Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Of course you don't .... why would I expect any other answer.
Public parking lot, private citizen, that you do not know, not a public figure.

A private citizen has every right to privacy. You do not have carte blanche to film them. Myself included, you're a nobody.

Why were you taking his picture for what purpose? It is obvious you were treading on thin ice. And thought this was your weapon and way to intimidate .
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Of course you don't .... why would I expect any other answer.
Public parking lot, private citizen, that you do not know, not a public figure.

A private citizen has every right to privacy. You do not have carte blanche to film them. Myself included, you're a nobody.

Why were you taking his picture for what purpose? It is obvious you were treading on thin ice. And thought this was your weapon and way to intimidate .
Lol - hardly. I’m a nobody and you’re a nobody AKA both “private citizens”, in public.

I took video because I thought he was going to try to vandalize my vehicle or get physical with me (what other reason does someone approach you for no reason and stir shit up?). Furthermore, I wasn’t trying to intimidate him. If I were trying to intimidate someone approaching me, it wouldn’t be by me filming them.

It doesn’t look good if a 32 year old ends up in ANY type of confrontation with a 70 year old, who, based on this guy’s mental state, would’ve probably swung and claimed I attacked him for no reason.

Again - guy yells at me, I drive off. I park, he approaches MY vehicle and starts engaging me for no reason and then starts closing in on me, as I am still sitting in my vehicle. I don’t see where it’s out of line to record someone based on that.

There’s no treading on thin ice. It’s 100% legal to video someone without consent in a public area. If he was on his property, different story but you nor myself can stop someone from filming us in public based on it being illegal. If I was doing it to intimidate him or make a spectacle of it, I would’ve posted the video on here. I’m not a jackass and have more sense than that.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
That's...not how it works. You can legally record anything and anyone in a public space. The only proviso being that the person being recorded can't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy". I don't think any reasonable person believes they have privacy in an open parking lot. Another fun fact, the person creating the image owns the copyright to that image. You don't need "permission" to use it. The only exceptions to this are:

National security (I don't think this guy was a Secret Agent)

Protection of minors (not unless he was Benjamin Button)

Protection of privacy (I can't legally take a picture of you in your home/other private venue)

None of these apply. Get over yourself.
This is worth quoting because anyone threatening to destroy the recording device or harm the recording person should probably not trusted in the public anyway. Or maybe this threat is just a case of another internet tough guy...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
So, a senior gentlemen tried to pick a fight with me today at the grocery store. I think he must’ve been off his meds and had a lot of pent up quarantine frustration... or maybe he’s just always an a-hole.

I was driving my Jeep and as I’m driving through the parking lot, I slow to let this guy cross. He’s staring at me the entire time and mouthing off and making the “I’m not worthy” worship motion. I had my windows down and as I passed him, I slowed down and said “yes sir?”. He starts ranting about all the noise I’m making and how I must be a real tough guy because I drive a big, loud Jeep.

I said “oook, have a good day” and pulled off. As I pull into my parking spot, this guy walks up and infront of me. Jeep is still running because I don’t know this guy’s intent. I started filming him because again, you never know and if some crap shook loose I need proof of what occurred.

So he continues ranting about all the noise and is pointing at the snorkel on the Jeep going “c’mon, c’mon, really, is that necessary, what is that?” And then proceeded to tell me it (the snorkel) was making too much noise and that I’m “a punk” and he “has kids my age”. My response “OK...”.

He walks around to my door and I started to get pissed. I turned myself toward him in case he pulled some stupid crap and he said “you want to arm wrestle? Let me show you what this 70 year old man is made of... c’mon, TRY ME”. My response was asking him what his issue was and that I didn’t want to fight him. This guy is 38 years older than me, trying to pick a fight in a grocery store parking lot over my Jeep being too loud and apparently too big?

He continued to mouth off. I got out as I felt incredibly cornered sitting in the Jeep. He walks away continuing to talk crap. I walked around the back of my Jeep and said “dude, this is America.. instead of stealing crap or selling drugs I focus my efforts into cars. What’s your issue with that? You should respect that and value someone with a different opinion than yours.. don’t talk to me about this f’ing BS.”

