corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How about just removing the Whipple and driving the car with stock engine? That will make you work harder and might give you back the feeling you're looking for.
I've been thinking this for a while as well, but he's already spent some more $ on engine-related parts. That would have helped with #1 below.

1-My gas mileage sucks. I'm boosted and average 14mpg.

2-Commuting in crowded stop/go is a waste for the GT. I see cars sitting in bumper to bumper traffic near the trail I run.
Not much you can do about this one except if it applies to move to a place where it doesn't.

3-Most importantly for me.......the quickest way for me to get tired/bored of a car is to commute daily in it. The GT is always exciting to drive for me since I don't slog a commute in it.
Back when I still had a day job, getting in my '08 for the commute to and the ride back home was almost always more enjoyable than any of the part in between. Even in some traffic in the afternoon and somewhere between 50 and 100 shifts it was a welcome CTRL-ALT-DEL mental reset where I got to put the rest of the world on hold for a while. And overall, I actually liked my job.

I can't imagine taking what might be the most boring part of the day and making it worse by driving something that isn't fun to drive.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A lot of people are sentimental about their cars. I'm one of em. Yes, they are machines but they're machines that are in our lives.

To some people an S550 is a Porsche or a Maserati lol. Might be a little excessive obviously cuz its not but to people who have saved up their pennies for muscle car of their dreams - it's pretty important.
Understood - but any car I can afford, or could have afforded, is going to get driven without any self-imposed restrictions such as weekends only. Because for me the fun is in the driving, not in owning the fanciest, shiniest garage queen/driveway ornament on the block (that I'd still be spending about the same amount of $ on registration fees and insurance for just to let it sit there).

Not too far from where I live, there's a Lamborghini that at least used to see fairly regular driving. That guy gets it.

Norm

Reactions: Ebm

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Bullshit. Mine's sitting outside my work right now. It's my only vehicle.

I wouldn't own a Mustang to leave it sitting in a garage. What a waste.

Why would you think a Mustang is "not practical as a daily"?
Power you can't use, tires that are good for the summer and slick under 40 degrees, so-so gas millage in times that gas keeps getting taxed and priced higher, worth nothing in anything more than 2 inches of snow, suspension and seats rigid enough that it make your ass turn blue after 50 miles of driving, seats so low that you need an ejection mechanism to get you out of the car, a hood so high you can't see where you park, and paint that flakes off the minute something touches it. Meanwhile a car with 1/4 less the power geared properly/tuned with FWD/AWD can match its performance and even handle better stock (audi, bwm, RS, Nissan). It's a track car. I understand you are sacrificing for the sporty feel of a retro-american-sports car, but that's exactly what it is. A retro-american-sports-car with relatively cheap horsepower. If you think it holds more value than that, then ford did their job well.

All IMO of course.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Back when I still had a day job, getting in my '08 for the commute to and the ride back home was almost always more enjoyable than any of the part in between. Even in some traffic in the afternoon and somewhere between 50 and 100 shifts it was a welcome CTRL-ALT-DEL mental reset where I got to put the rest of the world on hold for a while. And overall, I actually liked my job.

I can't imagine taking what might be the most boring part of the day and making it worse by driving something that isn't fun to drive.

Norm
Agreed. I really can't understand the mentality that leads someone to drive a crappy car most the time, unless they absolutely can't afford something better. Torturing yourself so that when you stop you feel that "aaaah" moment of relief from the pain? :headbonk:

Understood - but any car I can afford, or could have afforded, is going to get driven without any self-imposed restrictions such as weekends only. Because for me the fun is in the driving, not in owning the fanciest, shiniest garage queen/driveway ornament on the block (that I'd still be spending about the same amount of $ on registration fees and insurance for just to let it sit there).

Not too far from where I live, there's a Lamborghini that at least used to see fairly regular driving. That guy gets it.

Norm
YES! That is right. I love my car, so I drive it as much as possible. I understand the feeling of wanting to preserve something you love, but then I think about an episode of Fast 'n' Loud where Richard bought a split window Corvette from a widow. The thing had very few miles and it was perfect. The guy is dead and he barely got to enjoy the car!

I'm not saving my car for someone else to enjoy. I'm going to use it up!

Power you can't use, tires that are good for the summer and slick under 40 degrees, so-so gas millage in times that gas keeps getting taxed and priced higher, worth nothing in anything more than 2 inches of snow, and paint that flakes off the minute something touches it. Meanwhile a car with 1/4 less the power geared properly with FWD/AWD can match its performance.
Pretty negative are we? There are remedies for what you're talking about. Good snow tires will allow our Mustangs to keep up with a lot of AWD vehicles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Power you can't use, tires that are good for the summer and slick under 40 degrees, so-so gas millage in times that gas keeps getting taxed and priced higher, worth nothing in anything more than 2 inches of snow, suspension and seats rigid enough that it make your ass turn blue after 50 miles of driving, seats so low that you need an ejection mechanism to get you out of the car, a hood so high you can't see where you park, and paint that flakes off the minute something touches it. Meanwhile a car with 1/4 less the power geared properly/tuned with FWD/AWD can match its performance(audi, bwm, RS, Nissan). It's a track car. I understand you are sacrificing for the sporty feel of a retro-american-sports car, but that's exactly what it is. A retro-american-sports-car.

All IMO of course.
Hog-wash....

I can use the power, when the situation is right, I drive on my OEM tires all year 'round, and don't have a problem. And if I did, a set of tires would fix that. Gas is not being taxed any higher, and the price of it rises and falls with it's market. And even a GT isn't much worse than a V6 Camry/Accord/SUV/etc. Hell, your Ecoboost should do BETTER than most other cars.

