Thinking about switching from C6 Corvette

Bkings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2005 C6. 2020 GT
Like the title says I'm toying with the idea of switching to a 2020 GT premium with the pp M6 trans. I found one with only 7k miles that is near perfect.

Had anyone made the switch from a C6 Vette and regretted it?

I currently have a 2005 LS2 C6 with full bolt ons with a nice lumpy cam making 440ish whp. My wife hates that car. With a passion.

It's just a weekend cruiser and not a DD.

What kind of hp should I expect out of the mustang with a full exhaust and cai?
Sponsored

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
wife isn't gonna like a loud mustang any better really. :p

IMHO, the c6 is a damn fine vehicle. it does however serve a different purpose. C6 is going to be lighter so those HP go a bit further. stock vs stock an ls2 c6 will be roughly the same as a current GT. the newer car does come with a bit more tech in it, by today's standard the c6 is "ancient". personally I'm a fan of the c6, it was the platform that made the vette competitive in the world of true sportscars. mustang may come off as a bit less refined and raw, in a good way. I think the mustang interior is a bit more comfy and the ride slightly better. as long as you're getting the "right tool for the job" neither is a bad option. mustang does have a backseat, that could be a plus for the wife. while it's tight back there you can put someone back there. at heart i'll always be a mustang guy but I'd own a c6 as a sunday driver with my wife if I could get away with having two toy cars

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
They're completely different cars. Mustangs are not Sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars. Sports Coupes. Big trunk, easy to get in and out of, roomy, quiet.....

Not like your Corvette at all.

To be honest, I think you're making a mistake, and should keep your Corvette. A Mustang and a Corvette have very little in common. At a minimum you should know what you're getting into. And I'd be interested in hearing more about the "why" of your considering a Mustang.

As far as the CAI/exhaust thing, again, a Mustang isn't a Corvette. Mustangs need tuning, not CAI & exhaust system. They already have CAIs. And unless you change to LTHers, you're just changing the sound when you change the exhaust, not doing anything for power.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
The C6 edges closer to pure performance, but I don't think I have to tell you how hard it can be to live with on less-than-perfect roads. It can be a rough rider. The Mustang is also a performance vehicle, but with better comfort and ride characteristics (in my opinion) for everyday use.

I am betting your bride would like the Mustang better after just sitting in the seats. The stock seats are better than anything else that's appeared in Mustangs from the factory.

And it is plenty fun to drive. But if you put it in track mode - be on a track. With the nannys shut off, she will be a handful.

JMHO.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I currently have a 2005 LS2 C6 with full bolt ons with a nice lumpy cam making 440ish whp. My wife hates that car. With a passion.
I'm with her, the one year only steering wheel in the 2005 is tragic looking

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've got an 08 C6. I have a hard time getting in and out of it so it is a destination car. I also track it. When I bought my Mustang I was thinking it should be equal to the vette, NOPE!

Even with suspension mods and tuning the vette is faster on a track. Me driving both, I pass many vetts when on a track in the Mustang. It is not slow.

Driving daily or running errands the Mustang shines. It is easy to get in and out of and has plenty of power and handling for lots of smiles every time I drive it. My wife likes it. Like yours she cringes when I take the vette.

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Traded a 2013 c6 6spd for the Mustang that is currently owned. Loved the raw vette. Only have had the Mustang a month and took a couple trips that make it a Grand Touring vehicle for sure. Wish you could keep the vette. My wife did not like it and she couldn't drive a stick anyways. I had a hell of a time getting in and out. LOL. She loves the Mustang and drives it all over. Great input from members.

OP
OP
Bkings

Bkings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2005 C6. 2020 GT
Great feedback ladies and gentlemen. I greatly appreciate it.

I went ahead and bought the mustang.
2020 with just a touch under 8k miles. I've only driven it about 20 miles but so far I really like it and more importantly, so does the wife.

They're completely different cars. Mustangs are not Sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars. Sports Coupes. Big trunk, easy to get in and out of, roomy, quiet.....

Not like your Corvette at all.

