Sponsored

Supporting mods needed when boosting a Mustang GT

BrianTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys, currently I'm working on a 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Non Performance Pack) (6-Speed Automatic) and I'm installing a PAXTON 2200SL Supercharger using 94 Octane Pump Gas (Lund Tune). I'm running the stock 3.8" Pulley and 6 rib Belt, so I expect to make around 7.5-8.5 psi of boost.

Currently I'm using:
- NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs 6510 (LTR7IX-11) (Gapped to 0.028")
- ID1050x Fuel injectors
- Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
- JLT Cold Air Intake (Specific to fit the Supercharger)
- Stock 80mm Throttle Body
- Stock 3.31 Gears
- Indy 500s tires (275 front, 305 rear on 20' wheels)
- Stock 2015 intake manifold
- Oil Catch Can

It's rated for 630 HP and 483 lb/ft torque, but my question is, what supporting mods should I be considering to keep my boosted mustang safe?

I've not done my Oil Pump Gears or Crank Sprocket because of mixed opinions on if it's necessary (Plus I don't plan on banging redline constantly).
And I figured with the "Low" boost my factory drive shaft and half shafts will support the new power. Am I mistaken? What are they rated to handle and what else is necessary to keep her reliable?

Note: I take her on the 1/4 mile drag strip maybe once a month and track 2-4 times a year.
Sponsored

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Everything listed should be just fine. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I would take a look at half shafts tho.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
There is absolutely no decent data on the cooling mod. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't do anything to help cooling. There's a big thread on here about it if you search.

I would definitely look into half shafts if you go to the drags once a month. That's where they break. For a street car they aren't necessary.

OP
OP
BrianTea

BrianTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Everything listed should be just fine. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I would take a look at half shafts tho.
So I looked around a bit, and most people say that with street tires on a non-prepped surface I shouldn’t be able to generate enough torque that will kill my stock half shafts.

However, I am thinking of supporting my subframe to stop wheel hop which can also damage those half shafts.

Thinking of going with this kit:
https://steeda.ca/products/s550-mustang-stop-the-hop-starter-kit

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
For the street, on a street tire, the stock axles should be fine for a while. A stop the hop kit would be a supporting mod. Steeda, BMR, UPR all have great products for this.

Feel free to DM me or call with any questions!
Terry "Beefcake" Reeves
- 855-827-7223 -
www.beefcakeracing.com
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So I looked around a bit, and most people say that with street tires on a non-prepped surface I shouldn’t be able to generate enough torque that will kill my stock half shafts.

However, I am thinking of supporting my subframe to stop wheel hop which can also damage those half shafts.

Stock half shafts should be fine on a street tire. If you’re looking for a fairly inexpensive upgrade, FP sells the GT350 half shafts for a pretty decent price ($400-$500) and those can handle more hp and torque.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Recommend by the seller of that product?
Last I read, it was recommended in specific instances where the engine tends to get pretty hot but then doesn't have cool down laps (IE making passes at the drag strip but then sitting in staging lanes). Otherwise, guys on the street haven't noticed a benefit and the guys running road courses that have tried it have removed it later on. It also supposedly creates an issue with removing the CPS.

This was a while back though so this might be outdated info

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Last I read, it was recommended in specific instances where the engine tends to get pretty hot but then doesn't have cool down laps (IE making passes at the drag strip but then sitting in staging lanes). Otherwise, guys on the street haven't noticed a benefit and the guys running road courses that have tried it have removed it later on. It also supposedly creates an issue with removing the CPS.

This was a while back though so this might be outdated info
Lmk if you come across any data supporting that product.

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

it's really not even the torque, it's all the defection of that stock IRS causing wheel hop. Usually, the autos don't have as many issues vs a stick car. but all it takes is one hard hop, or one hard shift to leave you stranded.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Lmk if you come across any data supporting that product.
I probably won't because I'm not interested in running it. I was interested when it first released but based on what I read from personal accounts, not the manufacturer, it's serves me no benefit.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I probably won't because I'm not interested in running it. I was interested when it first released but based on what I read from personal accounts, not the manufacturer, it's serves me no benefit.
I got ya. You wouldn't come across any data anyway, as it does not exist.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
How about some better diff bolts / mounts ?

WD :like:
Sponsored