed limit which makes me more frustrated than if I drove in my normal fashion with the odd idiot trying to race me in their Civic

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Some good points you made but at least 50% of the time that I decide that ā€œIā€™m going easy today , slow lane only because I only have a few points left on my licenceā€ I find that the drivers in the left lane constantly brake for no reason and drive way under the speed limit which makes me more frustrated than if I drove in my normal fashion with the odd idiot trying to race me in their Civic
well the consistent thing between you losing your shit in the fast lane and you losing your shit in the slow lane is you.

The only thing you can control is your own reaction. Plenty of people seem to get by just fine in the slow lane without going all road rage. Be like them for a while, its good for you.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I get pretty bad road rage when I'm in my stang and people mess with me like cut me off or speed up by me and merge inches in front of me without signaling and one time I had this idiot kid in a civic try to play "chicken" with me by coming in my lane and driving head on at me!

I've gotten so pissed off sometimes I lost control of myself and tried to chase them down.

In general I've had a lot of problems with emotional control and regulation and impulse control, but I've been working on that. Practicing Stoicism to not let my thoughts and feelings and idiots affect my actions.

Ask your therapist what he/she thinks about soliciting advice from anonymous Mustang owners on the internet. Especially since your car is the locus of your problem.

If I was an alcoholic I sure as shit wouldn't be in the bar asking for advice.

That said, you may need to cultivate some actual human relationships. People who may just care if you end up dead or in prison. If you are a young man (you come across this way) you also possess undeveloped prefontal lobes leading to poor emotional responses. Time should take care of that.

Then again sometimes people have to learn the hard way. A crash, a beating, an arrest.

Of course some people never learn, hope you're not one of those folks.

You have a '22? Nice! If you wreck be sure to part it out in the forums.

Good luck.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Start your morning off by reading south Florida news and a new article several times a week about people getting shot/killed in road rage incidents. That will calm you down.

I used to be hot headed behind the wheel when I was a lot younger. Finally realized I was just as much of the problem when I reacted and flipped people off, rolled the window down to start yelling, started driving aggressively, etc.

My life is more important than that, and I am content in knowing Iā€™m not an incompetent idiot. I still get mad, and I still talk shit, but only out loud to myself and anyone in the car listening šŸ˜

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Lately, thereā€™s a lot of keyboard ignorance going on in here and the MODs or site owners on here need to do a M6G cleansing of ignorant users,

***snip a rant***

Some of you need to head this advice:
ā€œDon't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.ā€
Who's to judge what's ignorant and needs cleansing? You volunteering? Anybody in here need protecting from off-color comments there's always an ignore button.

Look, Mr Road Rage already has a therapist who is paid to talk nice, and while I certainly wouldn't be in a forum airing my shit you don't know which comment will cause the light bulb to switch on.

I learned a hell of a lot by people straight up telling me when I was acting crazy.

Reactions: N17

N17

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350, 2018 Macan T , 2021 Ram 1500, 2015 R8
Great response - and the most important part of your response is your first paragraph.

Lately, thereā€™s a lot of keyboard ignorance going on in here and the MODs or site owners on here need to do a M6G cleansing of ignorant users, because Iā€™m getting sick of seeing the negativity in the responses to users seeking help be it tech or not, seeking info for XYZ situations, the personal attacks, and thread starters or newcomers who get the ā€œuse the searchā€.

It doesnā€™t matter how ā€œsillyā€ a question may be, or what the person is asking. The OP is reaching out to inquire how any one of us would handle Situation-X. The OP also said in his last sentence there is personal awareness that their reaction may not be the best choice on how to deal with Situation-X, and they ARE currently seeking true professional help/advice.

So then we get a bunch of folks responding with ignorance towards the OP? SERIOUSLY? Do some of you treat your own family, friends or someone you care about in the same manner if THEY were seeking assistance, no matter how ā€œsillyā€ or ā€œridiculousā€ it may be to YOU?

