Sponsored

Steeda Testing with Koni - Active Suspension

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
So... sounds like this could work on 15-17 GT as well not just 2018s?
Yes I just called Koni and they said it would work with any 15-18. Said price point would be similar to the yellow sport (165-180 bucks) shocks they now sell, but didn't give an exact amount. I'm in as soon as they are available.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes I just called Koni and they said it would work with any 15-18. Said price point would be similar to the yellow sport (165-180 bucks) shocks they now sell, but didn't give an exact amount. I'm in as soon as they are available.
WOW, very cool. Nice job on getting that information! If this would work with my new BMR Handling springs it could be gamechanger as far as ride quality is concerned. I do love my FRPP dampers though so I wouldn't need them, but I may consider this in the future if it offers an even better ride quality and handling. It might do both actually even though the FRPP dampers do a very good job of controlling the body movements. Still it can't emulate an active system.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
WOW, very cool. Nice job on getting that information! If this would work with my new BMR Handling springs it could be gamechanger as far as ride quality is concerned. I do love my FRPP dampers though so I wouldn't need them, but I may consider this in the future if it offers an even better ride quality and handling. It might do both actually even though the FRPP dampers do a very good job of controlling the body movements. Still it can't emulate an active system.
He said it would work very well with the stock springs that I now have and in fact said the car they were testing with now was stock except for their active shocks. According to him (he was a technician) much smoother ride over bumps, but in spirited driving sacrifices no handling. I assume it would work with your set-up as well. Said they would be available around Christmas or before.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
He said it would work very well with the stock springs that I now have and in fact said the car they were testing with now was stock except for their active shocks. According to him (he was a technician) much smoother ride over bumps, but in spirited driving sacrifices no handling. I assume it would work with your set-up as well. Said they would be available around Christmas or before.
Cool. I'll wait to see how they work with the handling springs or wait to see if BMR decides to partner up with Koni for a customized setup. I kind of doubt BMR will do that because they are smaller volume operation than Steeda for example. But my springs are very high linear rate, much higher than stock rates. 250 lb/in front, 980 lb/in rear.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Koni has offered the FSD Technology Shock & Struts for BMW, VW & Audi for about 10 years. FSD Technology is not new for Koni it is just new for the S550 Mustang. I had FSD Shocks & Struts on a BMW e46 330ci and i really liked them. The ride quality was more than excellent and the handling was similar to the Koni yellows that I had on the car previously. I look forward to this release and will probably order them as soon as they available.

Sponsored

PFogle05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT PP
How are they controlling the shocks??? Or how does the driver adjust

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You don't adjust and there is no controller. It is all automagically done with the shocks.

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
Very interested! Can't wait to see what it's like.

Hotlaprc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
is there an ETA on release date?

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@ SteedaTech am I right in thinking these will still need be matched to a particular spring rate? If so, what rate would that be? Will there be a direct correlation between spring rates suitable for the active system and spring rates suitable for say the Steeda fixed dampers or will the active system provide a different result for a given spring?

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Subscribed, was going to order the progressives and shocks/struts but now I will wait for these to come out.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
The shocks and struts will not be available until the first quarter of 2019. They should pair up with the general lowering springs on the market.
For on track events and higher spring rates not recommended.
Steeda Tech

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@SteedaTech so is it correct then to say the valving and spring rates do not need to be matched, contrary to current practice, and we simply change the spring rate to suit the purpose from 'full comfort' to 'track'?

Sorry I'm not sure what 'For on track events and higher spring rates not recommended' means.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The shocks and struts will not be available until the first quarter of 2019. They should pair up with the general lowering springs on the market.
For on track events and higher spring rates not recommended.
Steeda Tech
So you're saying that these active shocks are more for the street, eg to replace the orange ones while the yellows are still the track version?

What makes these perform not so well on the track or with high spring rates?
Sponsored