SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I was almost ready to buy coil overs from steeda and they kinda talked me out of them and into the pro action adjustables. Haven’t installed them yet, can’t decide on springs. Car is mainly my DD, go to the strip about twice a month but don’t want to completely give up cornering ability if I ever wanted to try auto cross.

Was thinking about their minimum drop (.5) 200/800 but they said the 150/800 rates of the drag springs would transfer weight better, harsh ride is a non issue but I was surprised to hear the drag springs would ride rougher than the minimum drop having softer fronts. Kinda leaning towards the Bmr SPD763 set since it’s all the same except a 7/8 front drop compared to Steeda’s 1.25 drop, same rates 150/800, both .5 rear drop.

Suggestions?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was almost ready to buy coil overs from steeda and they kinda talked me out of them and into the pro action adjustables. Haven’t installed them yet, can’t decide on springs. Car is mainly my DD, go to the strip about twice a month but don’t want to completely give up cornering ability if I ever wanted to try auto cross.

Was thinking about their minimum drop (.5) 200/800 but they said the 150/800 rates of the drag springs would transfer weight better, harsh ride is a non issue but I was surprised to hear the drag springs would ride rougher than the minimum drop having softer fronts. Kinda leaning towards the Bmr SPD763 set since it’s all the same except a 7/8 front drop compared to Steeda’s 1.25 drop, same rates 150/800, both .5 rear drop.

Suggestions?
I definitely have more spring rate in the front than 150, I chose handling everything. The rear rate of 800 isn't going to hurt anything. It will just be less floaty more plush with the right spring/shock combo.

I run because of coilovers you can get the camber you want very easily. Dunno why they would say not to get them unless the rate is too aggressive.

Height adjustability can hurt other things if you get it too low or too high but I'd rather have it than not.

Last edited:

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I think I was more like them saying for what I do I could save money and I also am not familiar with corner balancing nor have the scales to do so for hight adjustable stuff.

Anyone have info on the 150 vs 200 front spring rate? Curious how much it would effect cornering and launching. Is different enough that the drag springs cost half a g on the skid pad and the minimum drops be a second slower 60ft? Just wish I knew how much of a difference there is between the 2

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think I was more like them saying for what I do I could save money and I also am not familiar with corner balancing nor have the scales to do so for hight adjustable stuff.

Anyone have info on the 150 vs 200 front spring rate? Curious how much it would effect cornering and launching. Is different enough that the drag springs cost half a g on the skid pad and the minimum drops be a second slower 60ft? Just wish I knew how much of a difference there is between the 2
Spring rate does effect and loading of the actual struts and shocks. For cornering a too soft of a spring rate will cause the shock or strut to go into the stroke too early and case the car to either be unsettled (especially if the dampening isn't user controlled or automatic.) after braking of mid corner when the damper is in rebound.

Ride height also affects how much a damper has in the stroke. Drag racing is completely different animal. The setup is different because the weight transfer is front to back. The alignment should be much different as well.

So yes depending on how your car is setup you can have a shitty 60ft or low cornering grip. This is why they sell that "drag spring" separately from the fronts, because if you run coils in the front you can fine tune the suspension for either drag racing or handling much easier given if you have the right parts and tools to quickly modify the set up.

I'm not a guru on suspension but the drops on those springs are nearly identical, and the spring rates are as well. Set up will play more of a factor than the actual parts.

Also I wouldn't recommend progressive rate springs. I don't like progressive spring rates the way they feel and the they react to more loading if you need to go to make corrections mid corner.

Anyway you will need to decide where you want to go with the car. Some people still run good times with a factory suspension car at the drag strip. I wouldn't change a whole lot unless your chasing big time ETs. If your going for handling there is more to be gained by suspension alterations to that end.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
After 3 years with the DR springs and adj pro-actions, I'm going to try something different with the gt and the 2 day old ecoboost.

The eco is going to use bmr spo83 fronts on the pro action and stock rear spring mated to bilstein.

The gt I'm testing Fortune Auto coilovers with 275 spring and the rear DR spring is coming out in favor of a sub 1000 spring. Maybe as low as 800

The DR springs aren't really. The lower rate is in effect when the car is rebounded past it's natural equilibrium point. You get 0.25 inch worth of travel in the lower rate before you engage the 350/1200 rate and those values should be considered their natural rates.

Louva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP
Any suggestions on lowering springs for a 2021 Mach 1 Handling Package ?
Can't seem to find anything on the internet.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda and bmr have a set for you

Louva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP
Steeda and bmr have a set for you
I've been to their sites and I've seen their MagneRide compatible springs but there's no mention of Mach 1 anywhere and I'd like to at least know what drop could be expected compared to my handling pack springs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would call them. Only way to be sure. Steeda has a HP car in the fleet

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've been to their sites and I've seen their MagneRide compatible springs but there's no mention of Mach 1 anywhere and I'd like to at least know what drop could be expected compared to my handling pack springs.
I'd maybe be interested to take a stab at these and then do what you need to do to make the dampers match, but my opinion is worth about as much as you've paid for it. These Whiteline springs are similar in stiffness to your stock springs, but an inch lower. That might not be enough rate for you.

https://whitelineperformance.com/products/wsk-frd011-coil-springs-lowered

Louva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP
I'd maybe be interested to take a stab at these and then do what you need to do to make the dampers match, but my opinion is worth about as much as you've paid for it. These Whiteline springs are similar in stiffness to your stock springs, but an inch lower. That might not be enough rate for you.

https://whitelineperformance.com/products/wsk-frd011-coil-springs-lowered
Thanks for the suggestion! These are akin more to the non HP spring rates from what I can gather.
Could be a viable option if I don't have to change other suspension components. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible just drop it a tiny bit as it sits a tad too high for my taste.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the springs and bars from the FP kit are still an upgrade for the M1 HP :like:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

Note the wording :

1652301859898.png

I know for sure that the spring rates are higher and bar diameters are larger than the M1 HP.

Might be worth a call to FP to double check suitability / that it ticks the boxes you are looking for :like:

WD :like:

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
1652302128736.png

I spoke with the tech-line, Matt I think, he confirmed this is the springs they run on Darios HP Mach,. The video is on youtube.

Louva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP
Thank you guys! Was initially looking at the FP and Steeda Dual Rate springs.
Anyone knows the spring rates for the FP ones ?