To be honest, I think you're making a mistake, and should keep your Corvette. A Mustang and a Corvette have very little in common. At a minimum you should know what you're getting into. And I'd be interested in hearing more about the "why" of your considering a Mustang.

As far as the CAI/exhaust thing, again, a Mustang isn't a Corvette. Mustangs need tuning, not CAI & exhaust system. They already have CAIs. And unless you change to LTHers, you're just changing the sound when you change the exhaust, not doing anything for power.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the whole tune thing. Not my first rodeo just my first time looking into the mustangs. The full exhaust would include LTs. Is the factory intake that good that it's not worth replacing?

My wife just caught me out in the garage staring at the Vette. She told me to keep it if I like it that much. I think I will for now. I still have a supercharger kit sitting on the shelf waiting to go on.

Thanks all. I'll definitely be around the forums. I've never been able to leave will enough alone. I really think the mustang could use a blower too🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Bkings

Bkings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2005 C6. 2020 GT
I've got an 08 C6. I have a hard time getting in and out of it so it is a destination car. I also track it. When I bought my Mustang I was thinking it should be equal to the vette, NOPE!

Even with suspension mods and tuning the vette is faster on a track. Me driving both, I pass many vetts when on a track in the Mustang. It is not slow.

Driving daily or running errands the Mustang shines. It is easy to get in and out of and has plenty of power and handling for lots of smiles every time I drive it. My wife likes it. Like yours she cringes when I take the vette.
Thank you. Great info

FLfree

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance
I have had 12 Corvette’s over the years including 2 C6’s (Z06 &427) and 4 C7’s including ( Z51, Z06 & Grand Sport) last vet was a ‘19.
I am actually embarrassed as how much I love my ‘21 GT PP. it checks all the boxes. I am shocked at the performance and everything about it. Prior to this I never would of imagined I would love it so much. No regrets! Car seat for the grandson is a big bonus also!!

Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
i traded a 07 c6 Z06 for my car back in 2017. Back in 2017 I thought that car was dated, cant imagine getting in one now lol.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible

2020 with just a touch under 8k miles. I've only driven it about 20 miles but so far I really like it and more importantly, so does the wife.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the whole tune thing. Not my first rodeo just my first time looking into the mustangs. The full exhaust would include LTs. Is the factory intake that good that it's not worth replacing?

My wife just caught me out in the garage staring at the Vette. She told me to keep it if I like it that much. I think I will for now. I still have a supercharger kit sitting on the shelf waiting to go on.

Thanks all. I'll definitely be around the forums. I've never been able to leave will enough alone. I really think the mustang could use a blower too🤣🤣🤣
Nice deal if you can swing it. I have a 2020 GT PP convertible, runs 460HP stock and as everyone says nice for the country drive and decent on the track. I have the Ford ESP so my mods will not mess with engine or drive train warranty. Things like wheels, tires, brake pads, springs for better road and track driving. Mine is not a DD either. Enjoy!

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I had a 2011 Grand Sport for 8 years. Fun car. Comfortable and handled wonderfully.
The best part? Great gas mileage!!
Sold it because I wanted to upgrade to a C6 ZR1.
20151010_175706.jpg
20150515_180024.jpg

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Like the title says I'm toying with the idea of switching to a 2020 GT premium with the pp M6 trans. I found one with only 7k miles that is near perfect.

Had anyone made the switch from a C6 Vette and regretted it?

It's just a weekend cruiser and not a DD.

What kind of hp should I expect out of the mustang with a full exhaust and cai?
weight ruins everything. the GT is heavier. if you do this you're trading sports car life for GT life.

that said, i chose a new GT pp1 6spd over a used vette because 450hp, torsen diff, brembos, and a back seat for the kiddos is a lot for the dollar. sold my extremely focused, lighter, 2 seater IRS equipped SVT cobra to get it.

my opinion, the s550 is better than the c6 platform for daily duties.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

The stock air box is quite good. A good drop in filter (K&N, Airaid, etc.) is plenty good enough in my opinion.
Sponsored