Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
How so? Lots of challenges to cars breaking rules or something with the course or timing and scoring?
Well, where to start...

Damaged car in a wet 2nd day Pro Solo morning (course was a riot, I was on the limiter (~72 mph) through the finish - in the wet too). Later one of the participants working course suffered very very serious medical emergency (AED was used).

Saturday (1st day of the tour) our heat (5th last) got rained on about half way into first runs - by rained on - it was one of these extreme short lived storms that take out all canopies people have in the paddock. Heat ended up lasting almost 3 hours and ended past 8pm.

Then at 8:30pm drivers meeting was called and we were that protest was filed against course being nearly identical to the one organizing event ran on their local event in May and Saturday's results are invalidated because protest was found valid. (also - appeal has been filed and so everything is up in the air).

There are videos comparing both courses.

That created absolute (and almost impossible to miss) shitstorm on fb with extremely (IMO) reprehensible shaming of the person that filed the protest. Someone making comments to protester's 82 year old mother (who also participated) in the grid on Sunday was even worse.

That is more than enough than one event. Weather was less than ideal, Sunday there was more rain mid-day. From minor inconveniences, CAM-C ran last heat 3rd tour in a row so on Sunday was done at 5pm.

Personally, wasn't had some really good moments and some very much less than ideal ones - ended up one out of trophies in the Pro (red lights on two fastest right side runs - by half a second which would easily put me in the trophies - but woulda, coulda, blah, blah, blah - lights are part of the pro) and first ever trophy in the tour (regardless of what happens with Sat results - same position either way unless there are some DSQs handed over which I hope is not going to be the case - don't want any higher spot this way) and that despite having only first run to stand on on Sunday - majorly messed up the other two.

Also - put exhaust turn downs and then proceeded to lose them on course in two subsequent runs. And got a $179 speeding ticket for 74 in 55 from (not) friendly Kentycky State Police - while towing a trailer with the car on it....

MIght post some videos if I get time to do it before my overseas work trip tomorrow.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Crazy event.

Well at least the didn’t give you a ticket for the car inside the trailer too (technically it was also speeding?)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It was absolutely crazy. Lady that suffered the emergency (as of 4 hours ago) appears to be ok thankfully - she was on life support at some point and in medically induced coma.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wow. My buddy Brett and Kelly went up in their new to them BRZ (with Star Wars numbers/letters). I was going to ask them how it went, but that's a pretty solid run down!

Glad the lady is okay. Sounds wild.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I was expecting maybe one of those events, not all 17. Good lord.
I was reading Pete Bruschi's write up on FB, and it seemed like they had the fun-meter pegged all weekend.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I was reading Pete Bruschi's write up on FB, and it seemed like they had the fun-meter pegged all weekend.
He only showed up for a Tour (didn't attend the Pro) and made about 150 too many unnecessary posts on fb - if he only put his social media energy into driving, he'd be way better off....

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
F it. I'm buying toe plates and going to start doing front wheel alignments at home. Messing with springs too much lately and my usually go to alignment people are either on the complete opposite side of town or booked through september.

Anybody use toe plates? Looks pretty easy. Front to rear alignment is probably not a big deal, right? As long as the wheel is straight and the total toe is what you want, you're probably ok, right?

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
F it. I'm buying toe plates and going to start doing front wheel alignments at home. Messing with springs too much lately and my usually go to alignment people are either on the complete opposite side of town or booked through september.

Anybody use toe plates? Looks pretty easy. Front to rear alignment is probably not a big deal, right? As long as the wheel is straight and the total toe is what you want, you're probably ok, right?
Yep, front toe is simple. I marked the tie rods with which way to turn to add/remove toe and to track the number of turns. It's as simple as you imagine. I like the Longacre plates I bought from SPS because the tape measures they included are really nice for the task and the plates have magnets on the back to hold the hook end of the tape measure.

Rear toe -not so much. The toe and camber are related and changing one even a little changes the other a lot. It's made much easier with aftermarket upper control links which I think you've already done and toe plates still work. To get the thrust angle centered I use a level with a laser pointer in it to shoot a point to the front wheel where I put a steel scale ruler and measure the distance from the laser dot to the hub face or the center cap of the wheel. Just make sure that distance is the same on both sides and the thrust angle is zeroed.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

Honestly, strings are the way to go. If you're going to use plates, you might as well just go off the tread-block. This kit is a no-brainer in terms of cost. https://calipergarage.com/products/basic-string-alignment-kit-6tg32

This is far and away the easiest, most accurate and most precise way to set toe. There's a reason why Indycar and Lemans-type teams use this method almost across the board. The few that use lasers likely calibrated their systems off strings.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Honestly, strings are the way to go. If you're going to use plates, you might as well just go off the tread-block. This kit is a no-brainer in terms of cost. https://calipergarage.com/products/basic-string-alignment-kit-6tg32

This is far and away the easiest, most accurate and most precise way to set toe. There's a reason why Indycar and Lemans-type teams use this method almost across the board. The few that use lasers likely calibrated their systems off strings.
That looks neat. Thanks for the link!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

if I’m not intending to touch rear toe off a proper rack (because its a pita and I’m just swapping front bit), do you still like strings?

do you need plates at all if you have strings (for toe anyway)?

the price is right on picking up strings for sure.

im a noob at doing my own measurements (other than camber), so send the info, its appreciated.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Teelew is going to know better than me, but he is the guy I asked my original questions to.

It's simple, just sort of tedious. The big thing is, everyone has a "how they do it" sort of process. Just say consistent in the process. Once you get the brackets set up to hold your string, you can throw strings up in just a couple minutes.

I will never go back to an alignment shop. It's a fraction of the time to jack the car up, put on wood cribs (with garbage bags between the tire and crib). Settle the suspension (I have the exact spot marked in my garage), then set up strings. Measure, tweak, measure, done. Can be done in under an hour.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
ordered the string kit. Guess I'll try both and see what works for me.

Do you have any pics of the crib situation? What's the garbage bag for, to decrease friction so the wheel can turn or for something else?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I made 2x4's cut to 12", log cabined on top of each other, 2 in each direction. On the top crib, I have three 2x4's which gives a flat surface for the wheel to settle on.

You are correct, the trash bag allows the wheel to move freely.

1689869655221.png
Sponsored