Steeda Clutch Spring - Better?

2fast2focus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andres
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
The steeda spring was one of my favorite mods in my old 2017 Focus RS, so when I picked up a 2017 GT it was the first mod I ordered. That being said, I think I’m in the minority here because I don’t feel like the clutch pedal is as bad in the m1 so I’m on the fence.

if anyone is having trouble with the install, the CJ pony parts install video is what I used on my 2017 GT. Needle nosed vice grips made the job easy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Last edited:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
That being said, I think I’m in the mentors here because I don’t feel like the clutch pedal is as bad in the m1 so I’m on the fence.
After having driven first 220 km with Steeda spring (and having 2200 km prior with the factory spring), I can see why someone can consider it as a major upgrade while someone else at the same time will not mind it all.

The one solid impression from the first ride was that I really did not notice anything unusual or different about the new spring. It just felt very natural.
The other impression (after giving it more thoughts) was that it felt natural, because it was just better.

There is a hump of the back pressure from the pedal at the first 1/3 of the trajectory on the factory solution. This is not problem when pressing the pedal, but it would bite me on every release, because it actuates around the same position when the clutch starts biting.

I can imagine that if you have already trained you muscle memory to catch this you have no problem with the factory behavior. If you however are new to this, the uneven pedal force just makes the clutch release unintuitive because instead of looking for the bite point, you have to look for the sudden surge from the pedal.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I can imagine that if you have already trained you muscle memory to catch this you have no problem with the factory behavior. If you however are new to this, the uneven pedal force just makes the clutch release unintuitive because instead of looking for the bite point, you have to look for the sudden surge from the pedal.
This!! I had to learn how to feel the engagement vs knowing where to catch it. Once I figure out I just let out until the computer started giving it gas it's been a breeze. I was struggling at first.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I bought the Steeda Clutch Spring even though my car is still in production..... lol
Drop it off at Flat Rock, they can install it for you, so you have it when the car is ready. :like: :crackup:

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Has anyone found out why Ford didn’t use a lighter clutch spring? Not that it’s needed in my case now just curious if there is some technical, wear related or other reason.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drop it off at Flat Rock, they can install it for you, so you have it when the car is ready. :like: :crackup:
Make sure they don’t give it to the people who install the doors, headlights or taillights . :cwl:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
lol, Man I already bought like a list of things. I should go drop it off thanks for the tip.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After having driven first 220 km with Steeda spring (and having 2200 km prior with the factory spring), I can see why someone can consider it as a major upgrade while someone else at the same time will not mind it all.

The one solid impression from the first ride was that I really did not notice anything unusual or different about the new spring. It just felt very natural.
The other impression (after giving it more thoughts) was that it felt natural, because it was just better.

There is a hump of the back pressure from the pedal at the first 1/3 of the trajectory on the factory solution. This is not problem when pressing the pedal, but it would bite me on every release, because it actuates around the same position when the clutch starts biting.

100% correct. Once you get used to it no problem. Took me a while to put the arcing action and the clutch bite together. You’re right. I think they were trying to be helpful but it ended up weird until you realize it isn’t.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Just installed the Steeda clutch stop and spring this weekend. I was NOT inclined to do this change as honestly, I thought the clutch was just fine as-is. The Mustang is the first manual trans car I've had that had anything stronger than a bare-minimum spring to get the clutch pedal to its resting point.
Now that I've driven with the lighter spring, I can tell the immediate difference. Yes, it's significantly better. I suppose the best comparison is it's like anything else that's over-assisted. Too much power steering assist, too much power-brake assist and in this case too much clutch assist. They all spoil to some extent the true feel of the steering, brakes or in this case the clutch release point as the pedal is also competing with the spring rate of that stiff spring. I really had not been inclined to believe it could be much better, but it is. Pedal is perhaps 30% stiffer over-all but not bad at all and well worth the trade-off for better clutch release and engagement feel.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Just installed the Steeda clutch stop and spring this weekend. I was NOT inclined to do this change as honestly, I thought the clutch was just fine as-is. The Mustang is the first manual trans car I've had that had anything stronger than a bare-minimum spring to get the clutch pedal to its resting point.
Now that I've driven with the lighter spring, I can tell the immediate difference. Yes, it's significantly better. I suppose the best comparison is it's like anything else that's over-assisted. Too much power steering assist, too much power-brake assist and in this case too much clutch assist. They all spoil to some extent the true feel of the steering, brakes or in this case the clutch release point as the pedal is also competing with the spring rate of that stiff spring. I really had not been inclined to believe it could be much better, but it is. Pedal is perhaps 30% stiffer over-all but not bad at all and well worth the trade-off for better clutch release and engagement feel.
This is like being lured into one of those infomercials knowing you can live without it but all the hype is killing you to try it. Damn it! Now I am going to buy it!!!😃

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
Haha yeah, I just bit the bullet and ordered the steeda spring as well. The stock spring really does make that bite point hard to find.

I am kind of tempted to give the McMaster spring a shot, I order quite a bit of stuff through them at/for work anyhow.. hell might even have one of those springs laying around somewhere, haha.

Will see how the steeda feels and then see.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Yea, I am trying to figure out if I should just go with the spring instead of the assy. Is there any difference if you get just the spring?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Yea, I am trying to figure out if I should just go with the spring instead of the assy. Is there any difference if you get just the spring?
Technically, you need only the spring. Then you accidentally trash your "perch" while doing the swap (prepare yourself for a lot of fun :)), and would think why I did not order the full assembly. Of course, if you order all of it right away, you won't need it :wink:.

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
Haha yeah I ordered just the spring, hopefully I don't need to go back and get the perch once it's here lol.
Sponsored