Sponsored

What would you do??

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Picked up my 350 a couple weeks ago. Immediately noticed this thin spot in the paint. It’s on the passenger’s side where right on the edge of the door where it meets the front fender. Looks like paint didn’t cover, but the clear did. It’s silky smooth and you can’t feel any imperfection. The spot isn’t noticeable accept in direct sunlight. The magnetic paint has so much metallic in it that this spot looks like wax residue in the sun.

Pisses me off that this passed Ford’s QC. Anyone with a halfway keen eye should have notice it. I’ve submitted a warranty request through Ford and am waiting for approval, which the dealer doesn’t think will be any problem. Now my big dilemma is what to do about this? The dealership has a pretty large body shop and they’ve talked about respraying a significant portion of the door and blending it into the front fender. I guess this is the easy way out for them? This gives me goosebumps. Scared it won’t be the same, and scared what the Ford body guys capabilities are. With where the imperfection is I’ve actually thought about seeing if they could just touch it up to make it less noticeable. Something about defacing the clear, the risk of fisheye orange peel difference etc on the respray, and the quality of the blend have got me nervous as hell.

What would you do?
D06AA396-A170-4871-8C5C-EF5E1A22446B.jpeg
97AB9A71-45C9-4DFB-959A-E04D207917E9.jpeg
Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Not the best of options, but the only two you have is to let them fix it or live with it. You could ask around and see if any othe Ford dealerships are well known for great body shops, but it likely you'll be disappointed with the answers.

Sorry man. Good luck with it, and keep on them until it meets your approval.

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
I would not do anything. I myself had a few imperfections on my car when I picked it up, couldnt take 30 min to look it over had to drive it so I left it, and even if I had noticed I think I would pass on the car or live with it. I purchased a new 4 runner that I spend way to much on and complained about the windshield having a small imperfection. Dealer agreed to replace it, when they stripped the glue they removed all the paint around the roof line and pillars. they said no problem we have to repaint most of the car to fix it, or touch up paint may work. So after that, nope, I am a beliver that they will make things worse, So my gap on my rear bumper and scrape on my splitter will just be characterisics of may car. Also if you plan on driving your car, the first time a rock smacks the front youll forget all about that little clear area.

Nr.9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350 Stripeless Oxford White, Black Roof
That sucks! I understand the frustration.

But it's an easy fix if done properly. Touch up paint and some wet sanding. You'll never know. If you paint the whole fender you may have bigger problems. Like the paint not matching, orange peel..etc.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
That should be an easy touch up, I would stay away from any significant outer surface painting of any panels. If touched up properly you will not tell it was ever there.

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
To me it is not thin paint but contaminated surface that water based paint they use wouldn't stick to, but clear coat which is not water based did stick too. I believe if you block sanded that area when you get through the clear you find a cratered color coat that should be sanded back to the primer. Make them keep doing it till it matches

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I can just tell you my experiences in similar situations. The chance is good that the repair will be flawed in some other way - perhaps in a worse way than your current situation. Especially since you will know exactly where to look.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Leave it or do an airbrush touch-up - I would avoid having the panel(s) painted and blended.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I have a similar thing on my car...it’s small, but it is also on the edge of the door and is clear coated over. It’s a lot less noticeable because the car is avalanche gray. It’s 1/16” I’d say....I’m not messing with it. The repair will more then likely be flawed as well.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That looks like the front edge of the door made contact with the fender or something. If it's under clear coat it may have happened in the paint line. Usually an edge like that can be carefully touched up and be for the most part invisible. I use small artist brushes instead of the one in the touch up tube and clean them with lacquer thinner.

I think you would be asking for a lot bigger problem in asking them to repaint the whole door - especially with a metallic color. it will invariably not match well, have trash in it, get scratched from compounding/polishing or something.

Sponsored

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I would see what you dealer says and if approved ask to keep the cash if you saw my post from Friday I too had a few minor problems upon delivery that ford said they would fix but I don't think so they will probably make it worse the drive is awesome

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have extensive experience with stuff like this, trust me, either keep it as is and dont worry about it (and accept monetary compensation) OR just return the car and dont buy it. If they touch this, it will never be good enough. Not to mention, a paint meter will always catch it and you ll have tough time explaining.

OP
OP

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I’ve decided to touch it up myself rather than have them do it. How do you suggest I go about requesting monetary compensation? Is this something they normally do for warranty work?

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
If you carefully touch it up with a small brush and a couple light applications of touch up it should be virtually invisible. You want to just cover the light area only on the door edge - keep it off of the outer surface. I think seeking compensation from Ford for that would be a frustrating experience in unfulfilled expectations. In a couple of months you will forget all about it and probably can't see it without getting your eye down to within 6 inches of it.

Wait until you hear the gruunch of dragging the front spoiler over the pavement on that small dip you thought you can easily clear. That will be something else to fret over.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Go to Ulta and look at the makeup brushes...they make perfect touch up brushes.
Sponsored