So I waited for him to leave. A couple minutes later he passes and parks a few isles over in direct view. I left because I know he was going to bash a window, tail light, something.

It’s funny but it’s not. The guy had no idea who he was talking to. He could’ve picked the wrong person and gotten seriously hurt or worse. I had no intention of heightening the situation, but what if he messed with someone that felt otherwise?
You are a good guy. He probably is unhappy. Lots of that around here normally and only exacerbated by the Covid19 crap. Plus locked up with his wife for xxxxx days and counting may not help the already unstable among us.
You handled it like the adult he isn't. Good for you.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That was my thought as well. I feel bad for the dude but morally I would’ve felt worse for letting a senior get the worst of me and have a stupid reaction... the wrong person wouldn’t stop to consider that.
Dude, I have to meet you for a beer once this is over. I'll buy.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone stick one in my face, you'll be picking the little toy up off the pavement , keep it up the teeth will be next.[/QUOTE]
I think Dale Carnegie might have something valuable to offer here.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Someone stick one in my face, you'll be picking the little toy up off the pavement , keep it up the teeth will be next.
I think Dale Carnegie might have something valuable to offer here.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking more on the order of Dr. Phil. :)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think people are just really totally stressed out right now.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You are a good guy. He probably is unhappy. Lots of that around here normally and only exacerbated by the Covid19 crap. Plus locked up with his wife for xxxxx days and counting may not help the already unstable among us.
You handled it like the adult he isn't. Good for you.
If his wife is anything like him, I can only imagine how he feels after 3 months of lockup with her.. lol. But yeah, unfortunately this is bringing the worst out in people.

Dude, I have to meet you for a beer once this is over. I'll buy.
For sure. I’m good with that!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, a senior gentlemen tried to pick a fight with me today at the grocery store. I think he must’ve been off his meds and had a lot of pent up quarantine frustration... or maybe he’s just always an a-hole.

I was driving my Jeep and as I’m driving through the parking lot, I slow to let this guy cross. He’s staring at me the entire time and mouthing off and making the “I’m not worthy” worship motion. I had my windows down and as I passed him, I slowed down and said “yes sir?”. He starts ranting about all the noise I’m making and how I must be a real tough guy because I drive a big, loud Jeep.

I said “oook, have a good day” and pulled off. As I pull into my parking spot, this guy walks up and infront of me. Jeep is still running because I don’t know this guy’s intent. I started filming him because again, you never know and if some crap shook loose I need proof of what occurred.

So he continues ranting about all the noise and is pointing at the snorkel on the Jeep going “c’mon, c’mon, really, is that necessary, what is that?” And then proceeded to tell me it (the snorkel) was making too much noise and that I’m “a punk” and he “has kids my age”. My response “OK...”.

He walks around to my door and I started to get pissed. I turned myself toward him in case he pulled some stupid crap and he said “you want to arm wrestle? Let me show you what this 70 year old man is made of... c’mon, TRY ME”. My response was asking him what his issue was and that I didn’t want to fight him. This guy is 38 years older than me, trying to pick a fight in a grocery store parking lot over my Jeep being too loud and apparently too big?

He continued to mouth off. I got out as I felt incredibly cornered sitting in the Jeep. He walks away continuing to talk crap. I walked around the back of my Jeep and said “dude, this is America.. instead of stealing crap or selling drugs I focus my efforts into cars. What’s your issue with that? You should respect that and value someone with a different opinion than yours.. don’t talk to me about this f’ing BS.”

So I waited for him to leave. A couple minutes later he passes and parks a few isles over in direct view. I left because I know he was going to bash a window, tail light, something.

It’s funny but it’s not. The guy had no idea who he was talking to. He could’ve picked the wrong person and gotten seriously hurt or worse. I had no intention of heightening the situation, but what if he messed with someone that felt otherwise?
Sometimes shopping at Publix isn't a pleasure.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sometimes shopping at Publix isn't a pleasure.
I think I’m sticking to Winn Dixie from now on. Lol.
Sponsored