Sponsored

Thinking of switching from my BMW F30 to the mustang GT

snarkipus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=20148]chaudhrysn[/MENTION] I switched over from a fully loaded Infiniti G37S Coupe since it was starting to show its age. Obviously not the same car, but still in that family of entry level luxury performance cars.

I found the fit and finish, both interior and exterior, to be on par with the G for the most part. Overall, the only regret that I have is the stock stereo (401A) compared to the Infiniti's Bose "Studio on Wheels" system.

The GT has a very different personality ... one which grows on me more as time goes on.
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
So speaking of maintenance and stuff, I will hopefully be getting a CPO 2015, but are there any problems that are common to the mustangs to look out for? For example, I know the N54 engine had its fair share of problems with the HPFP.
I cannot comment on known problems for the 2015 Mustangs, but my used car shopping process went something like this:
- check caranddriver
- check consumer reports
- check IIHS
- check autotrader, wide radius, sort by X
- check kbb for fair prices
- check carfax / autocheck for anomalies
- going over the car with a paint meter
- cursory inspection and test drive

if I was prepared to make an offer, I would want the car to get put on a lift and have a going over by a third party mechanic, make sure nothings leaking, etc. For CPO cars, this may be less necessary, but it can still save hassle.

keep in mind that sports cars can be driven hard ( by people like me :thumbsup: ), so be prepared to put on more parts, and adjust your offer accordingly.

xMAUIxxWOWIEx

"Always go full racecar"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oz
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Coming from a bimmer lover....

I can tell you right now the cost of parts for this car, especially performance parts are way cheaper and way more rewarding than parts for a BMW.... I have a E30 I have been working on for almost 2 years now, and even some of the OEM factory replacement parts cost as much as the performance parts.... The ammount of power you get per dollar is amazing. I see you live in TX so using the car as a daily wont be a problem.

I say pull the trigger!

OP
OP

chaudhrysn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW F30 335i
Well, I've been doing more searching and research, and I think I'll definitely be going with a new 2016 mustang. I see plenty going for about 37K, so thats only 4-5K more than a used. Is the 401a really worth it? All I see is the upgraded stereo, and I could care less about the blind spot as I've never cared for that. Im simply getting bored with the F30 and need a change as well as a change to a car with less miles.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I read around the forums and the 401A audio isnt that great so I skipped it. I spent $1500 on a custom build, installed it myself and it will be light years ahead of any factory audio. 401A also has memory seats and blind spot monitoring. The memory seats will scoot back a couple inches when you get out. I dont feel that I need that. Had blind spot monitoring on my previous car, didnt get it on the mustang, not missing it. Visibility in the stang is actually quite good for a coupe

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I skipped the 401A and just went with the 400A. Stereo sounds fine since I use Pandora, didn't need memory seats and Mustangs have a bad history of seat motors going bad, especially using them while seated, as designed. (SN95's failed miserably). Personally, I rarely adjust them while seated. Maybe an inch or two at most.
Navigation is on my phone, skipped that too.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
The panel fitment is an issue with pretty much all of the cars; these are pushed out to the masses with little regard to perfection in this area.

When it comes to the auto trans, I think you give up so much of the driving experience. Feeling, hearing, and experiencing the car is so much more rewarding with a manual but everyone has their reasons when it comes to trans selection.
I think the panel fitment thing is way overplayed. Some of the early cars were bad. SOme of what has been bitched about on the later cars is like, get out the microscope and tell me again what you think you see. My car, as with many, many others that have reported on here, is as perfect on panel fit as I can see.

And as to transmission, your last phrase says it all. Both transmissions are valid choices; people need to choose what they like. Neither choice "ruins" the car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Damn, a lot of people are getting GT's! I skipped the 401A as well. If you know a friend that works for Ford, you can get the X-plan pricing. I got my GT Premium OTD in NY for about $33.5k

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Damn, a lot of people are getting GT's! I skipped the 401A as well. If you know a friend that works for Ford, you can get the X-plan pricing. I got my GT Premium OTD in NY for about $33.5k

