Sponsored

So I locked myself out of my car on Valentine's weekend....

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red
I guess the consensus so far is that I accidentally hit the button. That was a $125 dollar mistake, btw :) Well, $25 as the insurance covered the other $100. The locksmith / tow guy had to drive an hour away to get to us, and they were super expensive. I think in the future I'm going to use the "proximity trick" and NEVER leave the keys in the car.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I guess the consensus so far is that I accidentally hit the button. That was a $125 dollar mistake, btw :) Well, $25 as the insurance covered the other $100. The locksmith / tow guy had to drive an hour away to get to us, and they were super expensive. I think in the future I'm going to use the "proximity trick" and NEVER leave the keys in the car.
Except how would you have done that?

You had the fob in the cup holder. Had the doors been locked before you got out, would the door have even opened (I need to test this)? If it did open, it would have been unlocked at that point. If it didn't open, you would have had to manually unlock it first.

Unless you didn't actually close the door when you got in to start it.

Could just try it again (with an extra fob handy) and see what happens.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Yeah, I never leave my keys in the car. I deal with the honks they few times I've done it.

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red

I didn't close the door when I started the car. I just opened the door, sat down, foot on the break and clutch, started, turned on the heat and heaters, and put the keys in the tray (this is where I possibly hit the button). Then I closed the door and waited for the girl.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Except how would you have done that?

You had the fob in the cup holder. Had the doors been locked before you got out, would the door have even opened (I need to test this)? If it did open, it would have been unlocked at that point. If it didn't open, you would have had to manually unlock it first.

If he closed the door and accidentally ran his finger over the door-lock sensor on the top of the exterior door handle, I could certainly see it happening.

This is my fear every time I take my car to the car wash, and have to leave the keys inside so that it doesn't auto-lock while it goes through the mechanical washing mechanism. I leave the keys in the cupholder and just hope nobody accidentally touches that ridged surface. Should probably start bringing my second key along with me to the car wash.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
If he closed the door and accidentally ran his finger over the door-lock sensor on the top of the exterior door handle, I could certainly see it happening.

This is my fear every time I take my car to the car wash, and have to leave the keys inside so that it doesn't auto-lock while it goes through the mechanical washing mechanism. I leave the keys in the cupholder and just hope nobody accidentally touches that ridged surface. Should probably start bringing my second key along with me to the car wash.
I will have to test, but I don't think you can lock the car in that case - pretty sure it is smart enough to know the keys are still in the car (and not with you) and won't lock using the raised ridges.

Otherwise, as mentioned earlier, you could have someone unlock your car while you are sitting in it. That would not be a good thing.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I can't lock the doors with keys inside while the engine is running or not. I've tried while the key fob is inside the car, I touch the door lock from outside and it won't lock.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
My key never leaves my hip. I have it on a carabiner hooked to the belt loop on my pants.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In the OP's situation, he likely got in, and locked it unintentionally. Likely after opening the door to get out, otherwise that door would remain unlocked if it was locked, then opened.
Temporary unlocking is very common practice for "intelligent" key systems. My Kia does exactly the same thing.

1. Lock car when inside with the fob.
2. Open the door from the inside and the car temporarily unlocks.
3. If you close the doors with the fob still in the car, it locks again when you shut the doors as it believes the driver is still in the car.

The OP probably hit the lock button on the fob when exiting.

Sponsored

Pokergeneg

POKERGENE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO
I'm offically stupid or my car is broken -- what is all this car honking stuff. My key is
always in my pocket and I never leave the engine running unless I am in the car; my
car has never honk -- I did hit the honk button once in the 2 1/2 mos since I had the
car just to see how it sound. "I will date a Plain Jane but I will never drive one".

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I'm offically stupid or my car is broken -- what is all this car honking stuff. My key is
always in my pocket and I never leave the engine running unless I am in the car; my
car has never honk -- I did hit the honk button once in the 2 1/2 mos since I had the
car just to see how it sound. "I will date a Plain Jane but I will never drive one".
Leave car running, exit with the fob, close door, walk away. Car will honk at you.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
You've only hit the horn once in 2 1/2 months? Seriously? I tap the horn at least five or six times a day, when somebody starts changing lanes into a lane I'm occupying, or when somebody takes too long pulling out of a light after it turns green, or when somebody slows down to 10 mph on an Avenue because they're trying to look for street signs to find what block they need to turn on.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
You've only hit the horn once in 2 1/2 months? Seriously? I tap the horn at least five or six times a day, when somebody starts changing lanes into a lane I'm occupying, or when somebody takes too long pulling out of a light after it turns green, or when somebody slows down to 10 mph on an Avenue because they're trying to look for street signs to find what block they need to turn on.
Exactlly. Constantly using the good ole horn.
Sponsored