Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
If you're on track, it should really just be distilled water and something like Water Wetter to keep the pump happy and surface tension low. You'll gain a little in heat transfer, but boiling point shouldn't be an issue. The pressure in the system should address that concern.

One big problem with running coolant on track is losing coolant on track. That quickly makes a little problem a big problem and potentially for several cars.
That seems to vary a bit by region. I've been doing HPDE with various groups around the Midwest since 1997. I have never attended an event that required only water. Obviously, for racing, where the likelihood of vehicle to vehicle contact is great, water makes sense. For HPDE, it is overkill.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
yes, Camaro 6G SS/1LE and now the Mach1. :)

Trunk air is vastly cooler than boiling water but since the reservoirs are so small and closely coupled you hit heat saturation. We just need to figure out how to get the water coolant down to say 120-150F before it hits the oil cooler and engine on it's return trip. :) How many BTUs is that?

Hmm, could we marry a 2nd radiator to the underside of RaceLouvers? quick-connect hoses and mounted on stand-offs? Engine bay air is hot though but maybe we can duct some ala Mopar Shaker-hood mouldings?
The best solution is to substitute the front fascia with a 350 or gt500 replica. I'm trying to push a company to do the mach1 fascia(better shape on a gt)
So the you can have side pockets. In one you put a trans cooler in the other you go with second oil cooler.
And suddenly the radiator get fresh air.
I use 90 %water and 10% coolant +water wetter.
Oil 0w40 and 5w50 in summer time (cali weather)

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
How many people are in the group of people that had the car go wrench mode?

I found the line at Thunderhill trying to finish a hot lap.

It kind of sucked but hey, with great power comes great cooling requirements.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
On my 2015, I used my spare Whipple Stewart coolant pump to run a coolant rad fender well left side using stock oil to water exchanger. This allowed removing the stock lower rad venturi restriction that diverts partial flow thru the stock oil cooler.

right well had cobbed 2x stock trans cooler in parallel.
Whipple setup was dual fan before the largest IC became available.
rear hood coping open w HDepot aluminum gurney flap.
Sheet aluminum under entire front w slots for exhaust. Had some issue tearing screw heads thru aluminum sheet due to surprising forces. Lol. By the time I finished one iteration, I was ready to start all over.

Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
rear hood coping open
What do you mean by rear hood coping?

The front of the car and base of the windshield are high pressure areas. If you raise the back of the hood or remove the seal there then at speed air will get forced into the engine bay reducing airflow through the radiator.

Edit: Bad tech, see below.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What do you mean by rear hood coping?
The front of the car and base of the windshield are high pressure areas. If you raise the back of the hood or remove the seal there then at speed air will get forced into the engine bay reducing airflow through the radiator.
Walmart: Blue tape and yarn = $4

This was the 2015 Whippled at road courses in Texas.
At TWS (now closed) ran 160 in the old high bank oval dropping into turn 1. lots of fun.
The stock 2015 front end had all kinds of hood lift and vertical buffeting first outing.
I'm no rocket scientist, but having worked as a test engineer for tier ones and worked with some of Ford's test engineers, I was faiiiirly confident I was not the only one scratching my head.

The entire front clip was pulled apart and rebuilt dropping the nose an inch at the leading edge for aero. This also allowed the hood to be pulled down tight leaving a 1" fender lip longitudinal to help hold air on top of hood and not spill over sides. Fender supports were extended 0.8" pushing fenders out to fit the 305 wide front tires. I was running the 18x11 Apex BMW wheels before they made mustang specific hub center and lug pattern. Positive they hated my urging to cut for S550 hubs, lol. Redrilled front hubs and steel pattern adapter rear (cause rear stang hubs are spidered. doh..)

Our back edge of hood is actually too many inches forward of the windshield to be useful for intake air compression. I further added a gurney flap on the back lip of the hood to create a high vacuum area to vent the coping (cheaper then cutting up a good hood). Basically, if you vent perpendicular to high velocity air, it acts as a vacuum. The rear hood gurney will get you that.

The torn screw heads mentioned were from the cheap thin aluminum sheet getting pulled down from some experiments with too much positive pressure under hood.

A partial goal was decreasing hot exhaust and cat air up out the bay instead of down over trans and diff. The bell housing pulls so much heat from the block though its difficult to keep diff cool.
This was 18 months prior to the GT500 aero work, and before the 2018 GT came out with the one inch lower front end.

Get some blue tape and yarn and tell me what you see at 0 - 150...

