Sponsored

Time for plates - how did you do it?

macroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pkg.
Waiting on Craig's based on other forums. I did email him recently and the brackets are currently being fabricated. So it should be fairly soon.

Here in MD, we also need to have plates on the front. And since I don't see this car ever visiting an automatic car wash, it shouldn't be an issue. I just don't want to drill into the bumper if possible. Albeit I'm not sure if tape is any better? Or is it simply because you're taping on a less-visible surface?
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I just don't want to drill into the bumper if possible. Albeit I'm not sure if tape is any better? Or is it simply because you're taping on a less-visible surface?
The base mounts on the underside of the upper front fascia. It is an automotive grade tape, meant to be used in varying weather conditions at pretty wide temperature extremes.

It works because of the adhesion properties and the way the base is designed to be placed in the recommended area. You do have to clean the surface with an alcohol prep pad, but that is included with the bracket when you order. I also asked for adhesion promoter to really seal the deal.

For an example of the one on my '15 GT, take a look here.

I assume the base will mount on the area where the stripes aren't located. From my quick glance, it seems the stripes don't wrap all the way underneath the upper area. Of course, if your car is stripeless, it wouldn't matter.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I will take my lumps when I get caught with the fix-it tickets.

macroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pkg.
The base mounts on the underside of the upper front fascia. It is an automotive grade tape, meant to be used in varying weather conditions at pretty wide temperature extremes.

It works because of the adhesion properties and the way the base is designed to be placed in the recommended area. You do have to clean the surface with an alcohol prep pad, but that is included with the bracket when you order. I also asked for adhesion promoter to really seal the deal.

For an example of the one on my '15 GT, take a look here.

I assume the base will mount on the area where the stripes aren't located. From my quick glance, it seems the stripes don't wrap all the way underneath the upper area. Of course, if your car is stripeless, it wouldn't matter.
Thanks Tony. That makes sense. And finally seeing the bracket, I also see why some may feel that it doesn't provide enough support. I may just use an old plate and make it "two ply".

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
reading this thread, reminds me how lucky I am we only need rear plate.
I would be in as much pain and suffering as you guys are.

Sponsored

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Wait for a STO N SHO to come out? I have one on my PP GT and I absolutely love it. Has plate support, and disconnects with the pull of a pin on the underside. Great for car shows and washing!

the_nash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nash
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Red/White Stripe - Tech Package
Wait for a STO N SHO to come out? I have one on my PP GT and I absolutely love it. Has plate support, and disconnects with the pull of a pin on the underside. Great for car shows and washing!
It looks like the sto n sho is the sturdiest option available, but I don't want to lose more clearance. How much further down does the sto n sho sit and how far does it stick out in front of the car? I'm thinking I won't be able to get in my driveway with one of those, but it would be great if so.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
It looks like the sto n sho is the sturdiest option available, but I don't want to lose more clearance. How much further down does the sto n sho sit and how far does it stick out in front of the car? I'm thinking I won't be able to get in my driveway with one of those, but it would be great if so.
Don't get the sto n sho if you plan on scraping your lip at least once in your life time. All it takes is one scrape to destroy the sto n sho

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I can take pics for you in the daylight...I'm on stock suspension still so I've never had an issue with it scraping anything. I like the idea of it so much more than some adhesive mount. I also mounted mine off-center, so if you always hit your driveway at a certain angle you can just put it on the opposite side. I mounted mine on the left to the state troopers on 66 don't bother me to and from work. :D
Sponsored