OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I don't really understand why a guy who ostensibly likes cars would choose to drive a little turd instead of a blown Mustang. I don't pay attention to what I pay for fuel. I just fill up when the tank gets low. It's the price for having fun and I am more than willing to pay it.

I can't think of many expenses that are for fun expenses that I would prioritize over my car or the consumables for it. I even (heaven forbid) go to the track occasionally. I often have to fill up after two 20 minute driving sessions! Far less than 200 miles and single digit fuel economy. And I pay good money for that track time!

Crazy, right?
Different strokes for different folks. Pros vs cons. I'm used to the Mustang by now. It's fun but I don't get to use nearly all the power on the street and just cruising around getting 200mi to a tank on $4/gallon gas gets old.

Calling a VW Golf TDI manual a little turd shows you don't know much about cars or you're just a redneck or both.
Sponsored

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I don't really understand why a guy who ostensibly likes cars would choose to drive a little turd instead of a blown Mustang. I don't pay attention to what I pay for fuel. I just fill up when the tank gets low. It's the price for having fun and I am more than willing to pay it.

I can't think of many expenses that are for fun expenses that I would prioritize over my car or the consumables for it. I even (heaven forbid) go to the track occasionally. I often have to fill up after two 20 minute driving sessions! Far less than 200 miles and single digit fuel economy. And I pay good money for that track time!

Crazy, right?
I don't think it's that crazy to understand. I'm in the same position with my little Infinite beater. My blown stang doesn't get much use sitting in traffic on the way to work so the 10 mpg doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather kick the shit out of my other car and keep money in my pocket for other stuff. I do drive the piss out of the mustang when I can though :headbang:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
Sounds like you guys don't get out to the track of your choice anywhere near often enough.

Norm
Just don't seem to have the time for it! I still race motocross so that's enough thrill for me lol. I just don't like watching my gas gauge go down while sitting in traffic.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Sounds like you guys don't get out to the track of your choice anywhere near often enough.
Nope. And have zero interest. Will never take it to the track. I take myself and my legs to the track though when I'm doing speed workouts. :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Different strokes for different folks. Pros vs cons. I'm used to the Mustang by now. It's fun but I don't get to use nearly all the power on the street and just cruising around getting 200mi to a tank on $4/gallon gas gets old.

Calling a VW Golf TDI manual a little turd shows you don't know much about cars or you're just a redneck or both.
Ha ha - I'm probably a bit of a redneck. I will cop to that. I've always had a weak spot for VW, a Beetle was the car I learned to drive with. But I really am biased against front wheel drive cars. Maybe unreasonably so. They seem cheap and junky to me.

I think VW and other German cars are very likable but on this side of the pond we don't get a great value for the money. They are fine but I would sell the Golf and drive the Mustang.

If I had to have a VW, I'd prefer to hot rod an old Corrado or something. Way better looking. Change it over to RWD, engine swap it and it could be pretty decent.

I don't think it's that crazy to understand. I'm in the same position with my little Infinite beater. My blown stang doesn't get much use sitting in traffic on the way to work so the 10 mpg doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather kick the shit out of my other car and keep money in my pocket for other stuff. I do drive the piss out of the mustang when I can though :headbang:
Okey dokey. I think we will have to agree to disagree. You can save your "good" car for the next owner and I will use mine as much as possible.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not even a dragstrip? With a supercharger?

Norm
I could honestly care less about any of that stuff. I enjoy driving and when I do drive the GT (mostly weekends, since I work from home), it's to farther out places to go do what I like most: run. Running is my thing. And it's nice driving the GT to these destinations and back.

Tracking cars or taking to the drag strip........100% could care less. Cars to me aren't a sport. Probably why watching car racing or drag racing puts me to sleep.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cars to me aren't a sport. Probably why watching car racing or drag racing puts me to sleep.
I don't typically watch racing either. But just because it isn't fun to watch doesn't mean it isn't fun to do.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I could honestly care less about any of that stuff. I enjoy driving and when I do drive the GT (mostly weekends, since I work from home), it's to farther out places to go do what I like most: run. Running is my thing. And it's nice driving the GT to these destinations and back.

Tracking cars or taking to the drag strip........100% could care less. Cars to me aren't a sport. Probably why watching car racing or drag racing puts me to sleep.
So you do care.

;)

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

So if to you cars are not a sport - which I'm assuming means you're not into the car show thing either - and you're frustrated by not being able to use much of the power that your car has . . . why on earth did you supercharge it in the first place?

That's why I've been suggesting lower-powered Mustangs, since the g/f apparently isn't comfortable riding in anything much smaller.

I don't watch much racing either. Mostly, I'd rather spend the time just driving.

Norm

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same struggle with my GT Coupe when I was contemplating boosting it and going to the track. Had to re-evaluate whether that was what I wanted to do. I was getting frustrated driving my GT back and forth to work in slow traffic. Eventually I decided to scrap the track/auto-cross idea and get a convertible so I could have a fun/different driving experience for late afternoon/evening drives and weekends. I am very happy with my decision. I can still take the GT vert on back country roads and push the car a bit and as a cruiser when the temps are in the 60's at night and the sun is going down it is absolutely "heavenly" I'm actually excited to drive a GT again.....The corsa sport exhaust also adds to the auditory fun and having the top down I can experience it in all it's glory. Maybe some time down the road I will get the itch to buy a used GT350 or Boosted GT Coupe and go to the track or the strip, but for now I have found my niche and use for the Stang.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Correct, but you can't go crazy with the stock 2.3 like the 5.0
Shit, I had more mods on my Ford Flex EB
Sponsored