Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Took delivery of my 17 with 7100 miles. Car has been tracked about 5 times.

First owner has replaced the pads already just not the rotors. I am looking to get new Powerstop pads however do you all think I should replace the rotors right away? They are expensive and dont really want to unless I have too.

How long do the rotors normally last on these?
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
They should measure the thickness of the rotors and if they are worn, they need replaced. There is a minimum value for the rotors.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Took delivery of my 17 with 7100 miles. Car has been tracked about 5 times.

First owner has replaced the pads already just not the rotors. I am looking to get new Powerstop pads however do you all think I should replace the rotors right away? They are expensive and dont really want to unless I have too.

How long do the rotors normally last on these?
7100 miles is nothing for these, but they might be ready for replacement anyway. It depends on the condition of the rotors - they don't usually wear out as much as they develop cracks.

The thing is, how are you planning to use the car? If you're switching to Powerstop, then presumably it's for daily driver service and the condition of the rotors is not as big factor as it would be if you were going to track the car.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Next year I want to run at road america with it but it will not be driven that hard. Just some back roads and to dinner and stuff.

I find myself blip downshifting more than I do hammering the brakes.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
You may want to have the rotors turned just to give the new pads something new to adjust to. Sometimes different pads don't adjust well to older rotors.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I would help if you had pictures of the rotors. For the most part, there is no need to replace rotors unless they are cracked or warped. I run RA and I use brakes. Rotors last longer then that. I assume the 7100 miles in not track time.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Take the rotors to a place that can resurface them. It cost between 7 and 10 dollars each and is well worth it. Otherwise you can get a shack or uneven braking. Just not worth it for 40 bucks

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I have gone through 5 or 6 sets of oem front pads on my rotors. Thickness is not an issue, but they are starting to crack from track use (6800 miles). I had them turned after the first set but didn’t need to and have not done so again. Pads will cause vibration when they chunk near end of their thickness, which went away when new pads slapped on without turning again.

I would turn if possible if changing to a different pad, but check first bc many places will not turn a drilled rotor bc it wears out the machine faster.
1DA858ED-13C4-4A03-9E22-B50875D7A493.jpeg

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed if the rotors are crossed drilled most will not turn them.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Those look like new to me, no cracks. Just pad slap and do aggressive bed in and you’ll be fine, especially if switching to a more aggressive pad. Stock pads are great though, quiet, bite fast and quite good on track, they just don’t last more than 5 track days if you are aggressive. They do leg rotors last a very long time though. My rotors above have probably 25-30 track days on them with oem pads and still ok for a bit. I’m switching to st43 pads tough on new rotors bc tired of doing so many pad changes all summer

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Those look perfectly fine. You should see my rotors, even after cooled, they're still discolored with that beautiful naughty purple hue. I'm extremely hard on the middle pedal though. Btw, NEVER turn your rotors on a high performance vehicle. If you're to the point of where they need to be turned, replace them. Any reason why yo're going with the Powerstop pads and not the stockers? Just curious because if you get stock pads again, your bed in process will be very simply replace pads, some HARD stops to transfer material, and go. Since the pads are the same.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
16K on my 2017, never tracked, brakes starting to squeal at low speed stops. Time for new pads?
Normal. Go off by pad and rotor thickness, not noise. If you want, try doing some HARD stops to see if you can bed in a little better but 16,000 miles later probably won't do much. These are noisy brakes by nature. I bedded in my brakes on autocross when I took delivery and I beat them like they owed me money. I've never had excessive noise until recently, at about 18,000 miles. I checked my pad life, I have maybe another track day and a few thousand miles left on them.
Sponsored