moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hey Gang,

So about a year ago, I got an MGW shifter installed and absolutely love how much it's ironed out a lot of problems with the MT82. Almost no more nibbles and rattles from the stick, and I love the way it looks with the GT350R shifter from CJPP.

However, helping that issue has shifted my focus on to the stock clutch and its pitfalls. We all know the engagement can be pretty wonky, and I actually started having a pretty deliberate creak when I depress the clutch, but it's intermittent. Regardless, the linked thread says that even with lubrication of the assembly, a snap is likely imminent.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/creaky-clutch-pedal.87790/

With that in mind, I'm thinking of having the dealer replace the whole pedal assembly at the next oil change. How much good would it do to have them install a clutch spring from Steeda instead of the OEM one? I've had many people recommend one to me. Is just the spring enough, or would I need more parts to make engagement more linear?

FWIW, my build is more of a cruiser than a track ripper. That being said, even though I daily mine in downtown Chicago in the summers, I could live with a heavier spring for the sake of smoother engagement.
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch spring works well. I would get the spring perch for it as well to replace the factory plastic one. It takes about 5 minutes to swap it out yourself, so I can't see needing the dealer to do it.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I actually started having a pretty deliberate creak when I depress the clutch, but it's intermittent.
I had an intermittent creak, put lithium grease on the perch where it slots into place, no more creak

OP
OP
moose13

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You can also go with a spring from McMaster-Carr. Cheaper than the Steeda spring and not as stiff.
Part#: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steeda-clutch-spring-better.173206/post-3559037
Pics: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steeda-clutch-spring-better.173206/post-3559918

I have the Steeda spring and I will never go back. The perch is not necessary unless you meat-fist the install and break the perch. Compress the spring enough with regular vise grips and it literally falls out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
moose13

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You can also go with a spring from McMaster-Carr. Cheaper than the Steeda spring and not as stiff.
Part#: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steeda-clutch-spring-better.173206/post-3559037
Pics: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steeda-clutch-spring-better.173206/post-3559918

I have the Steeda spring and I will never go back. The perch is not necessary unless you meat-fist the install and break the perch. Compress the spring enough with regular vise grips and it literally falls out.
I get that, but I think the perch might be the root of my creaking noise. I tend to lean towards getting the full kit just because I trust Steeda more than the OEM.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mine did it after my clutch mod and the system was bled. It disappeared after the first drive. Here’s a video to see if this is what you guys are experiencing.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I get that, but I think the perch might be the root of my creaking noise. I tend to lean towards getting the full kit just because I trust Steeda more than the OEM.
To address the sqeuak/creak, I'd start with the most simple possible fix first - get a little tube of white lithium grease and lube the perch in two spots: where the two halves of the perch intersect, and where the perch mounts into the channel at the clutch pedal assembly.

This the stock perch and spring out of my GT350 that I took out the day of delivery. You can see where they're lubed at the factory

144768CC-7019-4465-962C-413CF1CAD211.jpeg

C52BA3A8-6943-4694-BB9D-A57B10BC4915.jpeg

Of course, your issue may be something else but this "fix" is an easy one to try.

OP
OP
moose13

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
To address the sqeuak/creak, I'd start with the most simple possible fix first - get a little tube of white lithium grease and lube the perch in two spots: where the two halves of the perch intersect, and where the perch mounts into the channel at the clutch pedal assembly.

This the stock perch and spring out of my GT350 that I took out the day of delivery. You can see where they're lubed at the factory

144768CC-7019-4465-962C-413CF1CAD211.jpeg

C52BA3A8-6943-4694-BB9D-A57B10BC4915.jpeg

Of course, your issue may be something else but this "fix" is an easy one to try.
That makes plenty of sense. I still lean towards just going with the beefier aftermarket perch because I am replacing the spring either way, and I've been driving on the squeaker for about a year now. It seems like the most thorough way of killing two birds with one stone and worth the combo they sell for ~$100.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
No squeak/creak with mine yet I’m 3 years on the stock perch. Maybe I got lucky. FWIW, everything I’ve had a squeak that I sprayed with Royal Purple Maxfilm has yet to squeak again..even house door hinges that I sprayed a good 10 years ago.

OP
OP
moose13

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Mine did it after my clutch mod and the system was bled. It disappeared after the first drive. Here’s a video to see if this is what you guys are experiencing.

Thanks for the video for reference. Mine hasn't done it for awhile actually, but it sounds more like a creak than a squeak like yours, if that makes sense.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks for the video for reference. Mine hasn't done it for awhile actually, but it sounds more like a creak than a squeak like yours, if that makes sense.
Copy that. That is also the Steeda clutch spring and perch installed. everything worked perfectly and the squeak cleared right up after the first drive.

OP
OP
moose13

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No squeak/creak with mine yet I’m 3 years on the stock perch. Maybe I got lucky. FWIW, everything I’ve had a squeak that I sprayed with Royal Purple Maxfilm has yet to squeak again..even house door hinges that I sprayed a good 10 years ago.
Yeah, it's not a problem everyone has had. For all the problems the MT82 has, this actually seems like a fairly uncommon one.

Tib

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The clutch spring works well. I would get the spring perch for it as well to replace the factory plastic one. It takes about 5 minutes to swap it out yourself, so I can't see needing the dealer to do it.
Yep, I did both. Super easy and one of the best instant feeling mods on the cheap.
Sponsored