Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Coming from a recent noise resolution here are what I can suggest:
1. Check trunk for loose items. Run the car with nothing in the back.
2. Check your wheel lugs and make sure they are at 150 ft lb.
3. Attach go pro under the car, on top of trunk, in wheel well to see if it is interior or exterior.
4. Do the wheel bearing test.
5. Speaker static? Is the noise regular or irregular with speed?

Magneride?
I've done all that and i don't have magneride.

this is definitely not anything electrical, it is a mechanical sound that happens in coordination with bumps.

I took the entire rear apart to look for this, add dynamat, and secure anything that was moving.
that actually helped some other things but not this particular noise.

I'm considering deleting the rear passenger airbags in a wild stab in the dark at that being the source of the noise.
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hey @Oakley the two problem areas that I have found that cause ticking sounds are

1) the back of the passenger seat (when nobody is sitting in the seat) going over bumps. You can put a book or something sturdy in the back seat pocket to strengthen it. Also something like a backpack, dog or bags of groceries placed on the seat seem to work as well since there is some weight pushing on the seat back holding it from shaking.

2) the corners of the rear seat backings - you have a coupe but I know on the convertibles the seat backing is fixed in place (can't fold down rear seats) so the latch that the seats are connected to will cause some rattling. I might advise you to take some silicone lube/wd40 and wipe the metal on the latches your seats clip on to. Might have something to do with that.

3) those seem to be the biggest culprits but if they aren't the source of the ticking I would have to guess that it is something in the plastic side walls or one of the clips got loose.

FYI all those buttheads giving you shit for this ticking noise are clowns and are not putting themselves in your shoes to understand what you are dealing with. Something like that is a huge annoyance and taking the car to the dealer for "warranty" repair doesn't do shit since they won't be able to figure our where the noise if coming from in 20 minutes. All they will do is say we couldn't find anything, here is your car... bye. Nothing will change. You need to pinpoint where that damn tick is and figure out what is causing it. Regardless if your car has 7k miles or 170k miles this would definitely ruin the experience of driving the car.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Coming from a recent noise resolution here are what I can suggest:
1. Check trunk for loose items. Run the car with nothing in the back.
2. Check your wheel lugs and make sure they are at 150 ft lb.
3. Attach go pro under the car, on top of trunk, in wheel well to see if it is interior or exterior.
4. Do the wheel bearing test.
5. Speaker static? Is the noise regular or irregular with speed?

Magneride?
y noise came from seat bockle when passenger seat was empty
So I've pushed seat buckle between console and seat to put pressure on it snd it stopped
Good luck

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Hey @Oakley the two problem areas that I have found that cause ticking sounds are

1) the back of the passenger seat (when nobody is sitting in the seat) going over bumps. You can put a book or something sturdy in the back seat pocket to strengthen it. Also something like a backpack, dog or bags of groceries placed on the seat seem to work as well since there is some weight pushing on the seat back holding it from shaking.

2) the corners of the rear seat backings - you have a coupe but I know on the convertibles the seat backing is fixed in place (can't fold down rear seats) so the latch that the seats are connected to will cause some rattling. I might advise you to take some silicone lube/wd40 and wipe the metal on the latches your seats clip on to. Might have something to do with that.

3) those seem to be the biggest culprits but if they aren't the source of the ticking I would have to guess that it is something in the plastic side walls or one of the clips got loose.

FYI all those buttheads giving you shit for this ticking noise are clowns and are not putting themselves in your shoes to understand what you are dealing with. Something like that is a huge annoyance and taking the car to the dealer for "warranty" repair doesn't do shit since they won't be able to figure our where the noise if coming from in 20 minutes. All they will do is say we couldn't find anything, here is your car... bye. Nothing will change. You need to pinpoint where that damn tick is and figure out what is causing it. Regardless if your car has 7k miles or 170k miles this would definitely ruin the experience of driving the car.
thanks man i'll try all that today. the thing is, i really love this car and i like driving it without a stereo on. i don't want a louder than stock exhaust.

dude, i was talking so much shit (quietly in a corner of while waiting for my car to get pulled around) when we were at the dealership after they did nothing to fix this my son goes "dad, you love ford why are you saying this about them?".

pause on that for a sec, that's how much i love ford, the history, all of it. enough for my son to know it.

so i say "well bud, when other kids act like jerks does it bother me?"

him "nope"

"but when you act like a jerk it bothers me, why do ya think that is?"

him "because you love me"

"exactly, i'm so frustrated precisely because of how much i like this company and what it used to be. i expect better than this."