Not one of you, including myself, knows the OPā€™s situation, personal well being or why they may be asking for help with dealing with Situation-X. They might be going through tough times. The OP might not have anyone close enough to assist with dealing with Situation-X. The OP might be getting advice to ask such questions of others to understand how others react to XYZ situations. The OP may have had a tragedy and is using this forum or others like it to help deal with stress levels, feelings or just getting needed advice aside from Professional advice.

Some of the responses towards the OP is just ignorant. Not everyone deals with or is able to deal with Situation-X like you, or me, or whomever else. To tell the OP to go get a Miata, or that the problem is them, or that they are weak for seeking Professional help - is uncalled for, especially after seeing OPā€™s last sentence.

When someone, anyone, clearly states that they are already seeking professional help/guidance regardless of how ā€œgodlyā€ or ā€œbetterā€ any of YOU think you are, at the least think about your written response before typing it or DONā€™T respond at all.

Isnā€™t there enough freakin bullying/negativity/judge-mental BS towards your fellow man/woman/child going on over on your Facecrap, TIKCrap, Instacrap and insert other like-Social Media craptastic sites?

Keep such ignorance off this site, itā€™s not welcome here.

As for the OP, I too applaud their post; itā€™s not easy for anyone to admit they may have a problem dealing with Situation-X OR seeking Professional help for it. People like yourself prove that youā€™re stronger than the ignorance in this world today.

Some of you need to head this advice:
ā€œDon't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.ā€

WTF is this BS.
Letā€™s all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I feel bullied by your comments, I demand you be banned for 20 years, so you can think about your actions here today. (Joking of course)

If the OP gets all out of shape by someone merging in front him he has bigger problems than anyone here can help with and obviously is current professional help is not working. I do hope he gets the help he needs before he gets hurt or hurts someone else.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
WTF is this BS.
Letā€™s all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I feel bullied by your comments, I demand you be banned for 20 years, so you can think about your actions here today. (Joking of course)

If the OP gets all out of shape by someone merging in front him he has bigger problems than anyone here can help with and obviously is current professional help is not working. I do hope he gets the help he needs before he gets hurt or hurts someone else.
that is an infant coddled to adulthood soaked in weakness and entitlement who is so pathetic they think the weak (and by that i mean lacking in fortitude) moderators on this forum aren't enough to placate the infantile sensibilities of someone who probably has pronouns in their twitter bio.

Reactions: N17

Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)

This happens often these days unfortunately, we are all being placed under tremendous pressure, especially in the last few years, your not alone!

Research Wim Hof on Ytub, his relaxing methods work really well for controlling emotions and relaxing our busy minds!
Highly recommend for everyone!
Good luck!

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I used to get bothered by things like this, but at the end of the day engaging is only making the issue worse.

when people do stupid things, if you let them drive off they are literally driving the issue away from you.

Usually I canā€™t engage, Iā€™m not going to make risky moves in traffic because someone pissed me off. Thatā€™s choosing to put my life in danger because of what someone else did, thatā€™s them winning in some aspect lol.

Even when I can engage, I just donā€™t care any more. Why should I waste my energy getting mad at someone who has clearly demonstrated that they are an idiot?

More, it is literally easier to not engage, allowing them to drive off ends the problem instantly, following people, chasing them down, that only prolongs the issue and the associated stress. If you were to catch them what would you do? Yell? Call the cops? Canā€™t call the police because you chased them down then youā€™re in trouble too. Canā€™t physically touch them, thatā€™s assault. At the end of the day thereā€™s nothing you can do that wonā€™t get you in trouble too.

At the end of the day I know anger issues are complex, Iā€™m thankful not to have them (unfortunately I have a multitude of other issues lmao). Iā€™d second the advice to talk to your therapist about this specific post, it could be a good conversation. If you continue to work on your problems and confront them you will succeed. The honesty and openness of this post does bode well, it shows you recognize and are working on the issue. Thatā€™s good.

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
Another thought is not to attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Seems to me that in the vast majority of negative on-road encounters, the other driver was simply inattentive or careless. I've lost count of the number of near collisions I've avoided when the other driver was holding a phone.

Doesn't apply to things like deliberate brake checking, of course. For this, the other driver should be reported as a reckless / possibly impaired driver if possible to do safely.
Sponsored