A Mustang is not low, barely lower than an Accord/Camry/whatever. The hood gives great visibility, it's not a problem parking. The paint is fine, no problems there. Other cars can match the performance, for twice the price, sure.

It's NOT a track car, and barely a sports-car. Maybe a sports coupe. What they really are, are GTs, Grand Touring cars. They make excellent daily drivers.

I think your biggest issue is incorrect expectations.

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I've been thinking this for a while as well, but he's already spent some more $ on engine-related parts. That would have helped with #1 below.

Norm
This is my reasoning. I went to a Honda Civic for a more practical drive. And it just didn't do it. I actually hated the drive to work and back. Yeah I used 100% of the power when passing but it was such a slog. I love going back to my mustang after a shitty day at work.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8

Not much you can do about this one except if it applies to move to a place where it doesn't.

Norm
Me neither. But I have a Jetta 1.8t for when I commuted and love the car. Great daily driver and it got over 200 miles per tank (unlike my GT).

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Don't get me wrong. I love my boosted GT. I like the torque and rumble of the V8. And the power of course.
The problem really is I'm sick of driving around half throttle most of the time. If I wring this car out a bit, I quickly end up 30+ over the speed limit. Is it fun? Sure. But it's also pretty reckless. And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

And yes, I know I'll be called nuts as to what I'm about to say. But I actually miss just flogging my '14 Fiesta SE manual all over the place and still going somewhat sane speeds. Something I simply cannot do in the Mustang 90% of the time. I feel like I got to use ALL of that car and in the Mustang I feel like I get to use 30%.

I'm considering going back to a true minimalist car that I can wring out on the streets and not care much if it gets dinged here and there...etc. I'm considering going back to a Fiesta SE. I drove the Fiesta ST. It's got much better power/handling but the ride quality/tire noise IMO was pretty horrible. And I'm thinking of going even cheaper.

I haven't committed to doing this. But I am thinking about it. One reason I may not is that my g/f probably won't ride in my car. She thinks small cars are not safe and only likes riding in big ones (like her Charger or the Mustang. Albeit she doesn't like riding much in the Mustang either b/c it's loud and has a firm ride compared to what she's used to, lol.)
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar sentiments?
Guessing not, so flame away! lol

I had the same problem with motorcycles...my 38 HP v-twin was much more fun than my 125 HP v-four. I could run the lesser bike to it's limits and fully enjoy it. The V-four choices were boring (25% throttle), illegal, or dead. I chose boring.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Love my slow car.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Only other car Iā€™m considering is a low mileage certified ā€˜15 Golf TDI 6spd manual. 236lb ft of torque and easy to avg 40mpg and get 500mi per tank. I can use all its power and fun to drive. I love VWs. And Iā€™d be pocketing the $15k diff if I sold my GT (privately). Going to test drive one anyway.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Me neither. But I have a Jetta 1.8t for when I commuted and love the car. Great daily driver and it got over 200 miles per tank (unlike my GT).
Huh, I'm a little puzzled when you say things like this.

I'm 96. Whoops.....I only have a GT. Read that wrong....I'm losing my reading comprehension skills now. I knew it would happen........
Maybe I understand now. ;)

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same problem with motorcycles...my 38 HP v-twin was much more fun than my 125 HP v-four. I could run the lesser bike to it's limits and fully enjoy it. The V-four choices were boring (25% throttle), illegal, or dead. I chose boring.

I hear ya. I rode a Cbr1100xx for 10 years. Used mostly for my then 40mi round trip commute. 167hp was way over the top and keeping that bike under 90 was a challenge. But man I loved that bike. Got out of riding while I was still in one piece. But I had my fun.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Originally Posted by Nomadic
Huh, I'm a little puzzled when you say things like
Let me decrypt the puzzle for you:

My boosted GT gets 200 mi to a tank . So where I am about $56 to fill up, to get 200 miles (maybe 210 if I'm lucky). My Jetta 1.8t gets about 350 miles per tank (smaller tank too) and takes 87 gas. Hence, it's quite a bit cheaper to commute in and the Jetta is no penalty box. It's not a slug and is very comfortable.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Slow does not mean boring. In fact often times it can be exactly the opposite for reasons exactly as you said. You can actually get to 100%.

What about an NC Miata or an AP2 S2000? They're still engaging, approachable limits, and they're not that bad in terms of ride comfort. Not stellar, but absolutely livable.
Yeah, exactly, I had an '07 S2K, and you could drive it hard, it was dynamic/engaging, but the experience was really amplified (it being a go-kart) so things generally stayed semi-legal even though it felt pretty wild :D

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Let me decrypt the puzzle for you:

My boosted GT gets 200 mi to a tank . So where I am about $56 to fill up, to get 200 miles (maybe 210 if I'm lucky). My Jetta 1.8t gets about 350 miles per tank (smaller tank too) and takes 87 gas. Hence, it's quite a bit cheaper to commute in and the Jetta is no penalty box. It's not a slug and is very comfortable.
I don't really understand why a guy who ostensibly likes cars would choose to drive a little turd instead of a blown Mustang. I don't pay attention to what I pay for fuel. I just fill up when the tank gets low. It's the price for having fun and I am more than willing to pay it.

I can't think of many expenses that are for fun expenses that I would prioritize over my car or the consumables for it. I even (heaven forbid) go to the track occasionally. I often have to fill up after two 20 minute driving sessions! Far less than 200 miles and single digit fuel economy. And I pay good money for that track time!

Crazy, right?
Sponsored