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
It is a very unusual sound. Iā€™m still getting over my knock sound being gone. Itā€™s been a week and Iā€™m almost expecting it to be back anytime now as I lurch forwardā€¦..and if it does come back, I would be cursing like a mad man. For comparison, my 14 yo Rav 4 and 9 yo Ram truck don't have any noiseā€¦

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Very similar sound in my car from the seat buckle. I wedge the buckle up in the belt holder when not in use. Now I have another slight rattle from the folding back seat area. No way in hell Iā€™d let the dealer pull apart the inside of my car.

you think thatā€™s bad you should ride in a dodge product though - rattle trap doesnā€™t begin to describe it

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Have you tried driving with the rear seat backs flipped down?

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Have you tried driving with the rear seat backs flipped down?
yeah, its more pronounced when you do that. i also told the service guy that and he forgot.

i checked the tint, cut off any excess, buckled the seatbelts, and tomorrow i'll put some weight in the rear seats to see if that helps. so far, no change.

also, no word form the service guy i sent that video to.

I expect nothing and i'll have to end up fixing this myself. at this point i'd have been better off if they never touched the car to begin with. i noticed yesterday they scratched the steering wheel leather.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
yeah, its more pronounced when you do that. i also told the service guy that and he forgot.

i checked the tint, cut off any excess, buckled the seatbelts, and tomorrow i'll put some weight in the rear seats to see if that helps. so far, no change.

I expect nothing and i'll have to end up fixing this myself. at this point i'd have been better off if they never touched the car to begin with. i noticed yesterday they scratched the steering wheel leather.
Ok.on seat buckle you need to put pressure on it hence pushing it into the slot between console and seat

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport

If the noise is louder with the seat backs folded down, couldn't that mean the noise is from somewhere in the trunk itself since when the seats are up it blocks some of the sound?

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
If the noise is louder with the seat backs folded down, couldn't that mean the noise is from somewhere in the trunk itself since when the seats are up it blocks some of the sound?
BTW, just thought of something; maybe you could drive with the seats folded down and have someone lie in the back to see if they can isolate where it's coming from. Only issue is if rear passengers need to be belted, be sure no cops around when doing this.

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
BTW, just thought of something; maybe you could drive with the seats folded down and have someone lie in the back to see if they can isolate where it's coming from. Only issue is if rear passengers need to be belted, be sure no cops around when doing this.
that's what i'll be doing since the dealer has given me the tired old "well we can only fix what we can hear" despite riding in the car, hearing the noise, and sending it back with more rattles and squeeks than when they got it. I even sent them the video. last night i noticed noise from the driver's side in the back. so now, i have to go back and fix whatever shit they screwed up on THAT side.

I'm chuffing DONE with randall reed's planet ford. absolute trash. I'm convinced the problem is they have a dozen managers between the people that need/want stuff and the people doing the work.

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Something like this happened to me and it sounded like it was directly behind me. It's probably something around the wheel wheels or body of the car. Flood it to 70 and stomp on the brakes. It will dislodge anything rattling around.

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Dealer called me today and to his credit the service guy talked me into giving them another shot. kudos to him so monday morning i'm gonna go drive their best tech around and see what's what.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Dealer called me today and to his credit the service guy talked me into giving them another shot. kudos to him so monday morning i'm gonna go drive their best tech around and see what's what.
I hope that it goes well and those noises surface when the tech is riding with you. Even if they do, there might be a chance that the tech says they are just "normal" noises and won't do anything to help you out. šŸ˜’

Personally I would recommend getting a noise finder device if you have some cash to spare for it and diagnosing the location of the sound yourself. I found one on amazon and will include the link. These are great because they are actually for finding noises in the engine bay and exterior of the car to help find wear items fast but this should definitely work in the cabin to pinpoint the location of the squeaks and creaks you keep hearing. This "toy" is actually really useful to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-Pro...qah0gieNdyhfjjojE6LkJsmkpeBoCyxgQAvD_BwE&th=1
Sponsored