You don't need to know anyone that works for Ford to get an X Plan PIN. Simply join MCA (Mustang Club of America) for $50 & request an X Plan PIN. Or join the EAA ( Experimental Aircraft Association) for $40 and request an X Plan PIN.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
You don't need to know anyone that works for Ford to get an X Plan PIN. Simply join MCA (Mustang Club of America) for $50 & request an X Plan PIN. Or join the EAA ( Experimental Aircraft Association) for $40 and request an X Plan PIN.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
True!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
You touched on an interesting point, and it was part of my motivation to buy, and that's the "feel" of the car, the overall experience when driving it, and that's not just a matter of mechanical specifications. For me, there's something hypnotic about V8 domestics - it's some mix of heritage, sound, performance - it's something that's missing from BMW. Even the interior of a BMW tends to mirror the whole experience if that makes any sense. We've had 3 BMWs, I've driven in dozens of 135, 335, various M cars (3/5/X), on the street and on track, stock and modded, and at least in terms of street driving, none give me quite the same smile as the my GT (or my previous Z06 for that matter).

Anyway, enough of that ... :D

If you want something closer to an M-sport/M, and you don't intend to start tossing money at aftermarket suspension, then I'd highly suggest getting the GT Performance Package - for the money ($2495 MSRP), the upgrades are a steal:

• Strut-tower brace
• Larger radiator
• Unique chassis tuning
• Upsized rear sway bar
• Heavy-duty front springs
• Interior gauge pack (oil pressure and vacuum)
• K brace
• Brembo[emoji769] six-piston front brake calipers with larger rotors
• Unique 19” x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• Optional 19”x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Luster Nickel Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19(R) summer-only tires*
• Unique EPAS, ABS and stability control tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN[emoji768] rear axle

However, it is only available with a manual.

I second this. As a person who loves modding his cars, the PP upgrades are a steal at $2500. I got the base GT with the ONLY option being the Performance Package. I do wish I got the Premium with the PP just for the upgraded sound system which I had on my 2007 GT, oh and the leather Recaros are sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StangLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I skipped the 401A and just went with the 400A. Stereo sounds fine since I use Pandora, didn't need memory seats and Mustangs have a bad history of seat motors going bad, especially using them while seated, as designed. (SN95's failed miserably). Personally, I rarely adjust them while seated. Maybe an inch or two at most.
Navigation is on my phone, skipped that too.
The thing people miss here is navigation on your phone stops working where you lose cell service. I was glad to have car-based nav that only needs open sky a few weeks ago while driving in Arkansas. Those who think their phone will fully replace nav should consider this.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
The thing people miss here is navigation on your phone stops working where you lose cell service. I was glad to have car-based nav that only needs open sky a few weeks ago while driving in Arkansas. Those who think their phone will fully replace nav should consider this.
Moot point - you can cache maps via Google Maps or Nokia Here Maps for free. Nokia Here Maps lets you cache a whole state/country - it's free for Android/iOS/Windows Phone(Mobile). Plus, maps on your phone are constantly updated. Typical built-in car nav. systems don't have map update functionality. You could alternatively pick up a Garmin GPS for <$100 with lifetime map updates, which is also better than a built-in car nav. system.

If I need to use GPS (which I don't have on my Mustang), I use my phone. I play music via Bluetooth, so turn by turn directions are also played via the car speakers.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
I am also coming from a 2013 BMW 335i that I leased and will turn in when my GT Premium comes in next week. It's my 3rd 3 Series and they are no doubt great cars and fun to drive but just could never get into the engine sound. Same for the M's.. No thanks.

Things I will not miss about the BMW: RFT's-horrible, hard ride & dont ever hit a pothole. ASS- worst feature ever. Engine sound.

Things I will miss- handling- far better than the Mustang. 8 speed Auto-far better than the Mustang. Technology from NAV, auto mirrors, HUD, safety features like putting car in park if door is opened or car starts rolling back.

Only bought tires in 3 years as the everything included warranty is hard to beat. BMW lease rates also can't be beat. $570 a month including taxes with $900 down on a $58,000 MSRP car.

The GT interior is way more Sporty & I just think the GT is going to be a fun car to drive the next few years. Engine sound is what I wanted an Borla ATAKs will make it even better. Two different rides, both fun with good & bad.

nsquared

Versatile
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Switching from a 335i 6MT w/ M-Sport & Full M-performance and I'm excited to switch go the GT.

I will definitely miss the interior of the BMW, folding mirrors, moonroof but I honestly didn't find the F30 all that fun, even with the mods I had. Just didn't feel sporty enough. The biggest thing I will miss is the MPG. With Eco Pro, I get 400+ miles to my full fill up.

I did a long test drive w/ the GT and I find the GT to handle and brake better than the F30.
Sponsored