Sponsored

So if I turn on my car with the push buttons, and get out...

jrt6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White Ford Mustang GT Premium, 6MT
I've tried this. Started my car and took the key out, gave it to my friend on the side walk and of course once I got back in it says key not detected. I put it in gear and drove right off...I drove all the way to the other side of his street and it didn't even cut out or anything. Good thing is most thieves can't drive stick, so they'll probably stall pretty quick, and then they can't start it back up.

So note to self: Either shut off the engine and lock the doors, or lock the doors before walking away with the engine on.
Sponsored

Reactions: 113

Litenin75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT/CS
You wouldn't want it to cut out if you were getting carjacked. You get out with the key and it shuts off when the guy with the gun tries to get away. He get outs unhappy and well..... On the other hand he can drive off but once he shuts it off he isn't going any further.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Hey guys did ya ever hear about the law suits about these keyless cars brought forth last month or so ..NHTSA ... so I did the experiments and these cars of ours can become Lethal within a closed enviroment because we stupid Humans do not turn them off ..

So ..ya can drive them away until ya run out of gas .. yeah the manufacturers have to come up with a fix and soon ...

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium

Sponsored

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I had a co-worker who picked up a car from someone and drove 40 min away. Then had to drive back and get the key that was still in his colleague's pocket. This is my first push button start car and is does play tricks on my mind occasionally. Just because it is running, doesn't mean the key is there.

I think the next step for FOBs etc, is for it to be coded onto your phone. Then you would never need the key, just your phone.

OP
OP
Digital_Synapse

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
You wouldn't want it to cut out if you were getting carjacked. You get out with the key and it shuts off when the guy with the gun tries to get away. He get outs unhappy and well..... On the other hand he can drive off but once he shuts it off he isn't going any further.
I'm the guy with the gun though, lol. I leave it on for my little dog when she's riding in the car. I'd be more pissed they took my dog than my car.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I had a co-worker who picked up a car from someone and drove 40 min away. Then had to drive back and get the key that was still in his colleague's pocket. This is my first push button start car and is does play tricks on my mind occasionally. Just because it is running, doesn't mean the key is there.

I think the next step for FOBs etc, is for it to be coded onto your phone. Then you would never need the key, just your phone.
I've misplaced/broken my phone countless more times than my keys.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
6MT driver here. You can start the car and get out with the fob in your pocket. The car does NOT lock itself, however you can use the key fob to lock the doors.

I had another push button start car that would not let you lock the car while running if the fob was outside the vehicle. Really annoying if you are trying to warm up the car in the winter but still wanted it locked. I'm glad the Mustang will let us do this.
Sponsored