Steeda Clutch Spring - Better?

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
wonder what happens if / when you ever have to bleed the clutch lines with the lighter spring or no spring. I've had to bleed clutch slave & master cylinders from other cars before and it's a PIA when the pedal just goes to the floor until you can get the air in the lines out.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
wonder what happens if / when you ever have to bleed the clutch lines with the lighter spring or no spring. I've had to bleed clutch slave & master cylinders from other cars before and it's a PIA when the pedal just goes to the floor until you can get the air in the lines out.
I have a leftover upgrade from my previous build I saved for my Mach 1 with a McLeod stainless steel clutch line with a bleeder on it for that reason.

conza03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Con
Vehicle(s)
2021 S550 GT
Is a broken perch something to look out for? I can’t remember ever hearing about one. Does the likelihood increase with a steeda spring?
No one answered your question. The answer is no the Steeda spring is actually a lot softer than the stock spring and therefore easier on your perch. But as others have said, just replace the spring and perch in one simple go and move on to your next mod.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm buying this mod today. 20% off at the moment. Get the perch because the stock one is junk. The Steeda piece is much sturdier.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying this mod today. 20% off at the moment. Get the perch because the stock one is junk. The Steeda piece is much sturdier.
Great choice!

Sponsored

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1, '71 Mach 1, '00 SLK-230, '73 Opel GT
Really? You guys are having trouble with the clutch pedal on a new Mach 1? I stalled mine once and then I figured it out. It's kinda mushy compared to the 3000lb. McCleod mechanical setup that I had in my '73 Mach 1 but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Does that Steeda thing make it MUCH better?

OP
OP
Tshenberg

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
Really? You guys are having trouble with the clutch pedal on a new Mach 1? I stalled mine once and then I figured it out. It's kinda mushy compared to the 3000lb. McCleod mechanical setup that I had in my '73 Mach 1 but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Does that Steeda thing make it MUCH better?
Not "trouble" per se, just difficult to find the bite point in the OEM , the feel is a bit strange. The Steeda spring, to me, let's you feel the engage point easier and shifts are smoother when letting out the clutch. IMO, and many other.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Think of it as improving the feel more than struggling. You'll feel the engagement a lot better and have a lot of smooth take offs from a stop. The stock spring is so heavy and this lightens it up just enough to stiffen up the pedal more without removing it completely.

jrpav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1, '71 Mach 1, '00 SLK-230, '73 Opel GT
Ah right the spring is an "assist" so a lighter one will actually increase pedal pressure and give a better feel. Makes sense.

Actually in my '73 the clutch was more of a "digital' control. I just tached the motor to 5 or 6 grand and side-stepped the clutch most of the time. Since my '21 doesn't have a 9" rear I'm trying to be more genle with it.

Sponsored

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I just installed the Steeda spring and perch today and so far I'm a fan.

The reason I tried the lighter spring is I've had several "really is that how the clutch is today?" moments, where I felt like the engagement point/characteristic changed from day to day. Not in a big way, just enough for me to notice that after 3 months I was still getting surprised by the clutch sometimes. It seems like the clutch had a trebuchet action right at the engagement point which got me from time to time.

Anyway, I really like how the lighter spring makes that last few degrees of clutch motion more controllable. Defintely worth a try!

Ragamuffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 manual Mach 1
The Mach 1 was my first manual car to own. Before I picked it up, I drove my buddy's Miata a few times. I found the clutch very smooth and finding the bite point was easy. On my Mach 1 I have about 800 miles on the one I'm driving now. The clutch felt very "deep" when compared to the Miata, and when releasing the clutch the force felt very uneven. At the first half of release it would release with authority, and felt softer on the last half. This made me occasionally have rough shifts and made the Stop/Go frustrating at times.

I installed the Steeda spring two days ago, and the difference is staggering. The force the spring releases is consistent throughout, and I am able to find the bite point much easier. It was immediately noticeable to me, and took about 3 minutes to install. It is much more in-line with what I experienced on the Miata. For me, the upgrade would have been worth it at triple the cost. I'm very pleased with it.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Who would have thought ... such a small investment with huge returns!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this is how you lure them in... Then they see all of your other products they didn't know they needed... Ask me how I know. 😛
It's amazing a spring can make such a huge change. Another that's usually referred to as a decorative piece when installed.
Is the hood release, more functional than bling.
Sponsored