So, steppin’ out?

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Hmmm so I'm doing track but I joined SCCA and they host Autocross too. I'll check into that too.
My region hosts a school in early spring. Slots tend to fill up fast for it. It’s nice to have an instructor for the day plus you get a lot more seat time vs normal events.
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’ve honestly never had a problem. The car does what you tell it to do. It’s not some magical car that defies the laws of physics. Personally I’ve never felt like I’m not in control of the car and I always drive with traction control off. The one time I was caught off guard was turning out of a parking garage with cold tires and all you really have to do with these cars is let off the throttle and let esc do it’s thing when you start sliding and it corrects almost immediately.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I took a pro driving course about 10 years ago (can't believe how long ago it was), that was one of the funnest days of my life. At the end I was approved to take the SCCA test to allow me to go on any track during open lapping sessions. I never took that test, there isn't a track near enough to make to it feasible and I don't have the budget to own a track only car. Going down the rabbit hole of making the car faster yet still being able to drive it comfortably wasn't realistic. Leaving it stock wasn't much of an option because you'd really be in the way of the other guys so I didn't pursue it any further. But I would highly recommend a course like that to everyone.

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Im going to disagree with all you "Expert Drivers" on here. I have had 5 different mustangs over the past 20 years. Ranging from 230hp to 750rwhp terminator. My 2017, when stock had a completely unpredictable rear end. If the tires spun at all you had no idea if it was going to kick right or left, I thought it was terrible. All my previous cars were easy to control and were very predictable when doing a burn out or spinning the tires. Part of the problem could be that this is my first auto mustang when it starts to spin it up shifts and then increases wheel speeds where as all my previous mustangs were manual. However since I have installed the full Steeda Stop the Hop Ultimate kit things have improved TREMENDOUSLY in this department.
I second this, the IRS lockout from BMR and stiffer suspension gives you much more feel coming from the rear of the car. The stock suspension was very unpredictable but I don't think it ever was a safety issue unless I was really pushing the car.

That being said, this is the least sketchy RWD car I have driven, rain or snow. Unless there is really slick ice, it takes some real effort to hang such a heavy car when driving around normally.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I’ve honestly never had a problem. The car does what you tell it to do. It’s not some magical car that defies the laws of physics. Personally I’ve never felt like I’m not in control of the car and I always drive with traction control off. The one time I was caught off guard was turning out of a parking garage with cold tires and all you really have to do with these cars is let off the throttle and let esc do it’s thing when you start sliding and it corrects almost immediately.
17, I think you need to give up this line of thinking.

You’ll never get anywhere trying to use common sense when emotion and internet BS are so much closer at hand.

Sponsored

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
Im going to disagree with all you "Expert Drivers" on here. I have had 5 different mustangs over the past 20 years. Ranging from 230hp to 750rwhp terminator. My 2017, when stock had a completely unpredictable rear end. If the tires spun at all you had no idea if it was going to kick right or left, I thought it was terrible. All my previous cars were easy to control and were very predictable when doing a burn out or spinning the tires. Part of the problem could be that this is my first auto mustang when it starts to spin it up shifts and then increases wheel speeds where as all my previous mustangs were manual. However since I have installed the full Steeda Stop the Hop Ultimate kit things have improved TREMENDOUSLY in this department.
Another reason why automatic transmissions should be banned in performance vehicles!
Then only the “experts” could drive the fun cars...

That was sarcasm folks. I’m not an expert but I do pay attention while driving and try to stay within my skill level.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
17, I think you need to give up this line of thinking.

You’ll never get anywhere trying to use common sense when emotion and internet BS are so much closer at hand.
You’re right, i’m sorry I hadn’t taken my 6th booster shot yet, what I meant to say was Tesla Good Mustang Bad.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My rear end breaks loose sometimes, but that's when it is very cold out (like 20) and those PZeros kind of suck. No issues at all in warmer temperatures. When it breaks loose it is rather sudden and unexpected. My other cars always gave lots of warning.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My rear end breaks loose sometimes, but that's when it is very cold out (like 20) and those PZeros kind of suck. No issues at all in warmer temperatures. When it breaks loose it is rather sudden and unexpected. My other cars always gave lots of warning.
What were some of the other cars you’re referencing and did any make power similar to your Mustang?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I've had mine step out on more than one occasion however, its predictable in that the rear end always steps to the right. I will admit I've had backside pucker a couple of times when its happened. This is with all nannies on default. The car definitely lets you get out there some even with the nannies fully on.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine step out on more than one occasion however, its predictable in that the rear end always steps to the right. I will admit I've had backside pucker a couple of times when its happened. This is with all nannies on default. The car definitely lets you get out there some even with the nannies fully on.
Yeah mine prefers to step to my right too.

In drag strip mode with TC off and ESC on, the main difference I get is no bog on the A10’s 1-2 and 2-3 upshift. Left on the TC seems to cut power quickly when I start spinning during those shifts.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think it's mostly drivers who don't know how to control a slide. I'm not an expert by any means, I know my limits, but I know when to lift in a sticky oversteer situation unlike most of the Cars and Coffee Mustang tools showing off and crashing into or nearly into crowds. I remember one high speed shift in drag mode in my 2018 GT PP1 A10 on a cool night where the tires broke loose on the 3-4 shift (around 75-80 mph). Tail started to come out a little but thankfully it didn't get sideways.

The hardware is also not as forgiving, given the GT has numb steering (lack of feedback), and the wheelbase isn't exceptionally long (107" on a 188+ inch long car), which combined add to be a little less forgiving for those aforementioned inexperienced drivers.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
When I took the GTs for test drives I went snow mode from the start because I know for certain I don't have the millisecond reflex or correction modulation ability in that several millisecond instance.
The gas pedal is not an on/off switch.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
This. Travel a lot for work and get to ride in rentals with many different co workers. To include my non "car guy" friends, in my experience the majority do tend to use the pedals as on/off switches. My GT has been the easiest 460hp I've ever driven! With the nannies and mechanical engineering behind it, I find it really hard to get even close to the realm of losing control. Also, as said, it's freaking January aka dial up your vehicle respect season. Tires make the biggest difference, don't put a $300 set of tires on your $35,000+ 460hp car and expect to win the F1 interstate rat race in crappy weather. Leave your stooopid device in your pocket and drive your damn car! And yes it felt great to type that last bit lol. I wish you all safe travels and all the smiles per mile.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding what you mean here, but if you get in trouble with the back end at fairly low speed the gas pedal is kind of an on/off switch. Come off the pedal and the car normally straightens up. I’ve never understood why this is such a difficult concept, like that guy in the video of the blue car earlier in this thread. Why did he stay in it?

I personally usually find it easier to stay in the throttle and drive out of it, but that’s just me. Up until starting this thread I thought I was just an average driver with old guy reflexes but reading some of this stuff makes me wonder if I’m not exceptional. Either that or a lot of GT owners are very young and just never had a car’s ass end come around on them.
Sponsored