Sponsored

Time for plates - how did you do it?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well I've come to the end of my temp tags and I have to get the plates mounted. Here in MN we need both front and rear. The rear is no problem, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing for the front.

I had a Craig's front bracket on my 2015 GT. It's ok but I didn't love it.

I bought a Grimmspeed bracket for a WRX to see whether I can make it work on my GT350. It's a really nice piece - designed to thread into the tow hook mount on the front of the car. A guy at work here has one and it looks great on the WRX. I'm hoping to figure out how to get it on my car this coming weekend. I have access to a welder and Bridgeport if necessary, so that may help.

I'd like to hear what you guys are doing for the front plate, with photos if possible.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Search hidden plates. I've seen plates that can slide in and out for the front. When closed, you can't see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Search hidden plates. I've seen plates that can slide in and out for the front. When closed, you can't see anything.
Thanks but I don't know why I would want to hide the front plate. It needs to be displayed. I just prefer not to drill big holes front and center in my bumper.

I will search. Maybe some of them mount the way I want. I realize I don't need to use the hiding feature.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thanks but I don't know why I would want to hide the front plate. It needs to be displayed. I just prefer not to drill big holes front and center in my bumper.

Because the big ol plate kills the beauty of the car up front. You can put the plate away at car shows, meets, road courses etc and just have it out on the road when driving.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the link. I would worry about ground clearance with that solution, but it may end up being the best choice.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This one would be more or less close to how it would mount on a GT350 if not under the lip.

the_nash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nash
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Red/White Stripe - Tech Package
I had a Craig's front bracket on my 2015 GT. It's ok but I didn't love it.
Wondering what to do as well. Mind sharing what your downsides on Craig's are? I was leaning towards his since the other options I've seen (sto-n-sho and the one at american muscle) all mount under the car and have to pass under the splitter. Not crazy about what that does for clearance. I can barely get into my own driveway as it is.

Cheers

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's required in Wisconsin too. I just may end up "forgetting" when I take delivery. :D

There are so many Wisco cars that run around my area without a front license plate it's not even funny.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
For this car, I plan on Craig's bracket. I have one on my '15 and prefer the position where the plate mounts. I assume he is going to finalize a version for the GT350 front bumper.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
For this car, I plan on Craig's bracket. I have one on my '15 and prefer the position where the plate mounts. I assume he is going to finalize a version for the GT350 front bumper.
Based on what I've seen this is the way to go. Refresh my memory, it can be installed with two sided tape or screws?

Sponsored

Beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Guard Metallic MT
I just used the one that came with the car and drilled the holes. Doesn't matter where it is it still looks like crap.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Based on what I've seen this is the way to go. Refresh my memory, it can be installed with two sided tape or screws?
Initial versions had a provision for both. Current versions use 3M automotive tape only. Been happy with the tape bond. Based on feedback, it was updated to a stronger version than the first ones made. Craig was very responsive and helpful in making changes.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I agonized about this for far too long while waiting for my GT to arrive....

Then I got to thinking.....on several of my past Mustangs I had installed various different aftermarket front plate mounts. Most had some downsides.

I finally looked at enough pics of the OEM mount and decided it's far better looking and less bulky than previous units, so I said to hell with it and ran with it. I haven't looked at it once since and regretted it. :shrug:

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wondering what to do as well. Mind sharing what your downsides on Craig's are? I was leaning towards his since the other options I've seen (sto-n-sho and the one at american muscle) all mount under the car and have to pass under the splitter. Not crazy about what that does for clearance. I can barely get into my own driveway as it is.

Cheers
No reinforcing plate behind the license plate. You are supposed to remove the plate from the front bumper every time you go through a car wash. I drove the 2015 year round so I washed it a lot last winter. It's a real PITA to take the thing off every time. My license plate got bent up and looked crappy.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agonized about this for far too long while waiting for my GT to arrive....

Then I got to thinking.....on several of my past Mustangs I had installed various different aftermarket front plate mounts. Most had some downsides.

I finally looked at enough pics of the OEM mount and decided it's far better looking and less bulky than previous units, so I said to hell with it and ran with it. I haven't looked at it once since and regretted it. :shrug:
I may end up doing this as well.

Initial versions had a provision for both. Current versions use 3M automotive tape only. Been happy with the tape bond. Based on feedback, it was updated to a stronger version than the first ones made. Craig was very responsive and helpful in making changes.
Thanks, that's good to know. After I read the instructions for my 2015 I ended up using the screws as well as the tape to be sure. Mostly because it gets very cold here and I didn't want to lose the plate.
Sponsored