Sponsored

Those using E30 fuel...

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I don't think a stock tune will run properly on anything more than E15. Just try to run the highest octane premium fuel you can find.
i run only 93 octane.

hard to be a cool guy when you spiritedly (not flooring it) accelerate leaving an outdoor restaurant and your car pings twice and pulls back timing. and yes im running the colder Denzo plugs properly gapped.

so would it be beneficial to blend for a 94/95/96 octane?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
You can try blending for an E15 mix. Add one gallon of e85 and fill the rest with 93. However, that's only going to bump the octane to around 94 octane. It might not help, but it doesn't hurt to try either.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
You can try blending for an E15 mix. Add one gallon of e85 and fill the rest with 93. However, that's only going to bump the octane to around 94 octane. It might not help, but it doesn't hurt to try either.
what knowledge are you basing this off of?

sorry I dont know everyone's technical background here.

I would hope an active tuner could chime in and say something like "on a stock tune, datalogging, we see the engine increasing timing to this limit - so using up to XX octane would be the furthest you'd want to take it without having a negative impact on MPG"

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Blend yourself, extremely easy. Divide the fuel tank capacity by 4 then put that much e85 in the tank (3.8 gallons) and the rest 93 unless you don't fill your tank on every fill up then that will make it a bit more difficult.
So as long as you put 3.8 gallons of e85 in the tank you can never mix it wrong?

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
So as long as you put 3.8 gallons of e85 in the tank you can never mix it wrong?
I always run mine to 0 miles to empty then add 4 gallons of e85 and the rest with 93. At 0 miles to empty, there's usually about a gallon of e30 left in the mix. Over time, that 1 gallon of e30 residing in the tank will start raising the mixture levels of the ethanol, so I usually run a few gallons of 93 through it about every 5 tanks just to reset the mixture. You don't have to do it, but I always do to ensure that I don't creep up to something like an e40 blend. Lol

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Make sure yall are figuring out the actual level of ethanol content before mixing as well. Get yourself a cheap ethanol test kit and go around your fav fill up spots and test them out.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Make sure yall are figuring out the actual level of ethanol content before mixing as well. Get yourself a cheap ethanol test kit and go around your fav fill up spots and test them out.
Trust me, I already do that. The local stations are pretty darn consistent to always being within a couple percentage points.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
My E85 is E70. I dump 4 gallons in, then fill up the rest with 93. Good to go.

OP
OP

KrisR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 50th Premium
My E85 is E70. I dump 4 gallons in, then fill up the rest with 93. Good to go.
Yeah ours is pretty much E70 until May and then they switch to E85.

What I've been doing is this (with E70. Actual E85 will require a little less ethanol based fuel). It's gotten my fuel trims very close on my E30 tune so it must be working.

Reset the trip odometer when you fill up with fuel.
When it's time to refill, Divide the mileage driven by the fuel economy (say it's 300 miles, and 25mpg). This says you've burned about 12 gallons of fuel total, and will therefore need 12 gallons to refill. Divide this into 3 parts, and add 1/3 'E85' (actually E70) and 2/3 premium pump fuel, so in this case put 4 gallons of E70 in and it should take about 8 gallons of premium to fill it the rest of the way.

It will be more like a 1/4 to 3/4 ratio when there's actual E85 in the pumps. I'll experiment with that.

Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
I usually run a few gallons of 93 through it about every 5 tanks just to reset the mixture. You don't have to do it, but I always do to ensure that I don't creep up to something like an e40 blend. Lol
haha its all in your head, thats almost as bad as me I put 5 1/2 gallons of 93, then 4 gallons of e85, then top off with 93 so three separate transactions at the pump then afterwards a couple of hard brake checks to make sure I mix the fuel in the tank! lol

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Good info. I wish there was a way to keep the transaction open as you switched fuels. :hitcomputer:

Flushing out the tank with 93 every once in a while is probably a good idea too. The drop in power for those couple of tanks will be tough to handle lol.

I have another question, I know the alcohol in the ethanol absorbs water and can create condensation in the fuel system if left too long. How long is too long in some of your opinions? My car is not my daily so a tankful of E30 can take as much as a week and a half to go through.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
So, how are you guys testing? Pump some into a water bottle, gas can, etc? The testing part is the part I am most curious about. The rest is just math, or entering numbers into an app.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
There are cheap test kits you can buy, but you can do the same thing with a 100ml graduated cylinder. Youtube has plenty of vids showing how they work. Last I checked my E85 station was really E82 which isn't too far off to start messing with the mix ratios.

flomoloko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I'm just now sort of learning about this E30 alternative. Have some questions if you don't mind. Can any good tuner tune for this? Besides a custom tune for it, would any other bolt ons be necessary?
Sponsored