Grab a beer and see what you notice in these picks.
Is that a built in gurney at the back of the hood?..
Is each vent of center hood function like a gurney to generate vacuum behind it?
Beer#2: are colors relative velocity or pressure?
Mustang-1.jpg

EVO_All_Cooling_-Z_View_No_Background.jpg
Mustang-2.jpg
Untitled.png
_MB_2537.jpg
Mustang-3.jpg

Last edited:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch

At TWS (now closed) ran 160 in the old high bank oval dropping into turn 1. lots of fun.
The stock 2015 front end had all kinds of hood lift and vertical buffeting first outing.
I'm no rocket scientist, but having worked as a test engineer for tier ones and worked with some of Ford's test engineers, I was faiiiirly confident I was not the only one scratching my head.

The entire front clip was pulled apart and rebuilt dropping the nose an inch at the leading edge for aero. This also allowed the hood to be pulled down tight leaving a 1" fender lip longitudinal to help hold air on top of hood and not spill over sides. Fender supports were extended 0.8" pushing fenders out to fit the 305 wide front tires. I was running the 18x11 Apex BMW wheels before they made mustang specific hub center and lug pattern. Positive they hated my urging to cut for S550 hubs, lol. Redrilled front hubs and steel pattern adapter rear (cause rear stang hubs are spidered. doh..)

Our back edge of hood is actually too many inches forward of the hood to be useful for intake air compression. I further added a gurney flap on the back lip of the hood to create a high vacuum area to vent the coping (cheaper then cutting up a good hood). Basically, if you vent perpendicular to high velocity air, it acts as a vacuum. The rear hood gurney will get you that.

The torn screw heads mentioned were from the cheap thin aluminum sheet getting pulled down from some experiments with too much positive pressure under hood.

A partial goal was decreasing hot exhaust and cat air up out the bay instead of down over trans and diff. The bell housing pulls so much heat from the block though its difficult to keep diff cool.
This was 18 months prior to the GT500 aero work, and before the 2018 GT came out with the one inch lower front end.

Is each vent of center hood function like a gurney to generate vacuum behind it?
Mustang-1.jpg

Mustang-2.jpg
Untitled.png
_MB_2537.jpg
Mustang-3.jpg
Thanks for sharing this great tech and stories!

I hadn't seen these images showing airflow through the GT500 engine bay before. It's impressive how well it was designed with the velocity from the beginning of the opening creating a pressure drop over the vent behind it.

I totally see the Gurney shape at the rear of the hood too.

Any pictures from your testing of this back in 2015?:beer:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You have 2019 so I think you might want 2018+ pics? I havent modded my 2018 yet but toying w the idea. Ideally, Id love to contribute to an open source grass roots “track pack” of aero and cooling mods aimed at base and PP GT retrofits to create a low cost 1SS 1LE. It’d be interesting to provide a test mull for adaptive/disability support as well.
if I had time in a bottle…

2015: There should be some pics of fender supports and modded front clip somewhere on here. Notes on front hub spacers studs etc.
There are some with ecoboost trunk lid and eco fenders (no 5.0 badges).
lol, fun stuff when peeps think they gonna walk an ecoboost. Gotta keep a straight face when you tell them ecoboost at 48psi…..

I really should have taken more pics but got distracted endurance racing the Audi. If I decide to keep the 2018 and track it, ill try n dump pics to a single album. It does get embarassing tearing up shit and doing things wrong 5 times and posting every iteration of mods. I feel “on the hook” for mods as well. Ie sheeting solid under the front end can result in serious lift if you “climb a wheel” grazing wheels during contact. Check out current NASCAR in front of firewall and expect open out the bottom. Im so time constrained now though Im tempted just to grab a GT500.
Anyone want an entire GT350 suspension front and rear. Includes k and subframe and steering rack and GT350 brake master cylinder and booster?
Spare set of PP front calipers? (bought for one weekend while waiting on rebuild seals for first set)
Tracking and modding is so addictive.

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima

Our back edge of hood is actually too many inches forward of the hood to be useful for intake air compression. I further added a gurney flap on the back lip of the hood to create a high vacuum area to vent the coping (cheaper then cutting up a good hood). Basically, if you vent perpendicular to high velocity air, it acts as a vacuum. The rear hood gurney will get you that.

Mustang-1.jpg

Mustang-2.jpg
Untitled.png
_MB_2537.jpg
Mustang-3.jpg

[/Q

Mustang-1.jpg

Mustang-2.jpg
Untitled.png
_MB_2537.jpg
Mustang-3.jpg
Best post I've ever seen.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Went through the whole tread but didn't seen this Triple Pass radiator mentioned anyware:

https://kennybrown.com/collections/cooling-s550/products/mustang-triple-pass-aluminum-radiator

A friend of mine installed it on it's GT350 and he is very happy with the result.

If I understand correctly the best solution for my car in terms of engine cooling will be to switch to GT350 Facia/Hood and do Tracspec vents.

Adding Triple Pass radiator and Oil cooler and CAI as well ?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase